RE4 announced for PS2.

jarrod said:
unless the French come out in record numbers for the game
I can easily anwser this question: no. It was successful, but not enough to help with the fact that it bombed in the US.

As most people suspected, there was a lot more to the PS2 port than what Capcom said in their press release.

Syobo Online just posted this:

"First off, the breaking of exclusivity in this case was not because of user demand, but a plan to boost the stock price, as some already understood, but it seems like there has been confrontation between the developers and the management who are following shareholders' instructions. Capcom nowadays is different to when Okamoto worked there, the development team's voice seems weaker than before. It also looks like a lot of skilled staff will leave the company after the GC version of 4 is finished. But the people behind this rebellion are the developers, and they ask that you don't blame Mikami or Kobayashi. The GC version of 4 is the last one that Mikami will be involved in, the PS2 version will be passed on to someone else. People who used to work at Capcom are also shocked by this news."

I was also unaware about the number of people who did not know Mikami was leaving. It was announced around April that Shinji would leave to work at Clover Studios, a new studio at Capcom, after RE4. What I didn't know was that Hideki Kamiya was also transferring to Clover Studios and that Okamoto has left Capcom completely. Hideki was next most likely person to head the Resident Evil series and now PS4 and PS7 are left with no directors of any great experience when it comes to RE or even survival horror.

Given that Kobayashi said RE4 would mark the end of the current storyline that revolves around the T-virus, Umbrella, etc and that future RE games would concentrate on a completely new and unrelated story, it would seem that RE as we know it will end with RE4.

http://www.rehorror.com/

For a little clairifcation, Clover Studio isn't actually part of Capcom but it's an invested subsidiary. Similar to Flagship.

Wow thanks for that bit of info guys. :oops:

Nintendo should fund a new development studio for those two guys and have games made exclusively for Nintendo's Revolution. ;) :devilish:

Hideki was next most likely person to head the Resident Evil series and now PS4 and PS7 are left with no directors of any great experience when it comes to RE or even survival horror.

Oh so let me get this straight, now that the RE director(s) is going down the drain, there will be no more "survival horror" games worthy of that genre name??? Cause he was the only one who could make a good survival horror game??
Maybe someone should look at their own competition, many people have been making much better survival horror games, or horror games altogether, for a LOOOOOONG time....
This is not to discredit the RE series, i'm just saying, that statement was a bit out of hand...

PC-Engine said:
An army without a leader is doomed.

Looks like even most of the army is going so...

To be honest, i've been playing much better horror games than the RE series since RE1. Maybe a change in director and teams is for the best, since the RE has been stuck in the same place for the last 10 years.

Oh and PLEASE. PLEASE. No more RE movies....

Because I thought GH was friggin awesome!!! Scared the bajeebus out of me!!! :LOL:

The world will be a very scary place (pun intended) if all we have to look forward to in horror games is GH and the SH series. :oops:

PC-Engine said:
Because I thought GH was friggin awesome!!! Scared the bajeebus out of me!!! :LOL:

I played the demo, that was enough to lose interest in anything Sony produces in the UK. After The Getaway and many others, that was the last time i even look at one of their UK produced games. Fantastic graphics (arguable), but i need to play games. I still haven't finished Farcry and Doom3, lost interest completely and i can't force myself to finish them.

PC-Engine said:
So are you going to elaborate on what those other horror games you thought was better?

I always thought the SH series was "scarier" than the RE series. Maybe because zombies stopped being scary when i was 4. The SH series, in my opinion, conveys a sense of fear which is more effective than the RE series, which is nothing more than an action game with zombies. RE might be a survival horror game, but it's not "scary".
I did think that SH2 was much scarier than SH3 though, and i still haven't bought SH4, i'm waiting for the PC version. Actually i'm waiting to find the money to buy it.
Also the FF series and Siren were quite scary, although i never finished them. Or played them extensively.

Thanks for those thoughts. I don't know about those other games because I haven't played them, but some of the RE games were scary for me. When I first played RE:CV in a room by myself in the evening with lights out, it was pretty scarry. The heartbeat/rumble feature was a nice touch. I always get startled when playing RE games.

PC-Engine said:
I haven't yet seen The Grudge but the trailers look really scary. I'll probably get the DVD though.
Get it, and watch it either on your own or with someone who wont talk. And in the dark. Surround sound LOUD.

I always watch all DVD movies in the evening with lights off because it makes the picture standout like in theaters so I'm sure I'll be thoroughly scared. :( :oops: :eek: o_O

Good, i mean, i'm not the kind of guy who gets scared with movies, The Ring had very little effect on me, Dark Water too... But holy crap, The Grudge is heavy on the scare factor.

Back