New GPD Win Max (2019) portable console with AMD Ryzen + Vega 8. The handheld console based on PC.

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by Cyan, Nov 1, 2016.

1. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

I like the concept of Smach-Z a lot more (and its 15W Raven Ridge should be some >4x faster in games than a Core m3).
    Plus, their prices are really similar too.

Of course, the GPD Win 2 is an actual product and the Smach-Z is vaporware so far :(

Malo likes this.
  2. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

Info of the new GPD Win 2 Max, the handheld PC with Windows 10 and AMD Ryzen:

GPD Win Max would use an AMD Ryzen Embedded V1605B APU with 4x Zen cores + 8 threads at a Base/Turbo frequency of 2.00/3.60 GHz accompanied by AMD Radeon Vega 8 graphics with 512 Stream Processors x 1.10 GHz along with a DDR4 memory controller 2400 MHz , a notary performance jump over the Intel Core m3-7Y30 2-core CPU with Intel HD Graphics 615 graphics
    . RAM wise, there would be several variants, so it makes sense to think of 8GB of LDDR4 RAM with different storage capacities.

The GPD Win Max would arrive sometime in the current year with a screen greater than 6 inches, M.2 SSD storage, and great connectivity skills like the rest of the models, featuring WiFi + Bluetooth connectivity, microSD card reader, USB Type-A and Type-C ports, HDMI-shaped video output, etc

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://liliputing.com/2019/04/gpd-win-max-will-be-an-amd-ryzen-powered-handheld-gaming-pc.html/amp

3. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

With Ubuntu on switch, lakka (retroarch) on switch, and android coming to switch....

GPD got heavy competition.

4. ToTTenTranz

GPD has been strangely quiet about this. I'm starting to wonder if they haven't canceled it.

Plus, with Ice Lake U getting availability in the near future, I could see why GPD would be hesitant to go with AMD's rather old solution that is known to have problems with power consumption in sleep mode (due to using regular DDR4).
    I think the Ice Lake U with Iris Pro should a bit better performance than the V1605B with DDR4 2400MT/s, but without those caveats.

The market for ARM based consoles running android for retro games is already full, and has been for a while.
    The switch getting linux and emulators is nice, but with a 1GHz A57 CPU it will probably perform a lot worse than all the ones carrying mediatek/rockship chips with >2GHz Cortex A72.

If the purpose is to run emulators for 30 year old consoles, I doubt people will stop purchasing from the large pool of sub-200€ chinese consoles to get the 320€ switch that probably has lower emulator performance.

Cyan likes this.
  5. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

the software support it has from running on Windows, which means all my Steam games (150), Game pass for PC games and GoG (270 games) can potentially run on it, and the Keyboard (perhaps it's crappy but it's a keyboard) is, imo, what separates it from the rest.

that could well be true... the article is from April, but they mention this:

Aside from Ice Lake U, Intel is going to have dedicated GPUs in 2020.

6. orangpelupa

Legend Veteran

Dunno with the performance comparison, but user reports says switch Ubuntu can run dolphin emulator smoothly.

I think that's the "heaviest" emulation currently available on switch

7. orangpelupa

Legend Veteran

Yeah, even with Ubuntu, it's still only run ARM Apps :(

Too bad the Windows on arm on switch development seems to be abandoned

8. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

some interesting tidbits from an article on the hardware you mention:

[​IMG]

They even mention Variable Rate Shading (VRS), which has very significant performance improvements:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14405/intel-teases-ice-lake-integrated-graphics-performance

orangpelupa likes this.
  9. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

It's more like 10% in real gaming situations, depending on how aggressive you want to be in reducing quality.

Cyan likes this.
  10. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

GPD Win 2, the PC with the size of a 3DS changes its hardware. I think they are going to drop the GPD Win Max and focus on the GPD Win 3.

The GPD Win 2 receives a Core m3-8100Y refresh; redesigned motherboard, improved speakers and costs US$775
    [​IMG]
    The original GPD Win 2 received nearly US$3,000,000 in crowdfunding last year. (Image source: GPD HK)
    GPD is refreshing the Win 2, its 6-inch handheld that can run AAA games. The company has not only bumped the device up from a Core m3-7Y30 to a Core m3-8100Y, but it has also redesigned the motherboard to aid better heat dissipation, upgraded the storage to 256 GB and improved the speakers. The new GPD Win 2 is available to order now for US$775 and will ship from July 26.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-G...roved-speakers-and-costs-US-775.427193.0.html

#30 Cyan, Jul 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    orangpelupa likes this.
  11. Entropy

Veteran

Ice Lake U, once it arrives, is unlikely to be very cheap....

12. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

depends on the price you are imagining. It won't be a gaming laptop, thought it looks very promising. Also the fact that Spectre and so on are a thing of the past with the new generation, is always good news. Especially the LPDDR4X ram is going to be super fast for games, and at 720p, a killer. Even at 1080p it can fight with tooth and nail, it seems.

https://translate.google.es/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://www.muycomputer.com/2019/05/28/procesadores-ice-lake/

13. ToTTenTranz

I don't know if Intel will be able to charge as much as they did with previous iterations for their quad-core 15W parts.
    From their own presentations, this time they seem a bit worried about comparisons with Picasso.

One can only imagine how a 7nm APU with RDNA GPU (better color compression throughout the pipeline) and access to the same LPDDR4X 3733MT/s (60GB/s total bandwidth) could do.
    Though that one isn't coming within the next half year at least.

14. Entropy

Veteran

I hope that AMD will release such a product soon (and lets not forget that Ice Lake U is scheduled for ”Holiday2019”).
    Ice Lake U features new packaging and tech alongside its new memory support and promises way better overall performance than its immediate predecessors. I definitely believe that Intel will charge accordingly for it, since it is destined for the highest end of exclusive light weight laptops.

And that may make it unsuitable for a small handheld windows console, no matter how tasty in other respects.