R700 Inter-GPU Connection Discussion

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by Arty, Jun 28, 2008.

1. MfA

MfA
    Legend

If there were a market for it (which there isn't, winning the benchmarks with AFR is good enough to sell these cards) they could build a part which could sort the tri's and pass them to the other chip(s) if it covered their tiles.

2. rwolf

rwolf Rock Star
    Regular

A better solution would be to have one card start at the top and one at the bottom and work your way to the middle.

3. CarstenS

Legend Veteran Subscriber

I remember that someone in the pre-DX10-era had some kind of solution to this - Realizm 800. But having some sort of HW doing very specialized jobs (and only those!) is what all evolution of the APIs is trying to get rid of, right?
    --
    You're right, MfA, the market would have been small some month ago, but since then more and more reviewers have started to notice the problems with special profiles, input lag and microstuttering. Reminds me of the days, when people started to watch out not only for fast Fps but for beautiful pixels too.
    --
    I do hope though, Kaotik, that there's either some kind of alternativ to AFR, which is also scalable over multiple GPUs as well as transparent to applications and itself not reliant on profiles. I was and still am trying to get a better understanding, why certain ideas for multi-gpu-rendering which were valid before are just ignored nowadays.

Sure, i recognize the need for longer bars - maybe it's time for another revolution. ;)

4. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Well, the only radically different from what we have today would be 3dfx's ScanLine Interleaving I guess, but it was possible only due the fact that the cards didn't need to think about geometry, it was done by CPU already (AFAIK anyway)

5. annihilator

Newcomer

oops. sorry

#185 annihilator, Jul 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2008
  6. 2900guy

Newcomer

7. Sc4freak

Newcomer

Ideally, you'd have developer support on this and then you could achieve high efficiency split-frame rendering. Games already do a lot of rough culling to get rid of stuff that's not on screen, if the developer set up 2 viewports (each representing half of the screen) and independently culled stuff for each viewport before sending one viewport to each video card, it would be possible to achieve very high efficiency.

Of course, that defeats the purpose of Crossfire/SLI, which is that you should be able to just drop in another card and it would "just work".

8. Albuquerque

Albuquerque Red-headed step child
    Veteran

Yes, along with 2GB of ram and 1600SP's too. Think about what they're counting and it will make sense.

9. fellix

Veteran

Yet another micro-stuttering R700 report here. :grin:

10. thatdude90210

Regular

That report also seem to indicate that the 4870CF doesn't have a problem with micro stuttering either, at least in the 2 games tested.

11. Karoshi

Newcomer

And no apparent (margin of error) 1/FPS differences between 4870x2 and 2x4870.

12. Arty

Arty KEPLER
    Veteran

Enough for 15% gain at those levels. :razz:

13. annihilator

Newcomer

That guy posting the microstuttering reports says he didn't see a %15 improvement over regular 4870 CF, but 2 more people who own the 4870x2 do maintain it's indeed %15 faster than 4870CF. No one reveals the clock speeds, though.

14. willardjuice

willardjuice super willyjuice
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

Maybe he's not using the "right" drivers.

15. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

I believe there's a very limited number of drivers supporting R700 at this time.

16. Sampsa

Newcomer

17. Spyhawk

Newcomer

So tell me sampsa :) Is the 4870x2 the best dual gpu solution you have ever played around with ?

18. willardjuice

willardjuice super willyjuice
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

19. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

I think he screams "this is madness... THIS IS SPARTAAAAAAAAAA" every time he finishes a benchmark..

20. Sampsa

Newcomer

Actually there was new driver released before weekend. I already ran all my tests again for the preview I'm working on. I would say this card is performing very good but it produces quite a lot heat and power consumption is high.