PSVR questionable without PS4K?

60 Hz solid for PSVR. This is upscaled to 120 Hz. There's a 90 Hz option, and it's 90 Hz for PCVR.

PSVR questionable without the currently unknown but possibly quite computationally proficient (and expensive) external box of silicone?

Perhaps neo bundles with PSVR will have less here and the console has to take the strain to reduce BOM.

PS4 base plus external processor = neo?

The external box provides no rendering power. 60 fps rock solid rendering has to happen on the PS4, for the external box to display on the headset.

See above, did the EU tear MS a new one with all the release screenshots being 720p but when the final game released it was 640p with no AA?

Because the EU mandated consumer protection laws don't cover advertising, this is down to individual EU Member States to police and enforce, e.g. in the UK it's the Advertising Standards Authority. But a deposit is considered a sale and you aren't permitted to change the terms of a sale after taking payment. Gawd bless the EU and all who sale in her.

The external box provides no rendering power. 60 fps rock solid rendering has to happen on the PS4, for the external box to display on the headset.

but 60 is not 90 the threshold of VR, the box is suspected to re-project the created frame and also do the spatial audio deal with the social screen which may not be what the VR headset is showing.

That seems like a fair amount of work and reports have this box running hot enough to use active cooling.

My point was merely that PS4 cannot do VR without this box of extra tricks as it is more of a social VR solution, but is one which has been sampled by many folks and seems very effective.

NEO might just be the icing on the cake but PSVR is working on the base PS4 thanks to their processing box / engineering team :D

Non sequitur strawman.
? I think you better recheck what I wrote, I gave a perfect example of a similar company not doing what they said they would and AFAIKR they didnt get 'torn a new one'

And for the record, Sony are very good at blocking games that don't meet their targets.
How did that 15fps game get released last week?

If VR requires a new console, Sony wouldn't be releasing it on PS4.
'requires' as in works reasonably well

But a deposit is considered a sale and you aren't permitted to change the terms of a sale after taking payment.
So it was impossible to preorder halo 3 (pay a deposit)?
My whole point is companies regularly mislead consumers without getting 'torn a new one' (phrase of the thread)

How did that 15fps game get released last week?
You missed out the second part of my point. I know someone who has been withheld a year from releasing by Sony QA because they kept finding bugs and rejecting the submission. Quite why they don't apply this QA across the board (I guess minimum framerate isn't a technical requirement for conventional games) is a mystery.

'requires' as in works reasonably well
There is no "works reasonably well" in VR. Have you not been paying attention?! When it doesn't work, it isn't just a case of the experience being a little sub-par, but it's actively uncomfortable that people have to stop playing. If a game isn't 60 fps solid, people will get sick from playing it, take off the headset, and never try VR again. That's what all the VR people have been telling us. That's what Sony have told us, explaining why they have refrained from doing VR any earlier, and why they reproject to 120 Hz, and why that needs a solid 60 fps base framerate.

My whole point is companies regularly mislead consumers without getting 'torn a new one' (phrase of the thread)
In this case, if Sony mislead, VR on PS is dead and they'll have wasted goodness knows how much investment, just because they didn't follow up on their own identified requirements and QA.

? I think you better recheck what I wrote, I gave a perfect example of a similar company not doing what they said they would and AFAIKR they didnt get 'torn a new one'
Well, yes, you gave a perfect example of a non sequitur. Different company involved, different situation. One does not have anything to do with the other.

but 60 is not 90 the threshold of VR, the box is suspected to re-project the created frame and also do the spatial audio deal with the social screen which may not be what the VR headset is showing.

That seems like a fair amount of work and reports have this box running hot enough to use active cooling.

My point was merely that PS4 cannot do VR without this box of extra tricks as it is more of a social VR solution, but is one which has been sampled by many folks and seems very effective.

NEO might just be the icing on the cake but PSVR is working on the base PS4 thanks to their processing box / engineering team :D

Omg, multiple people from Sony have stated multiple times that the box did not do frame interpolation. It only do the audio and video processing to display to TV.

We don't know how much power 3d audio and video unwrap.

We don't know what soc Sony use. It can be something archaic like old stock or unfulfilled contract of vita soc.

Or Sony simply gone cheap and did not want to put huge heatsink on PU.

We don't know.

One does not have anything to do with the other.
Facepalm, yes a console manufacturer mandating a minimum resolution is nothing like a console manufacturer mandating a minimum framerate ;-) thats like comparing apples to neutron stars theyre so different, Oh well I guess we'll find out in a few months how it goes (launch titles should be OK I suspect, due to the extra good impression sony will want to make, its the next batch that I expect we'll see problems)

the problem is... normal TV game can be played even with crazy amount of inconsistent frame time while running in 10 fps to 60fps.

but VR game wont be able to be played if the frame rate is not rock solid 60 fps at minimum.

So it was impossible to preorder halo 3 (pay a deposit)?
I don't understand this reference. I am addressing your point that you felt Sony should drop PS4 from PSVR, they can't because some of their retail partners for the PSVR launch have required a deposit to secure a pre-order and this engages EU legislation that prohibits a change in the terms of sale. Sales and marketing are very different and few people complain about misleading marketing to their national regulator so it rarely gets addressed with only the most egregious transgressions getting investigated.

Omg, multiple people from Sony have stated multiple times that the box did not do frame interpolation. It only do the audio and video processing to display to TV.

We don't know what soc Sony use. It can be something archaic like old stock or unfulfilled contract of vita soc.

We don't know.
Agreed, the box is most likely quite simple ARM chip with some memory.

Unwarp is quite simple to do either with pixel shader or simple polygon grid with single texture. (~0.25GPixeks for 1920x1080x120hz)
Audio is more complex depending how it is made, but I would expect it to be quite fast to do even with binaural 'simulation'.

Social screen image comes trough USB and is passed to TV HDMI.

We don't know.

fair enough I had not see the Sony statements only speculation.

I think read that it was not as powerful as a PS4 but not trivial which makes me think it sits more towards powerful than not, I like the idea of using unfulfilled chips, green is a weird sort of way.

I wonder if they have made the external box hdmi2.0 for the ps4k that might be set to push the OS at 4K which goes via this box unless they expect you to remove it and re plug in HDMI leads when you switch between PSVR and normal games?

I'm half expecting the US to issue an export embargo on the PSVR box. Anything more than a handful of those break-out boxes in the wrong hands might allow a rogue state to build Skynet.

I thought they said the reprojection was done on the console, not in the add-on box?

I can imagine the quirky "artist formerly known as EA" prioritizing a console with better performance but zero user base and throwing the console with 40+ million its puke inducing sloppy seconds. But luckily most pubs are more business than artist and don't operate without considering revenue potential.

And I imagine any dev willing to go that route lacks the resources to readily wring out the level of performance that the ps4k potentially offers. They would probably be forced to kickstart. Leading to early access and two crappy ports anyways.

LOL.

Back