Region locked coming to PS3?

PS3 obeys region locks on PS2 and PS1 games since the beginning. Unless we get more info on what game the author is trying to play, it's hard to say either way.

I suppose a game may include rights for regional content, so that capability may be used too if the developers need to enforce such rules (May be those ported PS2 games ?)

From what I can gather from other sources it's not even a game it's netflix. Which seems sort of like a duh since hulu and evenyoutube lock out content on other regions.

Ha ha, then it's actually a good thing. Without this capability, you may not be able to get a lot of existing content.

Since this has been brought up I have recently encountered something that may nit necessarily be region lock. I logged in with my Japanese account and tried to run my EU opy of Tekken 6. I got a message that said it did not match the profile and it wouldnt play.

Well, a few places. Some media outlets, some forums, etc.

Basically, some genius tried to run Netflix on his French PS3, and naturally it's region locked. Somehow this information got reported as "PS3 FW 3.50 NOW HAS REGION LOCKING" which is largely incorrect, since what little region locking there is on the system has been there for AGES.

So yea, basically took no news, blew it up, and made a fuss out of nothing.

Since this has been brought up I have recently encountered something that may nit necessarily be region lock. I logged in with my Japanese account and tried to run my EU opy of Tekken 6. I got a message that said it did not match the profile and it wouldnt play.

Did you copy the save-file beforehand to your Japanese account? If I am not mistaken, this error message is due to the save-file which is locked to the account it was created with. I've encountered this with Soul Calibur 4 as well (never tried it in Tekken 6).

If Tekken 6 is anything like SC4, you can forget trying to copy save-files to different profiles let alone different PS3s... :???:

Well, a few places. Some media outlets, some forums, etc.

Basically, some genius tried to run Netflix on his French PS3, and naturally it's region locked. Somehow this information got reported as "PS3 FW 3.50 NOW HAS REGION LOCKING" which is largely incorrect, since what little region locking there is on the system has been there for AGES.

So yea, basically took no news, blew it up, and made a fuss out of nothing.

Maybe Sony should take a hint to not show icons that can't be used anyway. I.e. if they're already using GeoIP to decide who gets to use certain services, also use GeoIP to either enable/disable the icon in the first place. That way, you only get to see what you can effectively use.

They've done this rather well in the PSN store where video content (movie trailers) is blocked out more or less completely depending on what IP you are accessing PSN with.

Did you copy the save-file beforehand to your Japanese account? If I am not mistaken, this error message is due to the save-file which is locked to the account it was created with. I've encountered this with Soul Calibur 4 as well (never tried it in Tekken 6).

If Tekken 6 is anything like SC4, you can forget trying to copy save-files to different profiles let alone different PS3s... :???:

I never tried to copy it to my Japanese account. But I will check in case I did it by accident

Maybe Sony should take a hint to not show icons that can't be used anyway. I.e. if they're already using GeoIP to decide who gets to use certain services, also use GeoIP to either enable/disable the icon in the first place. That way, you only get to see what you can effectively use.

They've done this rather well in the PSN store where video content (movie trailers) is blocked out more or less completely depending on what IP you are accessing PSN with.

They do, actually. The BBC i-Player, for example, doesn't show up on US accounts even if installed on an EU account on the same system. However, it's inconsistent. The video service for China, for example, once installed shows up on all accounts, even of different regions. I'm guessing it comes down to them not really caring about people with multiple region accounts seeing icon's they can't use. Is the Netflix player showing up for everyone even people without a US account on their PS3?

Just tried it. The Netflix icon appears on my US account but not my EU account. If I click the icon I get a message that this program will only run on PS3's sold in the US or Canada. The next message says this application needs to be installed, which I declined.

Just tried it. The Netflix icon appears on my US account but not my EU account. If I click the icon I get a message that this program will only run on PS3's sold in the US or Canada. The next message says this application needs to be installed, which I declined.

i hope it wont be device locked forever either since I d like to be able to use it at some point in time

Back