Radeon XPress 200 (RX480) chipset preview

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2269

:oops:

"In our opinion, ATI has more than succeeded in their goal of proving to computer enthusiasts that the RX480 is a chipset for serious performance overclocking. These are, overall, the best overclocking results that we have ever seen with an Athlon 64 motherboard. The fact that these were achieved on a Reference board is all the more amazing!"

"We have no hesitation in recommending ATI Radeon Express as either a discrete or integrated solution for a top-line Athlon 64 system. The ATI will not disappoint in either stock performance, features, or overclocking capabilities that top of the Athlon 64 pack. Our only concern at this point is that motherboard manufacturers in Taiwan may not believe how really good ATI RX480/RS480 actually are. To them we say please take a closer look. The ATI RX480/RS480 are so good you should definitely release some top Enthusiast motherboards with this top-performing new chipset. Congratulations, ATI, we didn't think you could pull it off - but you did it! The last announcement of Round 3 of the Athlon 64 chipset wars may turn out to be the most significant introduction of all."

great job ATi!!!!!

Fodder said:
Only two pipelines in the IGP is a bit of a downer though.

Its not really going to be much of a concern to anyone that actually know what they are buying though - I don't think you'll find that many here running the graphics!! ;) However, wait until you see what it does to a 9200 SE! :)

DaveBaumann said:
Buttocks. Thought the NDA was tomorrow....

At least you got yours. As of this morning, mine was still at a depot somewhere. ATI need new couriers :LOL:

Rys

Very interesting with regards to the basic performance.

Integrated graphics = utterly boring. Slower then X300 with a 64 bit bus doesn't really get me excited.

I thought reference board overclocking was always suspect and very rarely indicative of final products...

digital wanderer you can have mine... NOT :) it is a cool box. Mine didn't come with a 4000+ though ;)

ben6 said:
digital wanderer you can have mine... NOT :) it is a cool box. Mine didn't come with a 4000+ though ;)
I just like the idea of a whole new kit-in-a-box, and I'd be able to finally have an all ATi system. 8)

digitalwanderer said:
ben6 said:
I just like the idea of a whole new kit-in-a-box, and I'd be able to finally have an all ATi system. 8)

I dunno. If you want a cheap box that you don't play games on then perhaps.But to me, the extra features of the NF 4 chipset is much more interesting then a, while better then what we currently have, still crappy IGP.

Fodder said:
Anand's review. Only two pipelines in the IGP is a bit of a downer though.

This was interesting:

"Rumor has it that ATI's Intel chipset will feature an updated graphics core, so we may just get our wish sooner than expected."

Back