PUBG - PlayerUnknown's BattleGrounds [XO, PS4]

mpg1

Veteran
Not sure what other thread to post this in but:

I just watched the stream. Available on December 12th. Will be $29.99. Will support HDR. 4K support on X1X will come later.

https://news.xbox.com/2017/10/31/pu...id=Evergreen_soc_omc_xbo_tw_Photo_lrn_10.31.4

PUBG-PGW-Announce-Art.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
They (PUBG, not MS in this case) needed to get something out as Fortnight has been eating into their share heavily.

Fortnight is both free and available now on both console AFAIK. Big advantages. People hear all the hubbub over PUBG, it's only natural they'll try something free and available now on their console (Fortnight) that's a bit of doppelganger.

They (PUBG, not MS in this case) needed to get something out as Fortnight has been eating into their share heavily.

Fortnight is both free and available now on both console AFAIK. Big advantages. People hear all the hubbub over PUBG, it's only natural they'll try something free and available now on their console (Fortnight) that's a bit of doppelganger.

This was announced for Xbox One back at E3...I think it was always intended to come in later part of 2017 we just didn't have a specific date until now.

This was announced for Xbox One back at E3...I think it was always intended to come in later part of 2017 we just didn't have a specific date until now.

Yep. They said it would be in game preview in 2017, which appears to be the case now.

Yeah I know. Just that the date was dragging and nobody knew if/when it was actually coming in 2017 anymore. Of course now we do. Player unknown had to get a move on IMO.

Isn't Fortnight out now and free? My son won his first match last night, he jumped and cheered, it was pretty funny. I don't understand the appeal of these games. People are chasing a closing circle and rummaging for gear so they can kill a few people then get killed and start over? I guess whatever the streamers like, the lemmings will follow.

Isn't Fortnight out now and free? My son won his first match last night, he jumped and cheered, it was pretty funny. I don't understand the appeal of these games. People are chasing a closing circle and rummaging for gear so they can kill a few people then get killed and start over? I guess whatever the streamers like, the lemmings will follow.
its more fun to play than to watch.
It's an extremely intense game and the addictive appeal comes from making further than your last run

PUBG is interesting to watch in the last 10 minutes of a game where they're in the last 20 alive. The first 30 minutes is usually them running around a large area collecting stuff with no one in sight.

PUBG is interesting to watch in the last 10 minutes of a game where they're in the last 20 alive. The first 30 minutes is usually them running around a large area collecting stuff with no one in sight.
that's actually a lot of fun to play; though not to watch.

I think the suspense of the game is what lures people in. You have 100 players in an open-world with a ton of opportunity for stealth. You're on edge because you can't predict the timing of when anything will happen. I imagine the suspense ramps up the longer you survive.

I think the suspense of the game is what lures people in. You have 100 players in an open-world with a ton of opportunity for stealth. You're on edge because you can't predict the timing of when anything will happen. I imagine the suspense ramps up the longer you survive.

Yup, all that with trying to outthink 99, 98, or 96 other players (depending if playing solo match, duo, or full 4 player team). Is it safe to go to X location? Do you want to play it safe? Do you want to try to crash someone's party? Do you want to try to win? Etc. It goes well with some amazingly different play styles.

And then as the circles start to close, you never know if you'll get lucky and all your planning will pay off or if you'll end up boned and have to try to think of something off the top of your head with no time to actually think.

The last 5-10 minutes is an absolute adrenaline rush of whether things will play out well or if everything will turn into a chaotic mess. It can be glorious at times.

Regards,
SB

As long as you can quickly get into new games after dying, I can see it being fun. If you have to wait around for ages after dying until a new match starts, it'd be super boring.

As long as you can quickly get into new games after dying, I can see it being fun. If you have to wait around for ages after dying until a new match starts, it'd be super boring.

On PC it generally just takes a few seconds to get into a new match due to how many people are playing it at any given moment. Oct 11. had more than 2 million concurrent players and that number has been steadily rising. So it's not bad at all.

People mention Fortnite, but that hasn't made a single dent in PUBG numbers. Both are growing. Fortnite tends to attract a slightly different playerbase than PUBG as while they are both battle royale type games, they each have extremely different gameplay mechanics. People who don't like PUBG like Fortnite a LOT, for example. IE - a lot of the people playing Fortnite are playing it are people that didn't like PUBG enough to play it for more than a few days (some twitch/YouTube examples being Total Biscuit and Jesse Cox). On the other hand some people that are really into PUBG that tried Fortnite, went right back to PUBG (Forcesc2strategy gaming, Crendor, for example).

Regards,
SB

On PC it generally just takes a few seconds to get into a new match due to how many people are playing it at any given moment. Oct 11. had more than 2 million concurrent players and that number has been steadily rising. So it's not bad at all.

People mention Fortnite, but that hasn't made a single dent in PUBG numbers. Both are growing. Fortnite tends to attract a slightly different playerbase than PUBG as while they are both battle royale type games, they each have extremely different gameplay mechanics. People who don't like PUBG like Fortnite a LOT, for example. IE - a lot of the people playing Fortnite are playing it are people that didn't like PUBG enough to play it for more than a few days (some twitch/YouTube examples being Total Biscuit and Jesse Cox). On the other hand some people that are really into PUBG that tried Fortnite, went right back to PUBG (Forcesc2strategy gaming, Crendor, for example).

Regards,
SB
things can be so unpredictable that maybe one day Fortnite is going to surpass PUBG in popularity.

My other prediction is that almost every single game in the future is going to include a PUBG like multiplayer mode.

Yes impending Battle Royale mode in COD WW2

I'm sceptical that a game like COD could pull it off...those multiplayer maps are pretty small and I wonder if it would take a major overhaul to the game engine to implement a proper battle royal mode.

Battlefield on the other hand....I'm surprised we haven't seen a Battle Royale mode put into BF1...though they could be waiting until next years release..

Also a game like GTA:V multiplayer seems perfect for a Battle Royale mode...although maybe you could argue it already was "Battle Royale"

GTA battle royale would be amazing.

Red Dead Redemption 2 Battle Royale ... also amazing.

Pretty much only works with open-world games, but those are pretty common now.

Back