PSP wont connect with my wireless router

fallguy

Veteran
Ok, I have googled, and searchedother forums, still cant get it to work. I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. I have entered my 10 digit WEP key several times. I have also disabled WEP in my router, and PSP. MAC filtering is off. I have also set the router to no encryption, and the same for the PSP, no luck. I have tried manual and auto, and followed online guides, nothing seems to work. Its probably me doing something wrong.

The little green light is on, and I get a 100% signal strength from the test. After I finish the setup, I try to test the connection, and it fails with the code of 80410D09. Ive tried lots of different guides, and nothing is working.

Any help? :/

I have the same router and my PSP connected immediately using all the default settings. That's right - I simply accepted everything (by pressing right on the d-pad to advance screen after screen) and it worked.

Well, that's not exactly true. The first time, I forgot to flip that little switch on the PSP that enables WiFi. :oops:

I wish I had some advice for you, but the best I can do is tell you to check out the "PSP hardware" forum at GameFaqs. I've seen a number of threads about connecting, and several discussions about our particular router.

Good luck.

Ill check out those forums thanks.

I think I have tried static IP. Im not that great at networking. :/

I have the same router, and I didn't get my PSP to connect until I removed the WEP. :? As soon as I disabled the WEP, it worked like a charm. All other settings are default in the router. The router needs to have the DHCP on IIRC.

I have WEP off, but not sure if DHCP is on. I guess it is, the only option I see for it, is on the main setup page. Its got enabled checked. Also, what firmware are you using? Did you have to manually setup anything on the PSP, or just auto?

fallguy said:
I have WEP off, but not sure if DHCP is on. I guess it is, the only option I see for it, is on the main setup page. Its got enabled checked. Also, what firmware are you using? Did you have to manually setup anything on the PSP, or just auto?
Yeah, on the main setup page. I'll have to check the firmware version when I get home as I am at the office at the moment. I just used automatic on the PSP, and as soon as I disabled WEP on the router & PSP, it started to work. I have a hunch that there is some compatibility problem with the Linksys WLAN router & the PSP. :?

Ugh, Ive seen several posts with my router, and it not working with the PSP. I have the latest official firmware, and everything is setup correctly as far as I can tell.

MAC filtering is off.
DHCP is on.
WEP is off.
Firewall is off.

I have a local coffee shop with free wi-fi, Ill try to make my way down there to see if it works. Ive been looking for a reason to get that new D-Link Gamers router anyways..

I would try getting the WiFi connection to work with your laptop (or another PC) and then use the same network settings on your PSP.

Also, what do you have within your network?

Internet Modem (i.e. Cable) <----> Router <-----> WiFi Access Point <----> Client 1, 2, 3 :?:

A few other things to look out for:

Correct Gateway settings?
Correct DNS settings?

Phil said:
I would try getting the WiFi connection to work with your laptop (or another PC) and then use the same network settings on your PSP.

Also, what do you have within your network?

Internet Modem (i.e. Cable) <----> Router <-----> WiFi Access Point <----> Client 1, 2, 3 :?:

A few other things to look out for:

Correct Gateway settings?
Correct DNS settings?

I dont have a laptop, but my little girls PC with a USB wireless adapter works fine.

It goes, cable mobem>router>wired PC/wireless PC.

I dont know if you're talking about the gateway/DNS on my router, or PSP. Either way, Im pretty much in the dark about networking. I can do basic stuff, but I dont understand a lot of it. Its by far my most ignorant part of the PC world.

WRT54G? have you tried any of the community-made firmwares (you should be using those anyway because they rock... using an Sveasoft one at home, and by dramatically increasing the power output I can get wireless in the garage)

No I have not, I have read and seen polls where they are liked more. HyperWRT seems to be the most liked.

I dont think signal strength is my problem, as my PSP gets 100% from anywhere in the house. We've got a single level house, with no block walls or anything.

just pointing out that the community firmwares are often quite good. might give that a shot.

fallguy said:
I dont have a laptop, but my little girls PC with a USB wireless adapter works fine.

I dont know if you're talking about the gateway/DNS on my router, or PSP. Either way, Im pretty much in the dark about networking. I can do basic stuff, but I dont understand a lot of it. Its by far my most ignorant part of the PC world.

Hmm, I suppose there's no way to ping another client within your network from your PSP? Because at the moment, I'm not entirely sure it's a hardware related problem (that could be solved by firmware updates etc) or just a config problem.

Is there anyway to make sure that the PSP is indeed connected to your wireless network?

Some of the most basic problems with normal computers and WiFi (that I have experienced) is that the client is often connected to the network (and therefore can ping other clients within that network) but can't use internet etc (sometimes due to incorrect Gateway and DNS settings that are unique to the ISPs).

fallguy, what are the network settings (that work) on your daughters PC?
IP (static 192.168.x.y or DHCP enabled)?
Subnet Mask (C-Class Network, i.e: 255.255.255.0)?
Default Gateway (only if DHCP disabled, then the gateway should be the IP of your Router, i.e. 192.168.0.1)

DNS settings aren't really important, unless you're trying to access the internet from the client.

If the settings on your PSP are equal to those on the client that works, then it should at least be able to establish a connection to the network...

(PS: Excuse the tech talk - I don't have a PSP, so it's quite difficult to think of any possible solutions to test what works and what doesn't...)

The Baron said:
WRT54G? have you tried any of the community-made firmwares (you should be using those anyway because they rock... using an Sveasoft one at home, and by dramatically increasing the power output I can get wireless in the garage)
Got any good links to those? ;)

I checked my firmware and it is 1.42.2. I don't recall which revision of the WRT54G I have, but that's the one I have been using, and with WEP disabled, it worked.

Phil said:
fallguy said:

Hmm, I suppose there's no way to ping another client within your network from your PSP? Because at the moment, I'm not entirely sure it's a hardware related problem (that could be solved by firmware updates etc) or just a config problem.

Is there anyway to make sure that the PSP is indeed connected to your wireless network?

Some of the most basic problems with normal computers and WiFi (that I have experienced) is that the client is often connected to the network (and therefore can ping other clients within that network) but can't use internet etc (sometimes due to incorrect Gateway and DNS settings that are unique to the ISPs).

fallguy, what are the network settings (that work) on your daughters PC?
IP (static 192.168.x.y or DHCP enabled)?
Subnet Mask (C-Class Network, i.e: 255.255.255.0)?
Default Gateway (only if DHCP disabled, then the gateway should be the IP of your Router, i.e. 192.168.0.1)

DNS settings aren't really important, unless you're trying to access the internet from the client.

If the settings on your PSP are equal to those on the client that works, then it should at least be able to establish a connection to the network...

(PS: Excuse the tech talk - I don't have a PSP, so it's quite difficult to think of any possible solutions to test what works and what doesn't...)

IP: 192.168.1.101
DHCP enabled
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

The guide I have been trying to follow, is this one; http://pspcrazy.com/pspwipeoutbrowsertutorial.htm

It seems some people have to do that, when some people just set it to auto. I dont know why its like that. I think I got it setup right, according to his directions,but its not working still.

Im about to go get my girl from school, and a pal lives right down the street. He has the same router as I do, so Im going to pull in his driveway, and try it really fast. I dont know if he has WEP enabled or not, hes even more clueless than I am, so its probably not, unless its the default setting.

worm[Futuremark said:
]
The Baron said:
Got any good links to those? ;)

I checked my firmware and it is 1.42.2. I don't recall which revision of the WRT54G I have, but that's the one I have been using, and with WEP disabled, it worked.
http://www.wrt54g.com/

I think I'm running some public version of the Sveasoft firmware called Satori from sometime 2004. Aprilish?

I would just reset the router first. This will make sure that all settings are back to default. With that router, WEP will be disabled unless you go into the firmware and manually change it. DHCP should be on by default as well, once you reset it of course.

Ive cut off the power for several mins, and then held in the reset button after plugging power back in. Still nothing. :/

The Baron said:
http://www.wrt54g.com/

I think I'm running some public version of the Sveasoft firmware called Satori from sometime 2004. Aprilish?
Thanks mate! I think I'll give the Sveasoft a shot in case it would enable me to use my PSP with WEP enabled. :)

*edit: I just noticed that Linksys' official firmware is up to version 3.03.6. :? And my router is 1.42.2.. Maybe I should try that one first! ;)

Back