Random Windows problems

Frank

Certified not a majority
Veteran
I just want to say something about all those random problems and other strange things you get with Windows after a while. (Not that only Windows suffers from that, but that is wat just about everyone uses.)

Generally, there are three things you can do:

1. Look / ask around on the Internet, to see if you can fix it.
2. Trial and error. Just try anything you can think of to see if that fixes it.
3. Reinstall everything.

While 3 is the only definite solution (unless your hardware is broken), it normally takes a long time. 1 is generally the best and fastest solution, 2 can make things much worse. And any quick fix doesn't improve the stability of your system. So, don't do 2, try 1 as long as it's faster than 3.

Or just don't bother and restore your disk image. You don't have a disk image? You did put all your data on D:, didn't you? Well, did you? Why not? You don't have a backup either? Oh, dear.

Ok. Just make sure you have at least 2 drives / partitions, D: is for Data, and make a Ghost image of C: when you're satisfied. And if you want to automate any other software installations, use Wise to make a Setup Capture.

That way, you can fix ANY problem within fifteen minutes. Or see that, yes, your hardware really is broken. Works especially well when you have kids.

:D

The first thing I do is type the error message into Google and see what comes up on the websites and newsgroups. You can nearly always find a solution in a few minutes from people that have previously had the problem and found the solution.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
The first thing I do is type the error message into Google and see what comes up on the websites and newsgroups. You can nearly always find a solution in a few minutes from people that have previously had the problem and found the solution.

Yes, me too. And if that takes too long or doesn't work, I insert my boot cd and reinstall the disk image.

I can't do the ghosting thing, I'm changing things way too much for any images to stay valid. :?

I tried it for a while, but it just doesn't work out with me.

Besides, I find the occasional XP re-install kind of relaxing/refreshing.....but I am weird that way.

digitalwanderer said:
I can't do the ghosting thing, I'm changing things way too much for any images to stay valid. :?

I tried it for a while, but it just doesn't work out with me.

Besides, I find the occasional XP re-install kind of relaxing/refreshing.....but I am weird that way.

You only want things in the disk image that stay on your computer. It is of little use to install your current games before making the disk image. Instead, you want to have a "clean" image, without all the clutter. It is easier to reinstall your clean image, then to uninstall all the stuf you don't use anymore.

Take a look at Wise. You can automate any software installation or configuration change with that. It records all changes you make to your computer, and makes them into a setup program. You can have them run without any user input, from a batchfile. And you can use it to move data around, although a batchfile might be easier for that.

So, if you want to swap your motherboard, you have to reinstall Windows. But to install all your applications and configure the system, you can just insert the correct DVD and double click the setup of the things you want installed. Or use a batch file. And you can just add all new setups to the list. And upgrade to a newer version of Windows.

i am acctually surprised how good my XP works after 2 years without format or anything.... i use some utilities to clean up registry, but basically, thats it....

and ya, i got most important thing on DVD backups ;) (and no it isnt pr0n, but work files)

No. I'm not talking about installing games/apps; I'm talking about changing viddy cards, mobos, HD, etc....my system never seems to remain quite the same for any extended periods.

I know the system works for some, but not for me.

digitalwanderer said:
No. I'm not talking about installing games/apps; I'm talking about changing viddy cards, mobos, HD, etc....my system never seems to remain quite the same for any extended periods.

I know the system works for some, but not for me.

Yes, that's why you might want to take a look at Wise. It works like this:

1. Start Wise (you don't have to install it, it runs straight from the CD).
2. Start a new Setup Capture. (Takes a few seconds.)
3. Install programs and other stuff, change things, move things around, tweak settings, turn off your computer, go to the Zoo with your kids, go to sleep, turn it back on and continue rummaging :D
4. Stop the Setup capture when you're done, click "compile" and save the files when asked. (Takes less than a minute, normally.)

That's it.

The next time you have a computer that runs Windows, to which you want to apply all those changes (say, you just replaced your motherboard and freshly reinstalled Windows), you just double-click Setup.exe, have a cup of coffee, and it's all done. All the changes you made during the setup capture, all the applications you installed, all the settings you changed are back. And if you want to change something else, make a setup capture of that as well, and just run it after the first one.

Back