Relationship between MS/Nvidia

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbot

Regular
This guy from ATI mentions that the the relationship between Nvidia and Microsoft wasn't well at all.

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showpost.php?p=4844420&postcount=358

quote:
While the pricing issue was what the public saw, there was more to the nVidia/MS relationship. As it turns out nVidia started pissing off MS way earlier in the process. Aparently nVidia really never had its heart in the matter to begin with. They did not allocate the resources necessary to achive targets, as well they did not communicate issue with MS. MS was left out of discussions regarding design/schedule problems. I also think they may have fed back some false information at some points.

All in all, I was told by a MS manager that they extremely pleased with the open and honest relationship they had with ATI. From what I saw, any time an issue came up, MS was kept in the loop. Any time MS wanted data, we were directly told to give exactly what we were currently working on and provide everything that would be needed to reproduce our efforts. Everything they were entitled to, they got. That's the kind of business practices that will get you more and more business. According to the MS rep I was talking to, he said working with ATI and nVidia was like day and night.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dave Baumann can you confirm this?

IDK, seems like another "DUDE, I WORK FOR NVIDIA/ATI/INTEL/AMD/IMB!" message board things.

If true, it would be interesting. For example, I never knew ATI had a design team in Toronto.

Geeforcer said:
IDK, seems like another "DUDE, I WORK FOR NVIDIA/ATI/INTEL/AMD/IMB!" message board things.

If true, it would be interesting. For example, I never knew ATI had a design team in Toronto.
The other post by the same guy who claims to work for ATi says
the team that worked on the Xenon GPU RTL was based out of Marborough while the physical design was done by a dedicated group within the Toronto site.
Though I don't totally believe what he wrote, well someone who works for ATi can bad-mouth the competitor, it's not that strange if you ask me. :LOL:

This is true, ask anyone at MS who worked on the xbox and they'll confirm it, unofficially of course.

Anyone remember Hercule's comments regarding working with nvidia? ;)

This thread belongs in the 3d Graphics Comany and Industry forum. I'll move it over.

You move it, I'll set the tone....

ativsnvidia.gif

Geeforcer said:

There are two offices in Toronto (well, Markham), the head office which has all the admin, PR, Marketing, Accountancy, etc. functions, all the MultiMedia design and software, driver software (mainly on the front end) and plenty of testing and verification suites. However, they also have an office right next door to the head office (which was their old head office) and more technical stuff comes out of here and includes initial reference board design, verification and fabrication (for all products, AFAIK) and I believe ATI's consumer division operates out of here. I was also rather surpised to learn myself that when R520 came back from the fab it didn't go to Cali, but Toronto, so it seems that ATI's primary silicon verification and bringup capacity exists within Toronto.

bbot said:
Aparently nVidia really never had its heart in the matter to begin with. They did not allocate the resources necessary to achive targets, as well they did not communicate issue with MS.
That part at least feels very unlikely, as every single rumor we've had regarding the XBox design teams compared to the NV30 ones, is that way *too much* resources went into the XBox. Considering that incoherency, the rest seems unreliable.
Now, MS could think NV didn't put enough and NV could think they put too much, but then the most likely answer is that MS really was expecting way too much.
Whether they relationship with ATI has been better or not, well I don't know, but this rumor seems half-reliable about it. Although it still feels incoherent to me...

Uttar

Yea I think Uttar has a good point. Not sure if we can believe everything we read. However like others we have posted this is not the first time we have heard about hard realtionships with NV....

While I may have absolutely no technical savvy or insider contacts the poor use of the English language contained in the post makes me suspect the info' may not be genuine.

Unless they all use French as the main language at ATi. :? :LOL:

First great system and then no money worries!

Wot can I say? I'm married. I don't have any money worries. The Wifey hasn't let me see any money for twenty years! :rolleyes:

but I digress. From what I read on various sites i gained the impression that the problem between M$/nV was that nV was trying to dictate the route that graphics would follow.

Uttar said:
bbot said:
Aparently nVidia really never had its heart in the matter to begin with. They did not allocate the resources necessary to achive targets, as well they did not communicate issue with MS.
That part at least feels very unlikely, as every single rumor we've had regarding the XBox design teams compared to the NV30 ones, is that way *too much* resources went into the XBox. Considering that incoherency, the rest seems unreliable.
Now, MS could think NV didn't put enough and NV could think they put too much, but then the most likely answer is that MS really was expecting way too much.
Whether they relationship with ATI has been better or not, well I don't know, but this rumor seems half-reliable about it. Although it still feels incoherent to me...

Uttar

Pov, Uttar, Pov. You're talking about the NV and pc-gaming Pov of that situation. The poster (if legit) was clearly fed from the MS/console Pov of that situation. I don't find it all that unusual that there would be a disconnect in their Povs, especially if there were also major communication issues as well (which is what the poster is alleging). I've been in a "resource struggle" with a vendor for three years on a project and I'll guarantee you that they see it differently than we do.

Tahir said:
Was there not a court case regarding pricing of NV chips in the XBOX that MS lost?
Yeah, MS decided since they were special they should pay Nvidia less than they agreed upon :) Unsurprisingly they lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back