Redout [XO, PS4]

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
Finally! A game that resembles F-Zero for Nintendo consoles or Wipeout, a must needed inclusion for the gaming library of the Xbox One -and by extension, the Xbox 360-. It looks very nice and slick. It belongs to one of my favourite genres....

The game could also launch on the PS4 and PC.

Last edited:
According to the developers, 34BigThings, the game is developed using Unreal Engine 4 --the link to the article where they mention that talks about Screen Space Reflections, the big thing some months ago, a technology Red Out is going to use.

http://34bigthings.com/screen-space-reflections/

Screen Space Reflections are being treated as the current big thing any next-gen game should have since when Crytek showed them in their famous Crysis 2 DirectX 11 update. So what are they? Unreal Engine 4 (the engine we are currently using for Red:OuT) supports them using a hierarchical system of local cubemaps: basically polling the environment around these probes to calculate quasi-perfect reflections in real time. In case the technical part intrigues you, you can read more about their implementation here: https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Resources/Showcases/Reflections/index.html

I've read an article today on the Bloodhound SSC, which is allegedly the fastest car on earth and it's meant to beat every single speed record in the upcoming months. While it's just a car and not a "ship", it just reminded me of this game. Arcade games like this and F-Zero are the typical games I can play for hours and hours and I don't get bored.

Here is a GIF of the game:

jibzambesdgknklhkazc.gif

Looks exactly like Wipeout, albeit made a little on the cheap side. Can someone be sued over such blatant plagiarism? After all we live in a world where people cannot use the name "scrolls" in their game titles anymore.
Anyway, hope it turns out well. Given the genre's spotty track record, making a good future racer seems like a pretty tough ordeal.

Looks exactly like Wipeout, albeit made a little on the cheap side. Can someone be sued over such blatant plagiarism? After all we live in a world where people cannot use the name "scrolls" in their game titles anymore.
Anyway, hope it turns out well. Given the genre's spotty track record, making a good future racer seems like a pretty tough ordeal.
I seem to remember that many of the old Wipeout devs moved on to a new studio and were working on a new Wipeout clone, so it's hardly plagiarism and more of a 'Sony closed our studio so here is our new game' kind of situation. If it's them!! I have no idea.

Also, I have never heard of plagiarism in the games industry. With the myriad of clones being released every 2 minutes, it would be a complete mess.

Anti-grav racers were around a long time before WipEout; my first was Electronic Arts' Powerdrome on the Amiga which came out in 1988 (Atari ST) and 1989 (Amiga).

There's already a Giana Sisters game on PSN. It's nothing like the original though.

Anti-grav racers were around a long time before WipEout; my first was Electronic Arts' Powerdrome on the Amiga which came out in 1988 (Atari ST) and 1989 (Amiga).
That's very interesting because although the Wikipedia article also mentions 128 bits era of consoles and the PC versions, I thought that F-Zero was the precursor of space racing games, and those are some of favourite genres ever. I am sure Wipeout was released after F-Zero though.

I found these two videos. The artwork of the main screen is cool.

You learn something new everyday. Live and learn..
There's already a Giana Sisters game on PSN. It's nothing like the original though.
No, t'sno t. I have it on the Xbox One and the game is plenty fun.
That looms awesome, definite buy for me.if it's on the PC. I loved F-Zero and Wipeout.
I just played Wipeout like in the late 90s on the PC and maybe at a friend's house on a PS -not 100% sure.

Plus, F-Zero is in my top 10 games/franchises ever. Now that @DSoup talked about antigrav games, I got Antigrav Racing Championship on the XNA games section for the Xbox 360.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/P...pionship/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8025855035f

And that's the closest thing to F-Zero I've ever seen or played on any Xbox console. It had the different cups, tracks, the little amount of ships -still, it was well managed, I prefer having just a few vehicles instead of a thousand...- with specs that make them unique and so on. Unlocking stuff is also usually very well done in those games.

download.jpg
Anybody remember this game for the Sega Saturn? It was sort of their answer for Wipeout. It had slightly glitchy graphics like a lot of early Saturn titles, but it was a blast to play. The game is called Cyber Speedway.

nevr heard of that game before but looks interesting. Why on earth did they choose rock for the soundtrack??

This thread reminds me of Quantum Redshift an original Xbox Wipeout variant that seems will never see the light of day again which is a shame as I thought it was pretty good all those years ago. Which in turn reminds me once again of playing Wipeout 2097 on an Blizzard accelerated Amiga 1200 tower, a very rare gaming experience and one for the serious Amiga enthusiast.

nevr heard of that game before but looks interesting. Why on earth did they choose rock for the soundtrack??
Rock? It sounds more like new age to me or something similar, but the song is catchy so I am going to listen to it again and decide...

This thread reminds me of Quantum Redshift an original Xbox Wipeout variant that seems will never see the light of day again which is a shame as I thought it was pretty good all those years ago. Which in turn reminds me once again of playing Wipeout 2097 on an Blizzard accelerated Amiga 1200 tower, a very rare gaming experience and one for the serious Amiga enthusiast.
Wish I knew that game, it's the first time I've heard of Quantum Redshift, or maybe not, maybe I heard about the game but never knew it was similar to F-Zero or Wipeout (I never liked to use weapons on Wipeout, that's why I used to favour skill on F-Zero), if I knew I'd purchase it back in the day, from day one...

Back