Remote Play and PS4 (and Sony crazy choices) *spawn

I'm not really into modding consoles. Maybe into the far future when PSVita support is completely discontinued I'll do that :)

off topic: Shifty G.; you can unregister any PS3/device from the sony entertainment network-website: that way you don't have to deal with calling people on the phone during work hours.

ontopic: remote play is amazing; yes. I finished Knack almost completely while in bed before sleep :p
Good times!!

edit: okay that sucks. Actually I don't even see the option to remote-unregister a device :-S

Last edited by a moderator:
off topic: Shifty G.; you can unregister any PS3/device from the sony entertainment network-website: that way you don't have to deal with calling people on the phone during work hours.
Not for movies, even though they give that option to click. Click it and it says to call them.

Ending remote play for PC makes sense in the way that Sony wants us to buy their Bravias/AV-Receivers/Vitas/Vita TVs/toasters to be able to do Remote Play. It's a business decision.

One thing I'd find extremely interesting would be to use a PS3 to play streamed PS4 games if they were in the same network. I'd say this should only work on wired connection because both the PS3 and PS4 only support single-stream 802.11n connections, but it should be interesting nonetheless.

One thing I'd find extremely interesting would be to use a PS3 to play streamed PS4 games if they were in the same network. I'd say this should only work on wired connection because both the PS3 and PS4 only support single-stream 802.11n connections, but it should be interesting nonetheless.
:???: Why can't PS3 Remote Play wirelessly when Vita can?

Maybe it could, but Vita's wireless streaming protocol only allows a 960*540 resolution with 2-channel audio.
Probably not what one would expect from a current-gen console.

Wifi can handle HD movie streams, so can handle HD PS4 games on PS3. You could even go high quality at 16 Mbps and fit in with the old 802.11g, although 8 Mbps or less would be good enough. Google suggests PSVita streaming is <1 Mbps!

Because streaming to the Vita may help you decide to get a Vita, but streaming to a PS3 isn't likely to net much in the way of an extra sale, but would require a fair bit of extra effort (difficult to develop for).

Wifi can handle HD movie streams, so can handle HD PS4 games on PS3. You could even go high quality at 16 Mbps and fit in with the old 802.11g, although 8 Mbps or less would be good enough. Google suggests PSVita streaming is <1 Mbps!
Wifi Direct is a protocol that I don't believe PS3 supports. Wifi Direct is the preferred connection for Vita Remote Play. If a Vita can not find a PS4 using Wifi Direct, only then will it drop back to looking for connections using wireless access points.

I'm assuming this is done to keep latency under control. Going via a wireless router will add a little latency, potentially a lot if the router is also connected to the PlayStation 4 wirelessly as well: Vita <wifi> wireless access point/router <wifi> PlayStation 4.

That's a fair point, although technically PS3 could still do Wifi remote play even if a lower quality. It wouldn't have to be wired network to work.

Sony just announced that Share Play service will arrive soon on PS4 [in firmware 2.0]. It will enable every PS4 to become mini Gaikai server, enabling users to "pass the controller" to distant friends over the web [they will stream the game from you] or to play couch coop games together via web.

Its free, and only limitation is that everyone has to have PS+ subscription.

i think the real limitation will be internet connection that lots of ISP have big DL speed but low UP speed.

Streaming to PS Vita is low resolution, low bandwidth. But streaming 1080p 60fps....

PSNow demands 5-6mbit, preffered is 12-13 [for data spikes].

Twitch uploads on PS4 are 0.5 - 2mbit [if I remember correctly].

Vita remote play is around 5mbit.

Have you a link to that? Best I could find was suggestions Vita Remote Play was < 1 Mbps.

Gaffers who tried RP via LTE on mobile phones reported that with 5mbits everything worked great, but any lower than that and game would start stuttering.

And there is no chance that RP is using just 1mbit. Image quality is too good for 1mbit.

And there is no chance that RP is using just 1mbit. Image quality is too good for 1mbit.

I was wondering just that too. Video quality using only some 768Kbit/s would look like ass on H264 in that gorgeous 5" screen.

4Mbit/s for a 540p video and 128Kbit/s for audio sounds a lot more realistic.

New Sony Xperia Z3/Z3 Compact phones support Remote Play with a DS4 attached:
http://www.dailytech.com/Sony+Launc...Will+Support+PS4+Remote+Play/article36499.htm

hZjaql3.jpg

I wonder if the video resolution will be the same as Vita's 540p.
These new devices support 802.11ac so they should be more comfortable receiving a much higher bitrate (assuming the PS4 is connected through the gigabit port to a 802.11ac router).

I also wonder how long it'll take for someone to hack the android app and allow Remote Play to be used with pretty much any android smartphone.

Back