PS5 Pro *spawn

Straight from an ex playstation game developer and now an AMD hardware dev.

Was there any doubt that they would need dedicated ML hardware to reach 8 bits 300 TOPs? It's "PS5 has no hardware RT narrative" all over again. And those narratives are never uttered on any others manufacturers (when they should actually). And I don't blame you BTW.

With how Marc Cerny, usually overpromising/overseling tech and speed of adoption of it, has sold RT here the only thing this annoncement has done is lowering my expectation from rdna4
Sources?
I think XDNA is a fairly reasonable piece of kit to support AI. It's not as silicon or power heavy as tensor cores found in deep learning GPUs. XDNA has been out for a few generations, and for semi-custom solutions, this seems like the right fit here.

I can't math out 300TOPs of int8 using 60 CUs, it's just too large a number.
Could use sparse 2x shenanigans to reach that number. That number has probably been rounded up by the way.
No.
Even if they hit the mark with the hardware, and had an amazing presentation. The only thing that could sink 5Pro would be the price, and I just feel that this price is just way too high for it to be successful.
Yes it's too high for me too. In Europe they have gone crazy and don't want people to buy this. This could be like PS4 Pro just an experiment to make developers get used to new techs (here PSSR and more RT), to prepare them for PS6.
this thread has turned into about windows bug where sometimes it fails to hide the mouse cursor, and how LG OLED screens dies from its outer edges?
Indeed. Don't get me started on Windows. When I use basic functions of windows I realize they are not improving simple stuff since years, decade. I am still fighting to accomplish things that should be simple. What an awful OS, only there because of a monopoly. Actually it reminds me of PS5 OS that got worse vs PS4. But why would they improve it?

Last edited:
Having had time to catch up and check those prices, UK is insane! They think we's made o' money?!?!

USD prices aligned

NA: $700 => $840 (+20% tax)
EU: €800 => $883
UK: £700 => $916
JP: 120,000Y => $848

The past decade or two, prices for goods in the UK has generally balanced out at equivalent to international prices, but this is like Sony prices from the 80s with 'UK tax' charging us a random premium.

Last edited:
The competitive price was 700€/600$ with a disc drive and 50€/$ less without it, probably selling it a near cost. They are getting at least 100€ in profit from this, which is probably unprecedented on the console space.

What this could paint is a near future where we have a base console that is sold at production costs, while the pro model is sold at a profit.
Unlikely they were going to match the XSX 2 TB variant price for a disc edition I think, digital maybe. I wouldn't say unprecedented, the previous gen consoles probably had a good profit margin during the mid point of their launch. The cost of components was significantly less, not to mention inflation.

What are the chances AMD are sick of being ridden hard and put away wet in regards to the margin on their console socs and this is where some of the increased cost has come from?

Possible, AMD was in a much worse financial position when they signed the contracts for the base versions and didn't have as much leverage. Now they do, and likely will carry on to the future gen as well.

We've not talked power consumption yet, a 7800XT pulls 250-275watts by itself according to Guru3D

Could we be looking at 300-350w for a console?

Unlikely, this probably has RDNA 3.5 which has fixed some of the power/clock issues of RDNA 3 and is also likely clocked a little lower as well. Probably also has the benefit of a slightly newer node (Assuming N4P). Given they're using the same slim chassis, power has probably remained the same.

Also...chicken and egg...only games enhanced for PS5 Pro will benefit from it, but at this price with so few units going to move, which devs are going to bother?

Also...chicken and egg...only games enhanced for PS5 Pro will benefit from it, but at this price with so few units going to move, which devs are going to bother?
According to steam survey, less than 2 or 3% of all gaming PCs actually a high end GPU.

Yet, developers offer options to utilize those GPUs, even if most options are brute force and according to digital foundry often barely offer any visual upgrade while costing 3 or 4 fps for each step up, if they can utilize a 4090 then why should they not do the same for a rare PS5 pro user as well?

In some way they will have to as all games released after september will have to support ps5pro. I would be very happy if sony would do same with psvr2 ;d

Even if I don't believe that it will happen, and I believe there will be lower cost options, let's imagine that PS6 follows the PS5 PRO model and it launches at 699$/799€ as the only model.

That's death of the consoles speedrun any%. And that's now a little possibility for the future.
What if there was a competitor to Playstation that would launch with a value option that would run all of the Gen10 games but at reduced fidelity.
Sony definitely will want to re-use their 350w PSU.
I do think it's worth noting that Sony has a history of re-engineering parts that would probably be fine to re-use. The PS4 slim has 2 or 3 different power supplies, for example, with roughly (maybe exactly) the same power output but small differences in the placement of connectors. I think there are 5 or more different micro USB ports for DualShock 4 controllers. Well, the ports are the same, but they are mounted on small boards that are connected to the main board with a ribbon cable. Some of these electronically compatible, but the ribbon cable connects to the opposite side or is mounted at a slightly different angle. There's a pretty good chance that if Pro has power requirements that would be served by the Slim power supply, that they will be different anyway.
And RT audio. Indeed, after the whole of Tempest, PS5 hasn't really results in people talking about the amazing audio experience.
Audio was supposed to be a big thing for PS5, but the only game I can think of this generation that was reviewers mentioned the audio universally was Hellblade 2, an Xbox exclusive that used the same audio techniques that the first game in the series did and required no special hardware other than stereo headphones.

Last edited:
What if there was a competitor to Playstation that would launch with a value option that would run all of the Gen10 games but at reduced fidelity.
If the market leader will not launch a lower priced console, that would be a pretty huge deal. Consoles got to have a big installed base for the business model to be sustainable. I don't think Microsoft even wants to subdidise consoles anymore, so I wouldn't count on it. Nintendo would be the last bastion in this apocalyptic scenario where two major players decide that they don't need the stinky poor people anymore.

Back