Red Dead Redemption

Is this an evolution of the GTA4 engine?

Also, if they can make GTA5 at this graphical quality, particularly with regards to the artwork, then it's going to be amazing...

That's like 1% of the entire graphics engine ;) and licensed middleware anyway, that could be integrated into any engine.

What I've meant was the LOD engine, lighting and shadows, shaders etc. GTA4 had some very noticeable LOD transitions, lots of shadow artifacting, simple looking shaders on most things and so on. But it might be possible that some tweaking and higher quality artwork would be enough to produce such a jump in visuals...

That's like 1% of the entire graphics engine ;) and licensed middleware anyway, that could be integrated into any engine.

What I've meant was the LOD engine, lighting and shadows, shaders etc. GTA4 had some very noticeable LOD transitions, lots of shadow artifacting, simple looking shaders on most things and so on. But it might be possible that some tweaking and higher quality artwork would be enough to produce such a jump in visuals...

Actually animation isnt part of graphics engine!:p sorry i couldnt resist hehe

I didnt mean to come across like i ment the animation is what makes me think its an evolution of the GTA4 engine. I just ment yes it does look like the GTA4 engine, and on a side note i noticed the animation looks very familiar.
Cant put my finger on it but it does have a GTA4 feeling about it overall, its definately not the art giving that impression so id susspect it must be the engine, although much improved.

I thought the animation was still mocapped/keyframed, and that Euphoria was just used for situations where those techniques wouldn't work (falling/flailing, properly 'random' drunk walking).

I thought the animation was still mocapped/keyframed, and that Euphoria was just used for situations where those techniques wouldn't work (falling/flailing, properly 'random' drunk walking).

I think euphoria works alongside mocap, as in it is on all the time but you only notice it when something is outside of the normal mocap animation, rather than it either being a mocap only animation or euphoria only in different situation. Similar to the animation blending in uncharted, except your not blending two mocapped animations but blending mocap with a procedurally generated animation. I guess that how it works anyhow dont take my word for it ;)

Is this an evolution of the GTA4 engine?

Also, if they can make GTA5 at this graphical quality, particularly with regards to the artwork, then it's going to be amazing...

Yeah, this is the first game with the upgraded engine. Is the engine called Rage?

I think it looks great. The ragdoll and physics look very convincing!

I hope this game has co-op. I was just thinking how funny it would be to see the B3D "posse". Everyone wearing boots, cowboy hats, riding horses, chewing tobacco, spitting, and fanning six shooters.

I hope this game has co-op. I was just thinking how funny it would be to see the B3D "posse". Everyone wearing boots, cowboy hats, riding horses, chewing tobacco, spitting, and fanning six shooters.

I'm guessing it will have a "Free Play" mode for multiplayer like GTA4. At least I'm hoping so. Doing the missions co-op would be better, but I think that's not gonna happen.

Extensive coop is about the only way to pressure me into this game :smile:

good read on Gamespot....

some cool feedback on the physics

GS: The duo of Rage (Rockstar's internal engine) and Euphoria (an animation system from Natural Motion seen in games like The Force Unleashed) combined to make Grand Theft Auto IV look and feel very natural, in terms of graphics and the way things moved in the game. Can you tell us in layman's terms what sorts of improvements you've made to that tech during the development of Redemption (the immediately noticeable improvements as well as the more subtle ones)?

TC:
When we first saw Natural Motion's technology, we felt that it represented the future of character physics for any shooter and knew we had to have a system like that in our games. Natural Motion provides us with a physically based character performance system that we have tightly integrated into Rage's proprietary physics engine. Instead of using canned animations, key injury and death reactions can now be accomplished entirely within a physics simulation. While staggering and falling, characters will realistically collide with nearby props and tumble down slopes. Because of its tight integration with Rage physics (rather than a third-party physics package), we are able to leverage all the benefits that our own highly optimized physics engine provides.

For Red Dead Redemption, we invested a great deal of effort into creating a natural-looking stagger/fall performance--critical to dramatic and unique gunshot reactions in a classic Western environment. Instead of fighting to maintain upright balance like characters in GTAIV, characters who get knocked over will "ride the momentum" of the impact like a real stunt man would. When colliding with the environment, the resulting reaction is not just physical, but performance-based--for example, glancing impacts with walls use true body mechanics to spin the character away, flip over a railing, fall down the stairs, get dragged by a horse, or whatever the environment calls for.

Also new to Red Dead Redemption are body-part-specific gunshot reactions that were created specifically for this game. Characters will react differently to gunshots to their gut, back, legs, arms, and torso. Characters who are suffering from a gut injury will physically crawl away from their attacker until they eventually bleed out. You can shoot their legs as they crawl away, and the legs will lose strength. Even horses have physical death behaviors in Red Dead Redemption--to mimic stunt horses from Western films. When they fall, they raise their heads to avoid the ground, and a realistic tendon simulation keeps their hind legs in anatomically accurate poses. Our proprietary animation tools provide us with the ability to dynamically mix and match Natural Motion behaviors and tightly integrate Natural Motion behaviors with the game engine like never before.

Red Dead Redemption: Once Upon a Time in the West

"I was always slightly scared and slightly running away from the fact that we'd never written a game dialogue-wise that wasn't contemporary," says Houser, "As time was moving on and it was becoming a reality we had to figure out a good linguistic style for these people to speak that didn't sound ludicrously anachronistic but equally didn't sound ludicrously slow and bombastic. It was about finding a sweet spot where the characters felt like they were from the time but didn't feel cold and austere."

It's helped along by some typically sterling voice work – and if you'll excuse the hyperbole Red Dead Redemption's cutscenes highlight the fact that Rockstar works in a different stratosphere to many of its competitors in this area, its game's digital actors easily eclipsing the likes of Heavy Rain and Mass Effect 2 by delivering dialogue that's both characterful and nuanced.

Red Dead Redemption Delayed To May

Rockstar: Red Dead Needs A Little More Polish

While speaking to investors, Take-Two CEO Ben Feder said Red Dead Redemption had been delayed because of "optimal" release schedules. Developers Rockstar say something a little different. "We at Rockstar have always prided ourselves on the uncompromising quality of our games - and will always opt to take a bit longer to polish and fine-tune a game to be as perfect as possible when we think it necessary" a company representative says. "With Red Dead Redemption, we felt that these extra few weeks will make a big difference in helping us deliver you an experience beyond your expectations."
Now that sounds a lot more likely. Bit of a double-edged piece of news, this; it's good that they're taking the time to polish it a little more (it certainly helped Batman: Arkham Asylum), but then, it's worrying that a game due so soon still needed some work.

Back