PSN weekly updates

They truly need to replace their infrastructure with something modern so they won't need to have these wide-spread outages.

BRiT said:
They truly need to replace their infrastructure with something modern so they won't need to have these wide-spread outages.

They normally don't, this is a pretty rare case. Wonder what they are up to.

Sounds like some sort of server upgrade if they are taking down websites too.

To be honest I would rather them tinker with everything once a month than risk having everything hacked again.

Sounds like some sort of server upgrade if they are taking down websites too.

To be honest I would rather them tinker with everything once a month than risk having everything hacked again.

They don't have to take down the network if it's just web server or app upgrade.

Regular database maintenance should be doable without taking down the network too.

Should be pretty extensive changes and testing. XBL was taken down for major maintenance once in a while too.

I was more thinking along the lines of all the servers being updated.

Yeah, there are relatively mature technologies for updating all the web/app servers without messing with the users.

Game servers may be more tricky.

Something new for GDC sounds right.

Europe is finally getting Trine 2 this week and it is free for PSPlus, and 30% discount for everyone else. Plus also gets the first Sly HD for free.

Nice. I was sceptical at first, but between cloud saves, discounts, early access stuff (Journey on Wednesday - Yeah!) and the odd freebie here and there, that PS+ membership has been more than worth it so far.

when I get the PS+ membership for 90 days (costs whooping 15 Euros) and get Plus exclusive stuff for free like Trine 2...can I still access it when my PSn+ is over?

when I get the PS+ membership for 90 days (costs whooping 15 Euros) and get Plus exclusive stuff for free like Trine 2...can I still access it when my PSn+ is over?

Nope. Games you get for free as part of PS+ are only available while you are a PS+ member. Games that you purchase with a PS+ discount on the other hand are yours forever.

I buy PS cards on the cheap (shop around for a deal) then get (or top up) PS+ when a deal is on (15mths for price of 12) - so I'm forever topping mine up when one of these deals comes up.

Think I have around 18mths/2 years stored up lol but because I also get the cards cheap it means I usually get around 20-30% off the price too...so that combined with the15 for 12 deal = almost half price PS+ :)

The thing I like is that I will try games I never thought of getting and finding the odd gem. It's like icing on a very nice cake for me.

Nice. I was sceptical at first, but between cloud saves, discounts, early access stuff (Journey on Wednesday - Yeah!) and the odd freebie here and there, that PS+ membership has been more than worth it so far.

I agree ! They have come a long way since the initial Qore subscription model.

My top requests are:

1) Improve cloud sync/save. Make it work for all the registered SEN devices.

2) Bring benefits to Vita into the mix. On a related note, I noticed that Vita has a different infrastructure. e.g., If I sign-in to Vita after PS3, the count of friends online on my PS3 (top right corner) will change. It seems to show the number of friends on a Vita instead of for the entire PSN. 8^( I saw 10 people online in my friends list but only a count of 2 in the top right summary pane.

Other than that, it's great to be able to sign-in to the same account on both the PS3 and Vita. ^_^

3) Relax the transaction policies after tightening up the platform security. Vita has proprietary memory card and online tracking for file transfer in/out of Vita. A secure platform should allow us to use "our" content more freely since it knows we are not pirates. Not to mention Sony gains from higher capacity memory cards. e.g., "Unlimited" song downloads to Vita is a step in the right direction. "Free" Blu-ray/DVD movie conversion to DD movies is another good one.

Another weird indie title ~

Closure Q&A: In a Black-and-White World, Shades of Grey
https://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/03/16/closure-qa-in-a-black-and-white-world-shades-of-grey/

Enter Closure, the grand-prize winner of the DICE 2012 Indie Game Challenge and the climactic final release in this year’s Spring Fever PSN showcase.

PSB: Where did the idea for Closure come from?

TG: Portal and Braid were my main influences. They’re completely different games, but they follow a similar formula: the developers found one interesting core mechanic and built as many puzzles as they could around it. You don’t want to strip away everything else, but as a designer I wanted to make sure we were heavily focused on our core mechanic: the lighting. We did everything we could to add to that.

(Video in the link)

There's a lenghty Closure quicklook up on Giantbomb.com. I really like the concept, the visuals and the music, but it looks like a game that will more than likely frustrate the hell out of me. How much is it?

Back