Red Dead Redemption

[stab the cat with a dagger]

Eastwood and Vancleef>>>>>Crowe.
KlintIndifference.gif
vancleef.gif

Well it pretty much followed Unforgiven in that it was all about deconstructing the genre and its archetypes... Not really a western IMHO, although a very good movie.

The last good Western in fact.

Off topic but I would argue that the Aussie flick "The Proposition" ranks up there with "Unforgiven" as a classic modern western (assuming that it is not absolutely required that such a period piece take place in the US). Maybe the next Red Dead iteration can take place in Australia?

Off topic but I would argue that the Aussie flick "The Proposition" ranks up there with "Unforgiven" as a classic modern western (assuming that it is not absolutely required that such a period piece take place in the US). Maybe the next Red Dead iteration can take place in Australia?

I will check it out... Quigley Down Under is the only Western style film set in Australia I recall. :smile:

have not done a midnight launch since 2005 for my hardware but headin' out tonight to pick this up so I have a few hours in the am free with it :smile:

I consider Infamous to be pretty much the best example of how an open world game should handle traveling.....its so much fun with all the parkour, mini missions & random enemies. Nothing seems too far away, nor does it feels very close..

I consider Infamous to be pretty much the best example of how an open world game should handle just about everything: from the tight controls to the diverse mission design to the reaction of the pedestrians to the story progression to the collectibles - everything was handled in a near flawless fashion.

This game is real purdy.

Edit: Best gaming day ever? Alan Wake and Red Dead Redemption for me. Alan Wake is pretty cool. Red Dead Redemption seems awesome so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scott, when my 360 returns from the grave we gotta chat. Lets see if you can convince me to buy :p I could get into a great western MP game!

Hi community, I'm not much of a tech guy so please excuse my obvious ignorance. I bought the PS3 version of RDR today and absolutely love it, but the graphics appear to be really jaggy, dull and kind of blurred. I don't believe that this an accurate representation of the game and feel that the problem could be my hardware settings on either my PS3, monitor, or a combination of both.

To be more specific here, I have a 24" Acer H243H monitor with full HD 1080p support. I recently switched my PS3 settings from 1080p down to 720p figuring that maybe that was the problem but I was wrong. Anyway, I'm kind of stumped here and would definitely appreciate some help.

I watched it long ago. How does the movie hold up ?

Apparently I missed Unforgiven (1992). :(
Will have to check it out.

It holds up fairly well actually! Unforgiven is a must see, good stuff.

This game is everything they said it would be.... wow.

Sweet :) Mine is mere miles away, should be here Wednesday or Thursday.

Scott, when my 360 returns from the grave we gotta chat. Lets see if you can convince me to buy :p I could get into a great western MP game!

Ooooh that sucks. Hey did I mention that my copy is merely a day or two away? :) I'm normally not hugely into western games, but this one looks like it will be real fun multi player so I'm down.

Hi community, I'm not much of a tech guy so please excuse my obvious ignorance. I bought the PS3 version of RDR today and absolutely love it, but the graphics appear to be really jaggy, dull and kind of blurred. I don't believe that this an accurate representation of the game and feel that the problem could be my hardware settings on either my PS3, monitor, or a combination of both.

To be more specific here, I have a 24" Acer H243H monitor with full HD 1080p support. I recently switched my PS3 settings from 1080p down to 720p figuring that maybe that was the problem but I was wrong. Anyway, I'm kind of stumped here and would definitely appreciate some help.

I don't believe you're doing anything wrong, it looks like that normally. I played it all last night and really enjoyed it. Yeah it is definitely rendered lower than 720p, and combined with the aliasing and alpha shimmering was quite distracting at the start. I found as I went on though that those issues kinda disappeared and its graphical strengths shined through. It really is a gorgeous game, the lighting and detail is superb.

Your going to notice it a lot more though on the smaller display and I assume, sitting close to it. I'm playing 10' away on a 46" 1080p LCD (really the way a console should be played)

Amazing game R*.

Its probably better if you increase the sharpness & contrast of your monitor, will make it somewhat less noticeable. QAA will really blur the image though, its the bigger offender than the lower 640p res.

But as Malo suggested you'll notice the flaws a lot more if you play close to your screen.

Back