PSP2 features - the handheld version *renamed

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are some updates to the rumoured PSP2 hardware:

- OLED screen
- Front and back touchscreen
- 3G connection without phone capabilities

The probabilities of having a 3D parallax barrier screen seem to diminish each time there's a specs leak. I don't remember ever seeing any news about OLED 3D panels.

It seems the PSP2 will try to take the market based almost solely on higher specs and little to no innovating features (although it will support itself on solid and proven techs like a high-quality screen, touch interface and 24/7 internet connectivity).

Interesting appraisal

Care to elaborate which feature hasn't been available in handheld devices for the past 2 years?

Unless you consider the backpanel touchscreen an "innovation".

Care to elaborate which feature hasn't been available in handheld devices for the past 2 years?

Unless you consider the backpanel touchscreen an "innovation".

Certainly no less of an innovation than a second screen is, not like two LCDs was some new technology.

I for one think that innovation for the sake of innovation is a dangerous mindset and can lead to problems.

The probabilities of having a 3D parallax barrier screen seem to diminish each time there's a specs leak. I don't remember ever seeing any news about OLED 3D panels.

Sony have a 24.5" OLED autosteriocopic TV in the works, it was shown at this year's CES. I have seen it in their labs. It is nothing short of amazing.

Certainly no less of an innovation than a second screen is, not like two LCDs was some new technology.

I for one think that innovation for the sake of innovation is a dangerous mindset and can lead to problems.

2 screens and one of them being touch-sensitive. Back in 2004 that was pretty innovating, IMO.

Now try convincing a huge crowd how a touchscreen in the back of the console will revolutionize the way you play handheld games.

Well, considering the device is going to be announced in 3 days, I'll save my judgement until there.
Still crossing my fingers for a 3D-enabled screen, though (no matter how impossible that sounds by now).

Last edited by a moderator:
its not so much if you`d call it an "invention", but asking if it actually makes for a better product (questioning the value).

if someone "innovates" a motorcycle with both wheels rotated by 90 degrees would you
  • buy it because its innovative
  • buy a regular "uninventive" but better working one

it certainly would get more press than the regular bikes, and unfortunately that seems to be worth more than a good product nowadays.

Does it actually say that the OLED screen is a touch screen? There seemed to be some confusion over that when I first saw this info.

Its more like developing a car which would automatically drive you to your destination. But was only guaranteed to get you within 10 miles of your destination and you couldn't drive it manually. Its an innovation, just not one that is ready for market yet. Spend some more money, develop the tech further and then put it in a product.

Its absolutely nothing like that what so ever :LOL:

When you have a so called inovation that results in a significant compromise in another important area then yes, it is entirely questionable. Perhaps a better way of looking at this is that inovative does not always equate to useful, particularly when it comes at the cost of large compromises in other important area.

Personally, I'll always take a crisp hi resolution display over one that seriously compromises this for the sake of a gimmick.

I'd MUCH rather have the 3D then a higher res screen personally. If 3DS was just better graphics and a high res screen I'd be far less excited, certainly wouldn't be pre-ordering it. Then again I don't believe 3D is a gimmick so that's probably why.

I'd MUCH rather have the 3D then a higher res screen personally. If 3DS was just better graphics and a high res screen I'd be far less excited, certainly wouldn't be pre-ordering it.

As I said, personally. I won't be touchng the 3DS with a barge pole!

Just one more thing: we cannot really say it's 400*240. It's 400*240 for each eye and they're looking at different pixels, so the brain should interpret the acquired image as something like ~565*340 (twice the pixels at the same screen ratio).

I'm not sure where the increse in vertical resilution comes from, although I'd agree that horizontally it will look > 400 pixels.

I'm not sure where the increse in vertical resilution comes from, although I'd agree that horizontally it will look > 400 pixels.

400*240 = 96000 pixels
400*240*2 = 192000 pixels (same resolution for each eye)

565*340 = 192100 ~= 192000 pixels

400/240 = 1,66666...
565/340 ~= 1,66666...

Same amount of pixels, same aspect ratio. That was my logic.

Why is eg. switching to a OLED less important to you, when it increases several aspects of the screen without drawbacks ala 3D (well ignoring possibly shorter lifetime, I dunno how far the OLED technology has improved)... just because its less "innovative" by some standards????

I've had an OLED screen with me everyday since the Summer 2009 when I bought my i8910. I know how good it is, but I also know it can't be called innovative when hundreds of handheld models have been carrying it for more than a year. Even the low(ish)-cost ZTE Blade has one.

reading text on a OLED screen is better than a regular LCD, and that in tun is better than reading text on auto stereoscopic screens.

Unless the PSP2 will have its success based on Scrabble, Sudoku and text-based RPGs, I don't see how that's a determining factor for a gaming console.
BTW, AMOLED is cool for text if it's NOT a PenTile Matrix version.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless the PSP2 will have its success based on Scrabble, Sudoku and text-based RPGs, I don't see how that's a determining factor for a gaming console.
For a handheld thats supposed to do more than just games its a big issue. And the text-rendering is just one thing (easy to point out to be worse with such screens), everything benefits from higher res while 3D is beneficial only under certain circumstances.

If it has 3G, does that mean it will require a data contract?

Pay as you go data plans are practically non-existent in the US.

Even with a pay as you go plan, only people with credit cards would be able to sign up for service.

If it has 3G, does that mean it will require a data contract?

Pay as you go data plans are practically non-existent in the US.

Even with a pay as you go plan, only people with credit cards would be able to sign up for service.

I'd say Sony will try to make a Kindle-ish 3G connectivity, with the bandwidth being exclusive to social gimmicks, PSN leaderboards and consultng the PSN store. The larger data downloads (game demos, movies, music and probably full games) would be reserved for wi-fi access only.

I would love to have stereoscopic 3D as an optional feature as long as the trade-off didn't set back to such a degree such a critical quality of the display.

As for the backside trackpad, Motorola has had a phone out for a while called the Charm with a Backtrack.

Worked OK for me in my testing, and I might integrate a control method like that into my normal usage for moving a cursor around a text box on a webpage or something similar. I'm able to do the same things, though, via normal touch interfaces already, so I didn't find a backtrack too compelling in that context.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back