RAGE: That's actually what you do when trying to get the PC version to work

For those who have SLI setups its possible to use CUDA transcode on 2nd card. Add to startup parameters:
+cu_device 1

My second videocard is GT240 for PhysX and using this cmd only degrades performance))

credits to Mikanoshi at Guru3D forums.. i tried with my 9800GT it is really working :)

I cannot comment on driver releases / fixes, etc. I will say that you can be assured that any reported issue is getting resolved.

As an operator of the game, I can suggest that any users set their desired vsync behavior in the control panel for now.

On the cu_device setting, multi-GPU users can use that to select the device. It can be a bit unintuitive as to which GPU is which, but the listCUDAdevices command on the game console can guide you. In general, multi-GPU usage can be sub-optimal due to synchronization issues, so YMMV. FWIW, I believe the game will soon (if not already) hide the transcode option on multi-GPU systems, just to prevent an unknowing user from accidentally misconfiguring things. The cu_device setting will still allow a tweaker to optimize for their system. Note that this will not work across multivendor systems. The two GPUs must know how to directly talk to one another to make this work.

Thanks for the tips ehart. Is there a way to offset the input lag when selecting vsync in the driver panel?

New bug on AMD hardware:

C185B64FD98AEEB65CEFF90731523B0DA40F0D97

28524A8B9807439039B85856EBEC0E46341A8DA8

Ah the new software mode! ;)

Actually that reminds me of something I noticed. Why is Pixomatic included with the game? There is a dll in the game folder.

Methinks we're gonna have a resurgence of the ATIDRIVERSUCK mindset. A new generation of it, if you will.

point-sampling?

swaaye: nice find, are there any cvars related to that? Anyone with process explorer to say if that DLL is even loaded by the game?

Methinks we're gonna have a resurgence of the ATIDRIVERSUCK mindset. A new generation of it, if you will.

Well more like "id software sucks". Where are those magical AMD drivers that Carmack was "pleased" with during development? Dude's full of sh@t in his Kotaku interview.

Texture page mips visualisation: http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/7711/rage2011100822555033.png

Notice the unfiltered LOD boundaries.

Now I see were the occasional texture shimmering is coming from... and probably why AF is useless. Thankfully, it is the few downsides and also some advantages of MG that are keeping the nasty shimmering to minimum, like the relatively low texture resolution and unique mapping, i.e. avoiding repeating patterns.

swaaye: nice find, are there any cvars related to that? Anyone with process explorer to say if that DLL is even loaded by the game?
I've tried some searches on Pixomatic and Rage but can't find any connections. The CVARS don't seem to refer to any software rendering mode or pixomatic. Maybe it is used to perform some function on the CPU? No idea.

Have they ever had decent OpenGL drivers?
I wouldn't say so. They have occasionally been "good enough" but I don't think there has ever been a time when one would choose ATI over NV for an OpenGL game if given the choice. I can think up some recent negligence there, like OpenGL not having SSAA support and there never being a fix for KOTOR being broken on Cat 10.2 for R580 and older.

But like Ike says we have to wonder why John Carmack would say he was working with AMD, presumably reaching adequate functionality at some point, and then launch the game to utter disaster for AMD users even after 2 emergency driver drops. It's very strange. I'm thinking that AMD never got it working very well and he assumed they would in the months since his talk about it. I am convinced that AMD didn't take it seriously. Their silence is annoying and feels to me like they want to keep the blame ambiguous.

Well more like "id software sucks". Where are those magical AMD drivers that Carmack was "pleased" with during development? Dude's full of sh@t in his Kotaku interview.

Um no AMD screwed it up no matter how you slice it because the released the wrong driver. At least the new one kind of works.

I am certainly glad they did not wait even longer to release it just b/c AMD could not get their act together. Otherwise I would still not have been able to play it.

How I see it
Games job : Issue opengl commands making sure they are legitimate and valid commands.
Drivers job : Get the gfx card to execute those commands.

It's obviously AMD's fault and not id's; anyone trying to put the blame on Carmack clearly has some issues.

Back