Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction

It's obvious why he and almost everybody else disagrees. It's probably better you explain why this is not impressive to you, giving some examples of games on the market now that are more impressive in this genre.

Btw, you probably picked the wrong username. Definitely not eagle-eye vision qualities here... ;)

It's obvious why he and almost everybody else disagrees. It's probably better you explain why this is not impressive to you, giving some examples of games on the market now that are more impressive in this genre.
Bland textures, low geometry level, average lighting...
You can check the locked thread for my thoughts on what game looks better.
Btw, you probably picked the wrong username. Definitely not eagle-eye vision qualities here... ;)
Yours on the other hand seems pretty fitting :rolleyes:

Yours on the other hand seems pretty fitting :rolleyes:

As far as I am concerned you two should switch user names. Now please get back on topic already? For what it's worth, it's fine with me to discuss the quality of the graphics of this game, but do it in detail, and in a civilised manner. It may also be wise to await some more reliable screens ...

OK, could you give some reasons why you disagree?

My impressions from the scans:

The lighting, shadows, texture work are absolutely awesome. It seriously looks so smooth and CG-ish like from the old trailer. Also, the foliage is reminiscent of Uncharted's . The big screen with a big rainbow at the top that seriously made me a nut twice. It's one of the best next-gen screens I've ever seen (now LBP is far beyond). Not a jaggie in sight. It looks so smooth and cg cartoon-like. Abd all of the enemies look equally as insane, as well as the structures and buildings. This game looks a step above everything I've seen (except for BLP).

My impressions from the scans:

The lighting, shadows, texture work are absolutely awesome. It seriously looks so smooth and CG-ish like from the old trailer. Also, the foliage is reminiscent of Uncharted's . The big screen with a big rainbow at the top that seriously made me a nut twice. It's one of the best next-gen screens I've ever seen (now LBP is far beyond). Not a jaggie in sight. It looks so smooth and cg cartoon-like. Abd all of the enemies look equally as insane, as well as the structures and buildings. This game looks a step above everything I've seen (except for BLP).
First. We don't know if the AA is real or simply BS, like in most of the screens these days. The lighting is tryly average, I mean, the shadows are directly below the characters. We're not in the N64 era anymore. You can also see polygon edges everywhere, it's not CG smooth at all. Same with the environments. They're not really very complex and are plagued with bland textures. If this is truly the best looking game you have seen, you need to check more games ;)

First. We don't know if the AA is real or simply BS, like in most of the screens these days. The lighting is tryly average, I mean, the shadows are directly below the characters. We're not in the N64 era anymore. You can also see polygon edges everywhere, it's not CG smooth at all. Same with the environments. They're not really very complex and are plagued with bland textures. If this is truly the best looking game you have seen, you need to check more games ;)

Maybe I (and the simple human people) need a eagle vision to see what you see :)

I just got my EGM today, and I'm looking at the regular sized images. My first reaction is that the game does look amazing. Theres no doubting that. The sense of scale is huge with gigantic structures touching the clouds, and the detail goes down to the vegetation on the ground. It looks and feels just like Ratchet and Clank we all know.

That said, I wouldnt say this is the best game visually I've ever seen. Even on consoles. Some of the normal mapping/textures looks blurry, but maybe thats due to some of the camera angles are extremely zoomed in more than you would see in a ratchet and clank game. Theres other screens where the camera is zoomed out to normal gameplay viewing mode and the textures are fine. I think they could do a better job with the texture on ratchet's fur, but because I've seen better textures on the face of characters in resistance, I think it's more of a artistic design decision. The alpha textures on his ears are great imo, looks like you would expect...fur. :)

I'm not really sure on the lighting as I can't really see it in motion. It does look better than resistance lighting, but I don't think it looks overly complex or if it even has HDR (don't quote me on that, because it's kinda hard to tell with these screens). Theres some pretty nice shaders going on, especially with the metal reflecting the sunlight. There is self shadowing (one of the creatures in one of the shots clearly has shadows on his body coming from his mouth protruding out). But I'm not sure if the environmental shadows are dynamic. I think this game could definitely benefit from some DOF effects (Heavenly Sword, Blue Dragon and LittleBigPlanet come to mind).

As for comparing it to other games, I don't even think I could if I wanted to. The art style is very different than many games, even Kameo (which some people seem to want to compare it to). Again the most impressive thing to me personally is the sense of scale and draw distance. The polycounts seem on par with resistance (maybe better, but it seems theres much more going on. Does it look better than the original GDC demo? Hard to say since theres no video and theres no city scene in these screens to compare. But from what I can see it looks just as good, if not better than the original showing.

To be fair, the game probably has another 7-8 months (give or take) or so still in development, so they obviously are still working on it. I think ratchet fans (new and old) are going to have a blast with this just looking at the screens and the details in the magazine.

I don't mean to nitpick such an early game, going just off screen shots that could be a few months old, but obviously some people here care a lot how it looks and I'm just offering my opinion. Bottom line, the game looks amazing, but doesn't look like the best console game I've ever seen. I guess that line is highly subjective, but take that as whatever you like.

Fair enough? :)

Same here. I had seen the scans, and even the Zinio digital copy of the mag, but only got my actual paper & ink copy yesterday. It truly does look great/amazing, though not to such a degree that I'm wondering how it could ever possibly be done in realtime or anything. It's not as some of the crazies on other forums claim with "not a poly edge in sight!"

I really like the art in the game. The style they're using for the trees makes them seem like they've popped fully formed from an awesome 2D game (i.e., in a good way). Everything from the metal surfaces, to the characters, to the trees and vegetation look great. The only thing I'm not a fan of is the glossy rocks seen on page 64. I can't wait to see it in motion, but those rocks just conjure up mental images of slimy hallways in Doom 3. I might be the only one, though.

And very different from Kameo, like Bad_Boy said.

Updated the first post with a few screens. :)
From what I hear, movies should come this week and may appear on the 1up show.

edit (march11th):
Screens (non scans) have shown up, although pretty small.

2ibc6rq.jpg

1173625655877.jpg

1173625737719.jpg

Very impressive. Cant wait to see this in motion...

Umm, I always imagined Ratched as a furry critter. He looks like a reptile in these shots, talk about ruining childho.. errr.. twentyager fantasies :p

The graphics could be a function of the draw distance and such....

Just take a look at crackdown cartoony graphics but with a real twist. That game uses them to give a insane draw distance. And the graphics on Ratchet and Clank still look good, and with resistance the graphics came later in the development, so maybe they will here (or we can hope :) )

I'd need to see it in motion. The style is good, and the technical IQ is there, but everything's so cluttered it's hard to make out. A spot of subtle DOF would help too.

Just a heads up: Full Moon Show #02 is up, and clocks in at almost 2 hours. A "big" special guest, supposedly. Currently listening, though I've only managed to get 2 minutes into it so far. Heh.

Re-linked Here

Edit: Well, I've only REALLY just started serious listening now. It's boring up until 9:00 minutes in, but then it just kicks into overdrive (if you're into the development update style stuff, that is =D ). Good stuff so far, tools of destruction/construction, cinematics, and so on.

Edit 2: It's Mr. God of War Himself! 30 minutes with Dave, with tons of stuff like what he would have done with Resistance, and some Calling All Cars stuff. Some discussion with some industry guys about keeping games closer has resulted in some new stuff that may or may not make it into the final build.

Why IS Ratchet not as furry as Conker? Who would have guessed what the answer was!

And anybody who wants to see R&C Future in motion should tune into the 1Up Show tomorrow (Surprise! Nobody saw it coming. So swears nobody).

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a heads up: Full Moon Show #02 is up, and clocks in at almost 2 hours. A "big" special guest, supposedly. Currently listening, though I've only managed to get 2 minutes into it so far. Heh.

Re-linked Here

Edit: Well, I've only REALLY just started serious listening now. It's boring up until 9:00 minutes in, but then it just kicks into overdrive (if you're into the development update style stuff, that is =D ). Good stuff so far, tools of destruction/construction, cinematics, and so on.

Edit 2: It's Mr. God of War Himself! 30 minutes with Dave, with tons of stuff like what he would have done with Resistance, and some Calling All Cars stuff. Some discussion with some industry guys about keeping games closer has resulted in some new stuff that may or may not make it into the final build.

Why IS Ratchet not as furry as Conker? Who would have guessed what the answer was!

And anybody who wants to see R&C Future in motion should tune into the 1Up Show tomorrow (Surprise! Nobody saw it coming. So swears nobody).
Nice. Did insomniac say anything about their "play with insomniac days" in resistance on the podcast? I heard it mentioned before but wasnt sure on the specifics.

Anyways, for R&C...looking forward to seeing the game in motion on the 1up show. :)
I see me and Shifty Geezer agree about the DOF. I think it would really help out the visuals a bit.

Back