PUBG - PlayerUnknown's BattleGrounds [XO, PS4]

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by mpg1, Oct 31, 2017.

1. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

We're not. Also, it's not released, it's in games preview, but I suppose that distinction is beyond your comprehension. Also you're wrong in most aspects as well because the game isn't broken. It's not performant in certain areas, but it's entirely playable in others as evident by the massive number of players it still draws despite all the flaws.

RootKit likes this.
  2. djskribbles

Legend Veteran

That's kind of a cheap shot at Fortnite. Sure the map is smaller, but does that mean it's a lesser experience?

Smaller map, streamlined loot system and the building mechanic makes Fortnite faster paced. It's a similar game in concept, but plays differently. Not better or worse, it depends on your preference.

Twitch can be a good indicator of popularity, but not always. Streamers are sponsored to play certain games and viewer count is highly variable because of that.

Twitch is also just a source of entertainment. A lot of people, believe it or not, follow and view streamers solely for entertainment.

Player count is a definitive measure though, and PUBG is no doubt a popular game. BR games are blowing up right now. Both PUBG and Fortnite are above 20M players.

I've said since the announcement that this is XB1's biggest 'exclusive'. It will sell a lot, but I don't see it as a system mover, because it already has a massive install base on PC. And development is well ahead of XB1.

Shifty Geezer and BRiT like this.
  3. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

yea it will have legs no doubt. I think in time when the issues are ironed out, it will help stop other competitors from coming in and taking over it's pole position over battle royale games.

4. Scott_Arm

Legend

Pubg's map and world are far more complex than Fortnite. That's just a fact. It's also not a AAA game.

RootKit and Malo like this.
  5. djskribbles

Legend Veteran

No one is disputing that. I just felt that 'a lot less of everything' is kind of a cheap shot at Fortnite... makes Fortnite sound like a lesser game or experience, but that's not the case. If that wasn't his intent, then I apologize, but it sure sounded like a cheap shot.
    I mean in terms of player count, I believe Fortnite is higher. Last reported figures were 30M vs 20M. But Fortnite is free to play and on more platforms, so it's difficult to judge which is more popular.

On twitch, PUBG is usually higher in view count, so there's that. But again, twitch is highly variable, and player count is definitive.

This will be my last post on Fortnite vs PUBG, both are great games. Hopefully they can stabilize the XB1 build though because it does need some work.

6. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

I think the combined base of fortnite being larger than PUBG is highly probable. I definitely agree with that assessment, being free also helps as well.

7. JPT

JPT
    Veteran

Pubg is not available for PS4 probably does not help the numbers much

Silent_Buddha and BRiT like this.
  8. Scott_Arm

Legend

I have no idea why sales numbers between pubg and fortnite even matter. Both are very popular games.

DrJay24 likes this.
  9. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

In a game thread about PUBG, it does make you wonder. ;)

10. Scott_Arm

Legend

So, PUGB on xbox seems to have aim acceleration which kicks in quickly. Best way to combat it is to turn the sensitivity way down. I've actually been playing with my aim sensitivity lowered to 2 and deadzone at 0. Much easier to track targets and not over/under aim.

BRiT likes this.
  11. Scott_Arm

Legend

12. Scott_Arm

Legend

First patch ... 4.7 GB :shock:

https://forums.playbattlegrounds.com/topic/134575-xbox-game-preview-patch-notes-1/

I'll try it out and see if I notice any differences on the One X.

#152 Scott_Arm, Dec 19, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    BRiT likes this.
  13. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

Keep us updated. Initial impressions seem generally positive on ResetEra, included a few of them below.

I'm not sure why some are surprised at a patch within 1 week of it entering Game Preview. I can't find exactly where they talked about it, but I recall something about game updates coming around once a week.

~~~
    https://www.resetera.com/threads/1s...e-preview-announced.11782/page-2#post-2295440
    On the X the lobby is pretty much 30fps now, if nobody throws molotovs around, the game itself is also locked 30fps most of the time for me. Since they changed something from the server side 2 days ago, even better now after the patch.
    Besides the still bad lag at the beginning of a match, it's smooth.

~~~
    https://www.resetera.com/threads/1s...e-preview-announced.11782/page-2#post-2296263
    I think the game runs better on my X after the patch. The difference in the starting lobby, the airplane and while driving is especially noticeable.

There still is a lot of work that needs to be done, but this is a nice start.
    ~~~
    https://www.resetera.com/threads/1s...e-preview-announced.11782/page-2#post-2298072
    Just played the the game wirh the new patch, it's so much better! Even on the plane the frames are more consistent, not perfect, but it's a lot better.

PS: Played on the Xbox One OG

RootKit likes this.
  14. Scott_Arm

Legend

It's noticeably better. Some of the bigger towns with a lot of houses still seem to exhibit the worst of the frame rates. Aiming feels smoother most of the time. It's definitely not locked 30, but it's a much better experience. The default controls still probably need some work, but I think I'd be comfortable bumping up my sensitivies by one. My try it later.

iroboto, RootKit and BRiT like this.
  15. DrJay24

Veteran

Not one to one, but it looks like an improvement.

iroboto likes this.
  16. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

A good start. Looks like a long way to go beforehand 1.0 though. Which 1.0 on console being vastly more polished than PC

17. zed

zed
    Veteran

just drop it. Its broken deal with it, see the above video's theres no way the games not broken as it currently exists now.
    WRT why ppl play a game in large number that is obviously so broken? I suppose you can read reviews why that is, eg heres one of the first reviews for PC (which is less broken than the xbox version)
    https://www.polygon.com/2017/12/20/16795524/pubg-review-playerunknowns-battlegrounds-pc-xbox-one
    scroll down to the video with the large words on it
    PUBG IS BROKEN AS HELL
    So what rating does this broken game get?
    10/10 :lol:
    I suppose thats why ppl play such a broken game

18. DrJay24

Veteran

This was a fair view of the pre-patch state. They love the game, but know it needs work on XB. IMO MS should have sponsored a beta or preview version. Give it away free for a month or so while it gets patched up and get people hooked on the game itself.

Scott_Arm and BRiT like this.
  19. Scott_Arm

Legend

I think the video is a fair look at the game. I'm not sure a beta or demo of a game in preview makes much sense. Maybe Game Preview should have a more clear explanation. I don't know how Steam describes Early Access. My thought is they probably could have waited start selling the game until after Christmas, but there are obvious monetary reasons for not waiting, for both Microsoft and Bluenote.

I kind of like the point at the end about pc vs console. It's part of what I mentioned earlier in this thread, I think. People on console have an expectation on quality performance etc. PC has a long history of games that release messed up and get better over time. PC players are a lot more accepting of issues in games. On console, there's no history of that.

#159 Scott_Arm, Dec 20, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    iroboto likes this.
  20. Scott_Arm

Legend

Are you arguing people play it because the media has tricked them into thinking it's good?

RootKit and egoless like this.