[PSN/Live] From Dust

Shifty Geezer

uber-Troll!
Legend
Just seen this in an EDGE article. It's described as a spiritual successor to Populous, but it hasn't got the objectives from the sounds of it. It's more about just your people surviving in its current state. What's impressive is the realtime environmental evolution, that these worlds are built according to natural principals and a little bit of interference by the player. The YouTube trailer shows these forces in action and the results, and it looks impressive.

Without a 'proper' game structure, with no particular goals or real sense of success, I was feeling cautious, but if it's lower priced download title, I think it'll be worth it as an experience. It's also a definite candidate for Move support. I hope they expand the game aspect though, and add challenges, rather than just being an open sandbox to tweak with (though keep that as a mode for people wanting something more chilled).

From Dust

Fascinating god game, From Dust:
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/17/how-project-dusts-world-building-world-was-built/

Chahi and programmer Ronan Bel talked about the difficult, two-year iterative process of creating a dynamic world simulation that continues to change even when you're not looking at it. "At first, I thought only part of the world could be dynamic. For instance, a river would only be processed where it's running," Chahi said. But Bel outlined how a series of optimizations allow the complex interactions of rock, sand, vegetation, water and lava to operate at a consistent 30 frames per second on the Xbox 360, PS3 and PC. "Today, computers excel in brute-force computation, so it's better to compute the whole world – no matter what is happening, the frame rate remains the same. This is very important," Chahi said.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/18/how-from-dust-turns-manipulating-nature-into-a-game/
(video inside)

We already know quite a bit about how From Dust (née Project Dust) uses a few layers of basic elements to create a highly realistic and malleable virtual world. What's been less clear was how Eric Chahi and his team were going to make an actual game out of this lava-filled sandbox. Until today, that is, when Chahi and producer Guillaume Bunier presented the first details of From Dust's gameplay in a Gamescom demonstration.

Everyone has to watch that second vid! This is next-gen tech! Took 5 years to get there, but now we have consoles doing something new and impressive. :mrgreen:

It's certainly interesting, though I'm slightly worried they may not stand behind the game fully themselves if they only release it on PSN/XBLA?

That said, I'm very likely to try it out. ;) And of course still think it's a shame that Move support won't be in, though I can certainly understand it - the worked hard combining the limitations of the DS3 with the limitations of the engine to create a convincing 'real-time' interaction with the world. Different, faster controls would mess that up considerably.

Yes, it should be ported to PS Move, instead of using traditional pad.

I think a direct manipulation pointer works better than the relative motion controller here.

What do you mean by repetitive ? The gameplay, objective or art ? I kinda like what I saw above. Wouldn't mind supporting the game if they are just some "first time doing it" flaws.

I downloaded the trial, it's pretty cool, I like resurfacing the terrain and trying to change the layout of the rivers on the map. Does the game simulate erosion?

The only problem is that it keeps crashing after the second map during the part where your tribe walks through the caves leading to the new map. Anyone else having that issue? I'd buy the game if not for that.

Back