Question for devs/artists: How do you calibrate your displays for Xbox 360 developmen

Scott_Arm

Legend
I've seen all kinds of guides and suggestions on how to calibrate displays hooked up to xbox 360s, but I'm most curious to know what the pros are doing. The gamma on the 360 output is obviously weird, so I'm wondering if there's any kind of consistency in what the pros are doing to make sure their games end up lookin' good for people at home. Do you calibrate your displays as you would with any other source, and deal with the fact the 360 is going to give you a slightly altered image, or do you try to compensate for the 360s gamma curve when you're producing your artwork?

I just use the calibrated D65k settings on my Bravia same as I do for watching films or playing PS3 with the 360 set to output in RGB with full RGB enabled (ie. reference level - expanded as my set supports that) through HDMI and it looks quite good - definitely better than how all my friends set ups look.

Games like RDR look very natural and stuff like Halo, Viva Pinata or Banjo Kazooie look vibrant without being overly vivid.

It also helps to turn down your sets sharpness to 0 (unless this adds blur or softening) as sharpening really has no benefit and just makes aliasing more noticeable

I have my display ISF Calibrated and just use that for 360 gaming and I'm pleased with the results. The calibrator also setup an input with an extended color but it makes things a bit cartoony so I leave it (except for fantasy setting stuff like Fable).

The biggest problem is when you are doing Xbox and PS3. If the platforms don't match then how do you create assets that look good on both,

Also even if you calibrate your TV, the output from the Xbox could be different for each game depending on how the gamma was done.

Back