Removing post count

epicstruggle

Passenger on Serenity
Veteran
Whats the likelyhood of removing post count from the board? Ive come to the sad realization that some people only post to see that number increase. Maybe, just maybe, we might lower some of the noise if there wasnt the post count feature.

anyways, just a suggestion,
epic

Weird... I can't say it's not possible, human stupidity being the only thing we are sure is infinite, but do you have any examples ?

Any mean to reduce noise is definetly a good idea.
(and if we could ban doom3 threads that would be nice too :p)

Killing the post count would be nice, honestly, it adds no value, merely more database load and bandwidth wasted.

Ingenu said:
Weird... I can't say it's not possible, human stupidity being the only thing we are sure is infinite, but do you have any examples ?

Any mean to reduce noise is definetly a good idea.
(and if we could ban doom3 threads that would be nice too :p)
Just check any thread in general or religion/politics board, the abuses are most evident there. One liners, emoticon only replies, thread craps,... Or the I just got place number X thread, or i just got X number of posts.

This same behavior is also evident in the main parts of the forum but to a lesser degree.

The games board should do a pretty big purge of doom3 threads, its just so freaking ridiculous, but i dont frequent that part of the board so it doesnt bother me that much.

Saem: yep, your absolutly correct

epic

martrox said:
Yes, but keep the little circles..... so you can tell the newbies from the oldies! :oops:

Utterly totally wrong, the date says that.
The post count means nothing, you can post little messages of high quality just like you can plague the board with fud, junk and emoticons...
Besides it's not because you're here since a long time that it makes you right or any smarter than the newcomers.

Good idea Epic.
If we have post count we may as well have a little place under our avatar showing our penis sizes and breast sizes.

I wonder what the top 4 will have to say about this :)
I haven't noticed that there would be overly much unecessary count increasing postings.
Apart from jvd's and l-b's race for the no.4. spot, there hasen't been glaringly obvious cases that I'd have paid attention to.

Maybe the post count doesn't serve any purpose, but it is fun to have.
If it could be removed from the actual message board from under the poster's name, maybe that would help, but it should be able to check from profiles and the ranking list.

K.I.L.E.R said:
Good idea Epic.
If we have post count we may as well have a little place under our avatar showing our penis sizes and breast sizes.
Surely you mean "penis sizes or breast sizes" :?

John Reynolds said:
I think this thread is just a sneaky way for Epic to increase his post count.

:devilish:
nrfntrlz.jpg

I wonder where all these "Top Posters" would be if we removed the General Discussion and Religion/stupid-shit forums. I'd have removed those forums if I ran this site but I don't. The problem is that a lot of folks that really care little about 3D or don't care to learn about 3D cross over from the two mentioned forums to the other 3D-related forums.

Personally (and this isn't a criticism of the way Dave runs/is satisfied with the way the forums are atm), I'd like to have a B3D forum that is more in line with what B3D is all about. ATM, B3D forums are continuously inviting new users that appeal very little to me as far as my view of B3D is concerned (but that's just me, of course).

B3D's forum is very very different from B3D's controlled content. It's inevitable I guess, since the the forums help a great deal with providing an amount of funds (from ads) necessary for the progress of B3D.

I wish B3D was more like Gamedev.net but, again, that's just me. I'm sure none of the "top B3D posters" appreciate having to think 3 times before making a post here.

It's a problem I face when inviting developers to actively participate in our forums. On one hand B3D is "attempting" to establish itself as a "good" 3D-centric site (including its forums). On the other hand, we need the ad funds, which means we can't be too strict. A few developers have expressed to me their reluctance (due to time constraints) to wade through the "noise" here. Even in the 3DHW&T forum, the noise is far too high for my liking (DW is annoying... please take no offence DW... it's just me and I am sure a lot of folks appreciate your participation here). The only forum with very low SNR is the 3D Arch&Coding forum -- 90% of folks here are probably just too scared to post there.

I hope I don't flamed for expressing my honest opinion.

Then again, it's just me.

PS. Poster rating feature would be good IMO.

Reverend said:
I wish B3D was more like Gamedev.net but, again, that's just me. I'm sure none of the "top B3D posters" appreciate having to think 3 times before making a post here.
Gamedev.net also has a lounge section. Their largest section in fact with over 1/2 million posts.
take a look at their top 25 hottest threads:
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/activestats.asp
maybe one or two deal with actual game dev.

I agree that the s/n ratio has take a dive for the worse. This thread was supposed to help in some small way with that. I think very very very very aggressive modding for a few weeks in the 3DHW&T forum is called for.

I have 4k+ posts, but a very small percentage of that is any technical discussion of 3d graphics. I try to only post if i have a pertanent question, i dont want to pollute any 3d thread with stupid comments instead ill read what others say and move along. I wish more people would stop posting one liners, or emoticon only posts (at least in the 3DHW&T forum).

epic
ps i plan soon join/starting conversations in the coding section as i plan on re-immersing my self in augmented reality.

Back