Quake IV Demo: Finally Released

Skrying said:
Its Quake..... but better. Lets be honest here, the Quake series has been about MP since Quake World. Quake II's MP was great, or maybe it was the fact that I fell into a great mod (LMCTF) and was hooked, literally with a off hand grapple hook!

I loved that to death, man the voice packs and everything, there were tons of good players and good matches games... Ah sorry it is reminiscent, I remember playing it when I was like a sophmore in highschool and my parents were gone, all I did was stay up all night playing, eat rocky road and go to school, but it was in the dial up era for me and my parents thought I was dead or something b/c the phone was always busy :p

Well, I liked the demo well enough to buy the "special" DVD edition of the game. Of course the $30 Best Buy gift certificate Megan won at my wife's hospital's Christmas party and the $25 check for my birthday from my company meant it only cost me $5 + sales tax. It was either Quake 4 or KotOR 2 (or maybe Fable), but they still had that priced at $50.

And for widescreen gaming pleasure, merely find your Quake4config.cfg file in the game's Q4base folder and make these changes:

seta r_customHeight "1050"
seta r_customWidth "1680"
seta r_fullscreen "1"
seta r_mode "-1"
seta r_aspectRatio "2"

Change the resolution to whatever is desired, naturally. My little X800 XT handles this resolution just fine with 2x AA and 8x AF. I also have seta g_fov "100" at the end of my Q4 shortcut's target line.

Edit: The aspectratio is 0 for 4:3, 1 for 16:9, and 2 for 16:10.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay ! So I bought Quake 4 from the Getgamesgo sale and while it donwloads I wish that the Great Gods of Gaming or whoever please give me links for th elatest version of :

Sikkmod for QUake 4
Any High res texture packs?
Any other graphical mods which might make it super sexy
and instructions on how to install them in my Steam version....

Please :D ! I haven't played Quake 4 before, and the only reason I bought it was because my Doom 3 looks freaking awesomely fantastically beautiful with Sikkmod and Wulfen texture pack ! Can I bring the same beauty into Q4?

Parallax mapping engine seems to be unavaialble everywhere .Davros do u have the PM engine file with you? Can u upload it or mail it to me?

Sikkmod is pretty low key for this one. No AO, no soft shadows, no SSIL and no DOF :( :( !

Edit: ok, I got the DOF, SSAO and motion blur working from the cfg file. But I keep getting flashes on my screen, sometimes they are white textures and sometimes some kind of "depth maps" of the stuff on my screen. They look like those normal maps but seem to be parsing the depth of the whole scene.

ps:
Quake 4 has a bug with cayman cards (discovered by Swayee)
I discovered a fix (worth checking even if you dont have a cayman)

In quake4config.cfg

seta image_downSizeLimit "1024"
seta image_ignoreHighQuality "0"
seta image_downSizeBumpLimit "1024"
seta image_downSizeSpecularLimit "1024"
seta image_downSizeBump "1"
seta image_downSizeSpecular "1"
seta image_useCompression "0"

there is also
seta image_downSize "1"
setting it to zero may turn off texture downsizing completely (no need for the 1024 settings) - havnt tested

I've also discovered that RtCW runs rather awful on Radeons for some reason. I have played it on cards like 4850, 5770, and 6950 and it will stutter frequently on all of them. This is confusing considering the game is from 2001. ;) If you rename the .exe to quake3.exe it runs perfectly however. The power of app profiles in the driver, I guess.

edit: I think I fixed RtCW on Radeons. Go into the wolfconfig.cfg and set r_primitives "2".

I managed to download it fine

Click link in my post
Takes you here :
http://www.gamefront.com/files/4302328
Click brown download now button

ps: if you still cant get it pm me somewhere to send it (along with max file size the place accepts)

I have done all that, did it again right now. After 5 seconds it tells me "Page not found". Tried it in firefox, it says that firefox could not find the file. Maybe its some kidof restrcition for people outside US?
Also, can't find it on Desura either.

Can u upload it to dropbox or Google drive? or any other cloud service I can access, cos gmail won't let u send a 75 mb file. Or you could use yousendit.com to send it, its free and the links stay live for 7 days.

ps:
Quake 4 has a bug with cayman cards (discovered by Swayee)
I discovered a fix (worth checking even if you dont have a cayman)

In quake4config.cfg

seta image_downSizeLimit "1024"
seta image_ignoreHighQuality "0"
seta image_downSizeBumpLimit "1024"
seta image_downSizeSpecularLimit "1024"
seta image_downSizeBump "1"
seta image_downSizeSpecular "1"
seta image_useCompression "0"

there is also
seta image_downSize "1"
setting it to zero may turn off texture downsizing completely (no need for the 1024 settings) - havnt tested

hmm..I checked in my sikkmod folder and

seta image_downSize was already set to 0. I turned it to 1 and used the above settings. Gotta try everything to get that flashing to go away.

Edit: OK, screen flashes gone :D ! had to disable SMP, info provided by sikkpin himself ! Now onwards to the next problem, loading hangs whenever a new level is loaded ! :-/

Back