PS5 Pro *spawn

GTA 6 trailer is 1440p 30 fps but with RT on base PS5.
So if they had a 1440p 60 fps mode then it could be upscaled to 4k 60. Because I dont think the game is going to be 1440p 30 fps on base. Its most likely going to be 4K 30 fps. Because your point assumes the base game is going to be 1440p 30 fps, unless I'm missing something. Genuinely asking.

The upscaling algorithm itself has a performance cost, which varies between algorithms and the hardware they run on.

Thankfully on the PS5 pro there's hw acceleration for this on shared unified memory so lower latency. I think the pro version of GTA 6 will either be a 4K 30 fps RT or 4K 60 without RT.

So if they had a 1440p 60 fps mode then it could be upscaled to 4k 60. Because I dont think the game is going to be 1440p 30 fps on base. Its most likely going to be 4K 30 fps. Because your point assumes the base game is going to be 1440p 30 fps, unless I'm missing something. Genuinely asking.

Thankfully on the PS5 pro there's hw acceleration for this on shared unified memory so lower latency. I think the pro version of GTA 6 will either be a 4K 30 fps RT or 4K 60 without RT.

The trailer is 1440p 30fps with RTGI and partial RT Reflections. They can't do 4k 30 fps with RT GI and partial RT Reflections on PS5 or XSX. If the final version is the same this is very good and much better than most game.

The trailer is 1440p 30fps with RTGI and partial RT Reflections. They can't do 4k 30 fps with RT GI and partial RT Reflections on PS5 or XSX. If the final version is the same this is very good and much better than most game.
You're sure they dont have a mode thats 4K 30 using baked lighting instead of Real Time RT and the game is going to be only 1440p 30 fps on base?

I'd expect half the advantage of RTGI is not having to bake and reiterate the lighting, in turn streamlining development. Wouldn't be surprised if GTAVI is built from the ground up with it, using RTGI-only across the board with no fallback. Relative to the PS5 & XSX; perhaps XSS could have reduced sampling while PS5 Pro either has more sampling or adds on more RT effects.

Thankfully on the PS5 pro there's hw acceleration for this on shared unified memory so lower latency.

Both DLSS and XeSS are hardware accelerated too but there is still a cost associated with their use.

And I'm not sure what unified memory has to do with it. Upscaling is purely a GPU operation. It's not like there's any dependency on cross PCIe communication for it. In fact if anything the unified memory is a disadvantage here since it means less bandwidth available to the GPU due to memory contention.

Both DLSS and XeSS are hardware accelerated too but there is still a cost associated with their use.

And I'm not sure what unified memory has to do with it. Upscaling is purely a GPU operation. It's not like there's any dependency on cross PCIe communication for it. In fact if anything the unified memory is a disadvantage here since it means less bandwidth available to the GPU due to memory contention.
You're right, I was quite sleepy when I replied, thanks for the correction.

Testing on the 4080 Super revealed that DLSS is slightly faster than FSR in many games, the difference amounts to 3% to 10% depending on the upscaling mode and the game. So they are definitely not the same performance.

PSSR on PS5 Pro could achieve similar results, being slightly faster than FSR, while also boosting image quality. It can also used to free more fps by upscaling from a lower resolution than FSR. DLSS Performance often looks comparable to FSR Quality in many many implementations, PSSR could upscale from 1080p or 1200p and achieve the same quality as FSR that upscales from 1440p, but with the added benefit of more fps.

Last edited:
Pssr is 2ms and lets assume worst case scenario pure raster perf no ray tracing is used and ps5 is rendering 1080p without any reprojection, pssr vs native math looks like this:
60 fps game, so budget of the frame is 16.6ms
ps5pro is 45%faster so doing 87fps so doing 1 frame in 11.5ms, if we stay with 60fps have additional 5.1ms render budget, -2ms for pss5 and we still have 3.1ms for additional graphics improvement (much more if ps5 game is using fssr2 from 1080p and use some ray tracing)

Last edited:
We can also blame the proliferation of TAA for that.

We can also thank TAA (including ML upscaling variants) for reduction of shader and transparency aliasing. Our memories of crisp and clean MSAA graphics are from a time before per-pixel shading was common and even then alpha tested stuff was a problem. I could never understand how folks would rather live with noisy aliased images than accept a little softness from TAA but that’s subjective. It’s not subjective though to claim those aliased images represent “good IQ”.

PSSR must be hardware accelerated right? Otherwise it would be an option on the standard PS5.

something that puzzles me about the PS5 Pro and its only apparent flaw is that they didn't increase the amount of RAM (16GB) compared to base PS5.

How are they going to fit more complex RT effects and higher resolutions when the system RAM is the same? I expect bottlenecks and fps drops.

something that puzzles me about the PS5 Pro and its only apparent flaw is that they didn't increase the amount of RAM (16GB) compared to base PS5.

How are they going to fit more complex RT effects and higher resolutions when the system RAM is the same? I expect bottlenecks and fps drops.
It's an interesting conundrum, just like many of the RTX 40 cards having the same or even less VRAM than their predecessors despite some of the RTX 40 series' best selling points - even more RT, DLSS 3, and non-gaming AI workloads - increasing VRAM requirements.

DF reported month ago that ps5pro has 13.7gb of ram available for games vs 12.5 on ps5

Back