Reinventing game design (or How to make a good Superman game) *spawn

Has there ever been a good Superman game?

Yes.

supes.jpg

F2P iOS game in which Superman rebuilds the city of Metropolis. Tie-in to Man of Steel/Dawn of Justice.

/fix

Last edited:
I'm just waiting to see the inevitable Batman v Superman movie-game tie in. Maybe it will start a wave of good Superham games, like Asylum did for the Batman games? I'm hoping for too much, you say?

Although the PlayStation 1's Batman and Robin" was not such a good game, it included elements like being able to use the Batcave, take the Batmobile out to get to or travel to objectives to fight thugs and collect clues...

I never trusted the glowing reviews on the Asylum games amd after playing them they were basically a room to room Dynasty Warriors type with puzzles and stealth mixed in...imho.

The last one seemed like a good idea until..they turned the Batmobile into a military tank weapon.

But that's making the content fit the tropes. Is it really a case that every game has to have a character who's health is gradually depleted to death for failure? I suppose that trope is genre specific as other genres have other objectives, such as puzzlers. So why not create the Superman game more like a puzzler? What actions and in which order to save the greatest number of people?

I can't believe that the reason a good Superman game can't be created is because the guy's physically invulnerable. I also recall games where you could play Supes and get killed, and they were just stupid in that respect. Why would a few bullets and a missile kill this rendition of Superman completely out of character? Because the devs couldn't come up with anything more original...

The comics have also suffered from crap writers who kept making Supes stronger and fight pushovers.

Ignoring many of the few good foes who have the strength to match.

I think there is a way. Superman is no human. He is a god among us.

So let's him discover new worlds for us. :) Give him a camera and start broadcasting documentaries for the BBC on other planets.

Imagine a Superman game where you could travel between planets yourself, getting asteroids out of the way. Confronting other inhabitants from his original planet, fighting hostile demons and monsters in super planets, and odd worlds. Worlds where Superman could be as interesting as a human, where his super powers would be really necessary rather than making him inmortal. :smile2:

I'd love to program a game like that myself.

From time to time he would be back to earth to visit his romantic interest.

Sounds good until the God among us part because Superman comes from what is believed to be a far away galaxy...with a red Solar Star and denser biology to allow his alien race to become super powered which is a type of plot device hole because creatures from similar star systems should become a match or stronger than Superman...

Just keep the game grounded in what can harm him and what can't...

The only way I see a Superman game being fairly true to the character is if the gameplay is a mix between Dragonball games and Prototype/Infamous.
And the caveat of being so powerful would be to stop the villains while avoiding the destruction of cities around.

I would like a game in which we control the young adult Klark that is just discovering the possibilities of his powers, finding the fortress of solitude, training, spending a lot of time trying to reign-in his powers against various weaker enemies, and finally encountering first big Earth-threating event by the end of the game.

Basically Man of Steel, but with much longer in-depth buildup before he start fighting on the massive scale. Put the several chapters on the dying Krypton [JorEl visions in FoS], and I'm ready to throw money on the screen.

As for gameplay, I am totally open on the full on Arkhamverse ripoff, just in much larger world [or big hubs across the world, like Farm+Smallville, Fortress+frozen wasteland, Metropolis]. I also like the suggestion that part of aerial combat can rip-off ZOE.

Back