PS5 Pro *spawn

Just don't expect miracles for the first games that probably won't use the brand new RDNA4 units. I expect the first games to simply slightly increase DRS resolution, like in No Man's Sky (which sadly still uses FSR2 in their Pro patch). The second batch of games will likely get more exclusive features starting with PSSR.
Agreed. It'll be interesting to see if games/engines which are DLSS2/3 compatible on the PC will be able to, for want of a term, "plug in" PSSR.

we'll have to wait for offcial specs and DF comparisons of games to actually know how the Pro is "Pro-ing" games.
Pretty easy to guess, watch the 30fps modes become 60fps for GoW Ragnarok/Forbidden West/Demon Souls/etc. It'd be interesting to see if PSSR is integrated first party to get to "120fps"

A few games, Frontiers of Pandora/SW Outlaws/Alan Wake II will probably get RT settings patches. Devs don't really need to do much that much to "take advantage" here.

If these RDNA4 changes pan out and the RT performance of PS5 Pro is 6800XT++ with them, I wish Sony to go for path-traced updates to their classic PS1-PS2 games. It'll be interesting how they'd then perform on desktop cards.

You might want to look at how the 7900XTX handles path tracing before wishing for that.

Even on PS1 tier assets?

The lower assets quality and simpler detail level could mean they could use a lower internal resolution and still get decent upscaling results (Ultra performance FSR2 looked more than acceptable in Quake RTX due to the simple geometric edges and lack of fine detail)

But ultimately, path tracing is still path tracing, and AMD's kryptonite.

I also personally think that PSOne games aren't suitable for path tracing as the visuals just won't do it justice, and path traced games that use pre-rendered backgrounds is a no go which rules out a lot of PSOne's best games, PS2 level is the base level I would drop down too.

You might want to look at how the 7900XTX handles path tracing before wishing for that.

I used 6800XT on the path tracing mods for Serious Sam and Doom, and it performed similarly, relative to 4090, as in the games with ray-traced GI like Cyberpunk's Psycho setting or Dying LIght 2.

The path-tracing updates to Portal/Cyberpunk otoh were just downright bad at hardware utilization for non-nvidia cards, 6800XT getting 1fps on the former. Intel are in the same boat, Arc770 is faster than 3060 but drops to less than half of 3060's performance changing RT -> PT in Cyberpunk.

I used 6800XT on the path tracing mods for Serious Sam and Doom, and it performed similarly, relative to 4090, as in the games with ray-traced GI like Cyberpunk's Psycho setting or Dying LIght 2.

The path-tracing updates to Portal/Cyberpunk otoh were just downright bad at hardware utilization for non-nvidia cards, 6800XT getting 1fps on the former. Intel are in the same boat, Arc770 is faster than 3060 but drops to less than half of 3060's performance changing RT -> PT in Cyberpunk.

I used a 7900XTX with path tracing and it struggled with even Half Life path traced.

And PS5 Pro will be quite a bit slower than a 7900XTX at ray tracing.

Last edited:
I used a 7900XTX with path tracing and it struggled with even Half Life path traced.

And PS5 Pro will be quite a bit slower than a 7900XTX at ray tracing.

We will see. From credible insiders, RDNA4 is just the current core with improved ray tracing. And that improved RT (whatever that is) is what's being bolted onto the PS Pro. In general though, you're right, I'm expecting around 7800xt levels of RT perf as a best case for PS Pro

When the next consoles have 4K 120 on the box and not every game runs at that resolution :eek:

As has been the case for forever, supporting a resolution is not a promise that actual games will run at that resolution.

Can't wait for people complaining that games don't run at 8K on ps6 🤯

don't we already have a 8K/60fps game on PS5 ? (the touryst)
Yes, but that's not the point. The problem is people taking statements like "support for 4k 60-120" in the wrong way. Games will always balance resolution-framerate-graphics in different ways, so criticizing platform holders when games go under the max HDMI spec is nonsense. Unless we want to force developers for no reason.

I wish people were instead suing the hell out of Sony for the still missing 8k support. That is something that should be punished, even if I don't care about 8k.

it's just a humoristic image.
And you know times change, last gen we had a lot of PC crowd claiming "native res or bust" when console gamess tarted using upscaling techniques, and now that they got DLSS which does an awesome job, and even with framegen now, those native res claims have disappeared.

I can’t think of a notable game that doesn’t run at 60 fps at least on the current gen consoles.

Most impressive looking console game so far - Hellblade 2 - is 30 fps only. Smash hit Starfield only launched with a 30 fps mode, though a 60 fps mode was added later (though it can drop as low as 40fps in heavy parts of cities).

Has been a pretty good generation for 60 fps titles so far though. Probably the best since we had sprite based systems.

Back