Q1 Chipsets - ATI leapfrogs NVidia

http://tomshardware.co.uk/2006/04/25/chipset_sales_q1/

Add 'em all up and there is some contrary indicators in there. NV is up 91% year over year, but is losing share in Q1 2006? They're up 91% year over year, their market share is going up and their volume down in Q1?

That kind of puzzles me.

But not much for ATI to complain about there, except, of course, every low-end chipset sale drags down margins just a bit. They've certainly become a big-league player (market-share wise) faster than I recall NV doing it with nforce.

i don't have the numbers, nor the time, sorry -- picking mom up from the airport soon -- <s>but it seems safe to say nV and ati are both chewing up via's former sales, right? it seems like just three years ago people still cared about via chipsets...</s> let alone sis... amazingly, uli made some really nice stuff right before nV bought em.

[EDIT: 9_9;; just read the article... found time ok! ;o so clearly they're not eating up via's sales, but Intel's!

Last edited by a moderator:
Geo, the XBit article is a more complete report, why even bother with that junk, especially when it's based on the same report from Mercury?

Jawed

poopypoo said:
i don't have the numbers, nor the time, sorry -- picking mom up from the airport soon -- <s>but it seems safe to say nV and ati are both chewing up via's former sales, right? it seems like just three years ago people still cared about via chipsets...</s> let alone sis... amazingly, uli made some really nice stuff right before nV bought em.

[EDIT: 9_9;; just read the article... found time ok! ;o so clearly they're not eating up via's sales, but Intel's!

Once upon the time, Via and Intel made good, fast and reliable chipsets. Those times are over, that's the reason :)

This would be one of the reason support ATi strong chipset market due to Intel still insist ATi as a source. Here posted at Digitimes
Intel: No chipset shortages with better capacity allocation through ATI support

In my view, the way ATi tries to get into chipset market by dumping the price on IGP would be to introduce the solution as much as possible to anyone, thus they will get know ATi as a chipset maker. Also, if the product shows a good performer and quality, then the customer will get back to them in the future. After that, it would be more easier for them to do introducing upper class product.

satein said:
In my view, the way ATi tries to get into chipset market by dumping the price on IGP would be to introduce the solution as much as possible to anyone, thus they will get know ATi as a chipset maker. Also, if the product shows a good performer and quality, then the customer will get back to them in the future. After that, it would be more easier for them to do introducing upper class product.

It looks to me like they're tackling all market segments head on. Their high-end products are very attractive as well, the obstacle in that space is Nvidia mindshare - volume in the low-end isn't going to help that cause much.

The thing that puzzles me is why DFI and Asus seem so eager to support Crossfire - seriously, how many people (not reviewers) are using CF? 10? 20? It's such a marginal market the mind boggles at the kind of return on investment these mobo makers must be getting from these specific products.

Jawed

Jawed said:
Geo, the XBit article is a more complete report, why even bother with that junk, especially when it's based on the same report from Mercury?

Jawed

If Xbit had provided the NV year-over-year, I wouldn't have. But they didn't.

There's an interesting comparison to be made against the predictions (with historical data) contained here:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/chipsets/display/20051130225721.html

which indicate that ATI fell short of the predicted 15% overall share (getting 12%), with NVidia falling 1% below predicted share (9% instead of 10%).

Seems Intel has picked up significantly more share than expected, 57% instead of 47%, dramatically halting its decline instead of falling further.

That forecast expects NVidia to gain in Q2 whilst all others (except Intel) decline. Since that forecast is wildly out for Intel Q1-06, I guess it's safest to ignore the Q2-06 Intel forecast, though the rest of the predictions may well hold sway (particularly: ATI losing 2 %age points and NVidia gaining 2 %age points).

Jawed

Jawed said:
The thing that puzzles me is why DFI and Asus seem so eager to support Crossfire - seriously, how many people (not reviewers) are using CF? 10? 20? It's such a marginal market the mind boggles at the kind of return on investment these mobo makers must be getting from these specific products.

Jawed

Asus seem to support anything, is there a combination they do not support ? And if it is not Asus then offshoot Asrock completes the picture for covering anything left over. It even looks like it is going to support Conroe with an 865 AGP motherboard !

DFi on the otherhand are the new Abit and so are overclocker friendly, hence they probably think they will get sales from people wanting the real top end.

Back