Question on game rendering resolutions

I'm starting to wonder if I should return my PS3 already. My TV supports all formats except 1080p but I honestly do not want to get something less (720p) then what the best is my TV can do (1080i).

720p is progressive scan at 60Hz. For games that run at 60fps 720p is far superior to 1080i. In general I prefer 720p over 1080i anyhow.

There is something weird going on for sure. For example I played Resistance on my PS3 and my friend's PS3.

He has a Sony Bravia and I have a SD TV. Yet for some strange reason, it looked better on my TV than on his :???:

Colors blended and looked kind of messed up.

I played with the TV setting again & what ended up being the problem was all the image enhancers that macabre mentioned to turn off. I tested each one switching it off & on & sure enough it would actually make the picture worse. Cable TV (HD & non HD channels) was notably worse at 720p then 1080i on my TV & the PS3 still looked great at 1080i after turning off the TVs image enhancers. Even the 360 ended up looking better. Surprising.

You may want to mention that to your friend Nesh.

Btw sevanig, what is the "full black mode"?

Full black mode enables RGB value output from 0-256 , normal setting is 16-235.
It depends on your TV, but setting this to full may give you a richer picture.

Nice to hear that the other settings helped as well.

Is there a way to see what you are actually using while in game, such as 1080i or 720p? I can't find how to see it on my TV. :(

Is there a way to see what you are actually using while in game, such as 1080i or 720p? I can't find how to see it on my TV. :(

Well my tv has a 'Info' button, which brings up all the settings and resolution used at the current time, look for one on your controller for your tv :).

Resolution

Done that. It doesn't tell me if the image is in 1080i or anything useful like that. :(

To find out what resolution is being sent from device (cable box, PS3, etc) to TV, go to settings of that device. There you can choose output resolution.

What resolution you see when you watch you TV has nothing to do with what resolution the device can output. If your TV has native resolution (not "supported resolution") of 1366x768, then ...

If you hook up PS3 at 1080P, your TV will display 1366x768.

If you hook up Directv at 1080i, your TV will display 1366x768.

If you hook up cable box at 720P your TV will display 1366x768

If you hook up PS2 at 480P, your TV will display 1366x768

To find out what is your TVs "Native Resolution" you must look at your manual.

"Supported resolution" has nothing to do with actual native resolution!

As for Dirt, I'll bet that if you switch your 360 to 720p it will look about the same as it does at 1080i. and of couse still much better than it does on the PS3. I haven't played the PS3 version, but multiplatform games tend to look notably better on the 360.

Actually DiRT is one of a very small group of ports which is widely regarded to be better on the PS3. It seems the developers worked quite closely with Sony during development.

You're right though, most cross-platform games so far have been 360 releases that have subsequently been ported to the PS3, with a minimal effort/maximum profit approach, so they do look better on their native platform (360).

Now the PS3 is a year old and developers have experience with it, it's likely that the situation will even out.

This is precisely the reason why I made sure my HDTV has a 1:1 pixelmapping, and not some resolution like 1366x768 which would have to be scaled to use the entire screen...

A good scaler is a far more valuble feature on a TV than 1:1 pixel mapping support, as content comes in a range of resolutions and it's better to have all look good than one look exact and the others look rough. Besides, even when the display does support 1:1 it can be better to overscan a bit as content makers often leave ugly things at the egdges of the signal which are not intented to be seen.

To find out what resolution is being sent from device (cable box, PS3, etc) to TV, go to settings of that device. There you can choose output resolution.
With the PS3 you just pick supported resolutions and it picks from those depending on the content, so unless your TV reports what resolution it is accepting you are left with guessing what the PS3 is using.

A good scaler is a far more valuble feature on a TV than 1:1 pixel mapping support, as content comes in a range of resolutions and it's better to have all look good than one look exact and the others look rough. Besides, even when the display does support 1:1 it can be better to overscan a bit as content makers often leave ugly things at the egdges of the signal which are not intented to be seen.

But how much content is sent 768p though? I certainly haven't heard of any - it's either 720x576 (PAL), 720x480 (NTSC), 1280x720 or 1920x1080.

Having a good scaler applies to any tv set, regardless the native resolution.

But how much content is sent 768p though? I certainly haven't heard of any - it's either 720x576 (PAL), 720x480 (NTSC), 1280x720 or 1920x1080.
And a good scaler will handle all those resolutions well, regardless of the native resolution of the display. Having your display match one of those resolutions only provides a notable benift if the display has a crappy scaler.

As for 1366x768 content, I've run plenty of PC games rendered at that resolution. However, higher resolutions provide better image quality so I use those when I have performance to spare. I also use lower resolutions when performance is an issue as reducing other settings to maintain decent famerate at 1:1 is generally far more detrimental to image quality than lowering the rendering resolution a notch and letting the display upscale that.

Having a good scaler applies to any tv set, regardless the native resolution.
That is exactly my point. I've seen plenty of people obsess over getting a TV that supports 1:1 at a particular resolution only to get such a display home to find that other resolutions look particularly bad, because the display they picked has a poor quality scaler. Hence, as I said above, good scaler is a far more valuble feature on a TV than 1:1 pixel mapping support.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having your display match one of those resolutions only provides a notable benift if the display has a crappy scaler.

The notable benefit of matching those resolutions with the native one is a sharper image than any upscaled image, regardless the quality, can hope to achieve.

That is exactly my point. I've seen plenty of people obsess over getting a TV that supports 1:1 at a particular resolution only to get such a display home to find that other resolutions look particularly bad, because the display they picked has a poor quality scaler. Hence, as I said above, good scaler is a far more valuble feature on a TV than 1:1 pixel mapping support.

In that case, you may find comfort in the fact, that I'm not one of those people, but do rate a 1:1 pixelmapping as more valuable due to contents I am playing on my tv set (720p PS3 games, BluRay movies). A 1366x768 display would be inferior most of the time, as practically all my footage is at 720p.

A 1:1 pixelmapping (for 90% > of the content) and a good scaler is the most preferable option. A 1366x768 display without a good scaler is possibly the worst case, as 99% of content isn't presented in that resolution to take advantage of it.

With the start of the HD era which have two clearly defined resolutions (720p / 1080p), it's beyond me, that TV makers are coming out with native resolutions neither of the two. In the context of gaming this is particularly bad, as the most games on consoles are going to ship at 720p and require either no upscaling to a tv featuring that resolution or upscaling to a 768p display. For other footage at 1080p this isn't much of an issue, as in both cases (720p or 768p), images are downscaled which is much better then upscaling - even with a less good scaler.

The notable benefit of matching those resolutions with the native one is a sharper image than any upscaled image, regardless the quality, can hope to achieve.
Higher resolution content looks sharper than content uscaled from a lower resolution, but that applies regardless of if the higher resolution is 1:1 with the display resolution or not.

In that case, you may find comfort in the fact, that I'm not one of those people, but do rate a 1:1 pixelmapping as more valuable due to contents I am playing on my tv set (720p PS3 games, BluRay movies).
What 720p Blu-ray movies do you have? I suppose there might be some, but the vast majorty of Blu-ray content is 1080p.

A 1366x768 display would be inferior most of the time, as practically all my footage is at 720p.
Nah, proper upscaling provides a sharper image than displaying directly at a lower one. An obvious example is the fact that a standard DVD on an ED display is no match for the same DVD upscaled to a good HDTV. Of couse the difference between 720p and 768p is far less, but it all the same it can be a bit sharper.

As for why manufactures tend to use 768p, there is bound to be a number of reasons, but not the least of which I've explained above. Besides, most 720p and 1080p TVs don't support 1:1 pixel mapping at those resolutions, but rather always overscan them a bit to avoid the mess that would otherwise be seen on the edges of poorly edited content. Also, 768p makes practical sense when you look at how far people tend to sit from various sizes of displays, and what resolution 20/20 vision will resolve at such distances.

Back