Quantum Break [UWP]

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Clukos, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Clukos

Clukos Bloodborne 2 when?
    Veteran Newcomer

Since you like reading articles so much you might want to read this as well, just went up from Digital Foundry: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-what-went-wrong-with-quantum-break-pc

Literally refresh rate * (5/6) framerate cap. Literally. Que?

And that explains all the frame pacing issues, it is simply impossible to get QB to run evenly. Even the 30 fps cap doesn't work properly.

#61 Clukos, Apr 8, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
    Jawed, milk, chris1515 and 2 others like this.
  2. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

Total disaster.

I guess this is the push xbox pc division needed to push the UWP team.

"dude, see that? That the thing I reported years ago and you put on low priority list "

milk likes this.
  3. NRP

NRP
    Veteran

Why can't you guys keep talk about the PC version of the game in the PC game forum?

London-boy likes this.
  4. Jawed

Legend

So DF has a worse experience than you Clukos.

Their NVidia experience is pretty puzzling. They don't say how many NVidia systems they have access to, merely that 2 of them were crashing "a lot". They also report that NVidia is much slower than AMD, yet overclock3D.net indicates that they are about the same.

5. VFX_Veteran

Regular Newcomer

I just played a few minutes of this game on my Windows 10 box. Very interesting and mixed feelings on what's going on with the graphics engine here. I need to play alittle more before giving my impressions but what I can say is that:

1) The game is running at a resolution lower than advertised (which some have already mentioned).
    2) The lighting/shading are pretty freaking incredible.
    3) Most detailed in-game character I've seen.
    4) FPS gets hammered with extreme judder by some graphics settings (AA, Reflections, Shadow Res) set to MAX.

I'm running at "4k" on a Titan X. Anything below 4k is just a blurfest.

6. orangpelupa

Legend Veteran

They need to make UWP games have mandatory demo like those XBLA games on Windows store... Or at least benchmark mode.

I'm really interested in buying QB but with no demo, no benchmark, no pirated version, I can't try it first :(

I already got burned once with Halo Sparta on Windows store that can't be played at all :/

7. Clukos

Veteran Newcomer

Game is good from what i've played but the frame pacing issues hurt the gameplay so much it's unbearable, and judging by the UWP edition of RotTR we'll be waiting some weeks before the first patch goes through cert... It's a mess right now.
    Good luck getting that to run at 30 fps in the chapter 2-3, you'll be constantly in the lower teens, on top of it Nvidia cards seem to struggle with volumetrics in this game perf wise.

8. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

Could be a driver issue. I'm struggling terribly bad with killer instinct in w10 and I should meet recommended specs. Nvidia cards are appearing to suffer badly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. orangpelupa

Legend Veteran

Killer instant works fine on my pc despite my pc is horrible. Agh I want to try to play QB...

But I only have Radeon HD 7770 1GB.

It can run BF4 at high at higher than 60 fps though.

10. VFX_Veteran

Regular Newcomer

I'm running 4k on a TitanX. I don't have ultra settings on everything but am able to tell when it drops frames due to the judder. I've been able to keep it at a consistent 30FPS by turning OFF AA, reflections to Medium and shadows to Medium. Everything else is up. Also lock FPS to 30.

11. Clukos

Veteran Newcomer

If you can hold 30 fps at some parts (you'll know) from chapter 2 then that's great, it's there that perf went to shit for me. And hasn't been great since (only some parts run okay-ish).

12. VFX_Veteran

Regular Newcomer

Yea, not there yet. I'll let you know though.

13. VFX_Veteran

Regular Newcomer

I love the concept of this game though. It's got me excited to watch the rest of the Flash TV series episodes.. :)

Despite the lower framerate, I think I'll be enjoying this game.

14. fellix

fellix Hey, You!
    Veteran

There's already a pirated release - 67GB, with rather complicated set of instructions for the installation.

15. orangpelupa

Legend Veteran

Just checked, yeah you are right. It's still need to be online though. I don't want to risk my legit windows 10...

I guess I'll just wait for it to be discounted or wait until someone try it with surface book (it have 1GB gpu ram).

16. Jawed

Legend

Oh, missed the video from earlier (read the article instead, sigh).

17. Clukos

Veteran Newcomer

There's a huge problem with volumetric lights and maxwell 2.0 gpus in this game, every time i look at a volumetric light source frame rate dips significantly. Maybe it's just how they are using the GCN GPU in the X1 but Nvidia and/or Remedy need to do something about that...

CSI PC likes this.
  18. CSI PC

Veteran Newcomer

Yeah and even Digital Foundry noted volumetric lighting causing insane performance drop on NVIDIA, also think particles have impact.

Clukos, another great review site that backs up your feelings but needs translating (their benchmark is near the bottom of the page with issues found above:
    http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Quantum-Break-Spiel-15745/Specials/Technik-Test-1191358/

One other aspect as this is a serious issue IMO, the console rendering engine has not changed and still uses temporal reconstruction from 720p sigh.
    This is the biggest example showing the game project development scope was XBOX-1 with no consideration originally to be a true specified and optimised release for PC.
    Typing last sentence actually made me facepalm myself lol :)
    But seriously this is depressing for PC, and sums up Arkham and how that was console focus and then just outsourced for port, but now we get the same rendering engine and limitations it had on xbox-1 for Quantum Break.
    Trend to me suggests that NVIDIA will have to work harder to engage with developers to ensure AAA games with primary focus on console gets the optimisation its hardware requires on PC, but that is for a different thread.
    Cheers

Clukos likes this.
  19. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Heh Nvidia usually damned for working too closely with developers and now damned for not. Maybe they need Volumetric Works :)

homerdog likes this.
  20. CSI PC

Veteran Newcomer

Cannot please everyone all of the time :)
    But developers should always work close with both NVIDIA/AMD if it is possible, my point about engaging does not necessarily mean they need to work too close.

That said be interesting to know how much the developers engage and even work with AMD for games on consoles.
    I see that as a positive because well AMD did not seem to be the greatest doing it on PC :)
    Cheers