PSVR questionable without PS4K?

zed

Legend
Reading a lot of posts here I get the impression some people don't understand the chief reason for the ps4k upgrade, as in its there aiding the PSVR (ala the normal ps4 doesnt have enuf grunt to run VR well enuf, see the rift,vives min specs). I was gonna post a few weeks ago about this but (incorrectly it now seems) thought everyone understood this already as its so obvious.
So I'm curious, those that don't think that the ps4k is chiefly made to help out PSVR, what on earth is your logical reasoning for this belief.

You have to break them down into 3 groups or more.
The knowledged, the ignorant, and the insane.

For the ignorant members perhaps they think its to get current PS4 owners to upgrade so Sony can make TONS and TONS of money selling these new systems.

The only problem with that idea is that Sony/MS business model is to sell the consoles near manufacturing cost, and make little profit off of it, instead making profit off of PSN subscriptions, accessory markup, 3rd party royalties, 1st party games, and now digital distribution via the Playstation Store. Infact Sony is potentially negatively impacting profits in the short term on adopters who would either would have had lots more money to spend on games (current PS4 owners switching to PS4K), or those without a PS4 at least $100 more on games, had they gone with the regular PS4 rather than the more expensive PS4K.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
For the more knowledged members, perhaps they think its multipronged and yes for VR but also to get gamers to stay with PS4 rather than migrate to PC as superior to PS4 components become cheaper and cheaper. Perhaps also its to entice future gamers who are on the fence about buying a decent gaming PC or PS4 or $100 cheaper Xbox Ono.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
For the insane members
Its to counter the upcoming DX12.1 (or possibly 12.2) release on Xbox One that will unlock the dark Silicon hidden ALU layer 2.6TF DP (5.2TF single precision), 10TB/s internal Esram bandwidth, that has Sony execs crying themselves to sleep every night.

I don't care about PSVR but am interested in a more powerful PS4. So if that's why they are making it then great.

Orbis <-> Vitae
Neo <-> Morpheus

When the code name was introduced I couldn't see Morpheus was the movie character, I thought it's from Greek myth...

Ken Kutaragi said:
You can communicate to a new AI. Did you ever see the movie The Matrix? Same interface. Same concept. Only better. Starting from next year, you can chat to the world's first AI!

People also don't realize that regardless of what Sony does or even Nintendo....that Microsoft would end up benefiting from the multi platform games specially going to PC versions because Microsoft is trying to lock that down to Windows 10.

In essence no matter which sells the most out of the pie charts the gamer-fan fanboys can't complain because each platform offers a garden variety of gaming experiences.

Reading a lot of posts here I get the impression some people don't understand the chief reason for the ps4k upgrade, as in its there aiding the PSVR (ala the normal ps4 doesnt have enuf grunt to run VR well enuf...
So what you're saying is PSVR is only for PS4Neo, and PS4 won't run it? That the true price of VR on PS is >$800 as you need a headset and a new console, and Sony's going to pull the VR rug out from everyone when they announce PS4Neo?

So what you're saying is PSVR is only for PS4Neo, and PS4 won't run it?
Hopefully thats the case, but I wouldnt count on it cause of the backlash. I wouldnt be surprised if sony does announce you can play PSVR on the ps4 (and have a disclaimer in 1pt font, 'but everything is gonna look/play like crap' )

That goes completely against everything Sony has said about VR to date. And completely against everyone's experience with PSVR on PS4, unless you believe that everyone's been playing Neo without realising.

So, in answer to your original question, my logical reasons for believing PS4N isn't about VR is because VR has been shown and proven to work on PS4, Sony have been clear in their messaging to consumers and devs regards PS4, and hence PSVR doesn't need 'help'. We also already have a clear interest in the notion of half-way upgrades in consoles as covered by discussion over the years in this forum before PSVR was ever a thing - the notion of playing one's favourite console games in higher quality is compelling for enough gamers to make this a product worth trying.

Hopefully thats the case, but I wouldnt count on it cause of the backlash. I wouldnt be surprised if sony does announce you can play PSVR on the ps4 (and have a disclaimer in 1pt font, 'but everything is gonna look/play like crap' )

For a start, such a move would be illegal under many country's consumer law - the EU would tear Sony a new one. Second Sony have already released tons of official footage of PSVR games running on base PS4 hardware. People know and will expect some pairing back on visuals compared to 2D games because of the need to attain a minimum rock solid 60fps and because you need to generate two frames at 60fps. Just look at the game being touted at The Getaway 3 vs. GTA V. :yep2:

So I'm curious, those that don't think that the ps4k is chiefly made to help out PSVR, what on earth is your logical reasoning for this belief.
Sony has mandated all VR titles must run 60fps locked, no dropped frames. Also, VR headsets have been shown and demonstrated publically repeatedly, they're out amongst developers making games for PSVR (whereas PS4k is not), so obviously oldtimey PS4 can do it.

They can't afford to make psvr only compatible with PS4K, or it's doomed. Maybe the only thing PS4K will allow for vr games is superior framerate without the need of frame interpolation.

More likely I would say that PS4K enables a potential PSVR2 a few years down the road without having to wait for an all new PS5. I still feel like this generation of VR HMD is premature from a technology, content, and broad adoption standpoint, and another iteration may be enough to pass some critical thresholds to make it a device that anyone could justify owning. That's not to say that I think PS4K exists for the purpose of a PSVR2, but it at least leaves it open as a possibility for Sony. The R&D legwork that went into understanding what the needs of VR are (and what it will likely be for the next 5 or so years) wasn't done until after PS4 launched, and a PS4K would give them a chance to address that with some educated future-proofing.

If Sony has any interest in pursuing AR/VR as a future computing platform they can't tie it to a traditional 5+ year console cycle and expect to keep pace with Apple, Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Samsung, etc once those machines get rolling. The choice then becomes whether they: a) decouple VR/AR from the Playstation product line and iterate through PC peripherals, phones, or stand-alone devices, or b) iterate the Playstation product line more frequently and keep these high visibility AR/VR technologies attached to the Playstation brand and shore up their position in the home.

Since CPU is also bit better, some games will maybe switch from 60fps to 90fps rendering.
I don't think so. From 60 to 90 is 50% faster and rendering a much higher resolution is already not totally CPU free. I think they'll prefer more stable 60fps, higher resolutions and maybe better effects.

Also going to 90fps you lose the 120hz trick. And it's less work for the devs to aim 60fps on both models, and easily increase the resolution on Neo.

Back