Red Dead Redemption

As an audio guy, i fully appreciate what R* have done! Just a pity the vid im watching is s**t! Still, less than a week to go now. Any B3D`ers setting any "mobs" up for online shenanigans?

Sucks that early 20th century didn't had walkman... would've loved some music while riding horses...heh !
As an audio guy, i fully appreciate what R* have done! Just a pity the vid im watching is s**t! Still, less than a week to go now. Any B3D`ers setting any "mobs" up for online shenanigans?
which ver are you getting, I have decided on the PS3 ver.

I guess until the likes of DF/LOT etc etc weigh in with comparisons. When do the reviews land? Must be soon surely?
No idea, is there still any sort of embargo going on ?
The game's releasing in 2 days & I really want to know if the version I am getting sucks or not.

according to a guy on GAF with PS3 version, all systems are go for PS3. Not sure if technical nuances exist when comparing both versions directly ala' GTA where PS3 had lower res and less AA but it seems from comments that these are now on even footing.

Most recent game from R* San Diego was Midnight Club LA (same engine i believe) which ran well on PS3 with slightly lower res.

oh and embargo ends Monday night I believe

Doesn't one of the PS3's GTA4 add-ons have an improved frame rate over GTA4? DF or someone did an analysis.

I don't think it matters anymore (as long as they fixed the blur filter in GTA4). We have a really wide range of beautiful titles today from sub-HD to 60Hz + MLAA ones.

I don't think it matters anymore (as long as they fixed the filter in GTA4). We have a really wide range of beautiful titles today from sub-HD to 60Hz + MLAA ones.

Im not bothered so much about screen res, just a more stable framerate. I suspect R/Star will of improved their PS3 tech but to what degree. Like I say, we'll know soon enough.

Remember to post impressions. I don't have much time to game these days. Have been working 36 hours straight now to cover for some missing people. They better come back fast. @_@
[size=-2]3D Dot Heroes is playing behind me, but I can't leave my seat ![/size]

from another PS3 user

Originally Posted by Death Dealer:
I just got the game for PS3 today. Messed around with it for an hour. Graphics are beautiful although in some areas, particularly the towns, you notice more aliasing and some texture crawl. Marston's model looks good. You can see the veins in his hands. Overall textures have been sharp, except the first fort I arrived at, there is a cutscene and some of the wall textures looked a bit bland, but nothing obtrusive.

I think I can see some form of edge smoothing. It looks like there is a variety of adaptive anti-aliasing happening. Some edges look jaggy, and other edges that should look jaggy, don't. Performance has been wonderful. Nice improvement from GTA4. Really enjoying it so far. Although the beginning kind of sucks because you have to play along, if you take off with a horse into the sunset you "fail the mission" and die.
oh and evidently custom music works on PS3 too for this game :D

from another PS3 user

oh and evidently custom music works on PS3 too for this game :D

It is amazing what they are doing with the consoles. Rockstar shows that they can put up some great visuals and that the DVD is not really a deal breaker for the 360 because of all the stuff Red Dead Redemption has shown they can put on a disc. Amazing really.

Interesting new tidbits about hunting and the wildlife (some of the things I am most interested in):

http://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption/features/wildlifeandhunting

Each animal in Red Dead Redemption has its own unique behaviors: dogs will chase wagons, or bark at potential enemies. Barnyard animals will herd together, taking fright at loud noises. Large birds will scavenge from corpses, while predators like bears or wolves will put on aggressive threat displays and fearlessly attack humans.

Here are a few of the ones you may encounter across the world. Click on the image of each for a full size illustration and more info.

Hunting was a vital means of survival in the West. In Red Dead Redemption, animals in the ecosystem will prey on each other – and sometimes even on you or your horse. Protect and defend yourself with the aid of trusty weapons and tools - or go on the offensive and hunt for sport and profit. You can purchase special items to aid in hunting and drawing out more elusive game. After a successful kill, animals can be skinned or plucked and then traded for goods with local merchants.

There is going to bait to help you hunt:
Attracts all animals in the vicinity to your location. To properly use Bait, get off your horse and pour it on the ground, then move a good distance away from the spill zone so you don’t scare the animals away that you’re trying to attract.

Binoculars to help your eyes:
When equipped, binoculars will extend your field of vision and allow you to spot animals off in the distance. These trusty field glasses can be purchased at certain general stores across the frontier.

And a hunting knife to help your ... hands:
The true sportsman's ultimate all purpose tool. In addition to helping you to fend off enemies at close range, the knife is essential for hunting, allowing you to skin animals for valuable pelts and hides.

Hunting related pictures:

Watched a friend play some of the 360 version today and even tried it out a bit myself. Overall, my first impression was GTA in the West. It really is, from the way the game starts, to all the game features and the way things are set up. It's not a bad thing, it only makes sense I guess. The game looks great overall though and as with GTA4, the cutscenes and story telling are top notch and it was very awesome hearing the Spaghetti Western style music at the beginning as you take control for the first time. I'm very tempted to get it for my PS3, but I'm thinking of waiting out for a possible PC version of which I have a big hunch will be announced some time later, probably arriving for Christmas this year. One thing I'm hoping for is DLC that expands on the world itself. I took a look at the game's world map, and it's obviously very huge and there will be plenty to do, but even for a western it seems a bit small to me. I just want absolutely huge open spaces.

Good stuff from lagoonalight in that thread. Anyway why does GTA IV not compare to RDR in open world?

Its more like living city vs open desert with some small dessert settlement.
If you have less things to render you can up the draw distance and other effects.

Did i do it right?;)

Back