PS4 Pro vs PS4 Graphical Comparison Thread

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by DieH@rd, Nov 4, 2016.

1. sebbbi

Veteran

Rainbow Six already used it (1080p + 60 fps). Killzone Shadow Fall used similar (but simpler) technique in multiplayer mode (1080p + 60 fps).

Checkboard works better in 60 fps games as reprojection errors are halved. 4K makes pixels 4x smaller also reducing errors of this technique. Seems that it works pretty well @ 30 fps as well (at 4K). Most likely 1080p @ 30 fps would show more errors.

London-boy, Heinrich4, novcze and 2 others like this.
  2. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular Subscriber

Guerilla with Horizon is the new gem studio of Sony IMO to promote their Pro.

The future on Pro belongs to Guerilla (impeccable 4K checkerboard + 30fps with good clarity in motion so rare among the Sony first party games) and Dice (dynamic res + 60fps + realism).

3. Clukos

Clukos Bloodborne 2 when?
    Veteran Newcomer

I'd probably put Insomniac above Guerrilla atm in terms of pure IQ on the Pro. The technique used on R&C and the next Spiderman game is pretty damn good.

Heinrich4 likes this.
  4. Recop

Veteran Newcomer

It's the same technique used in Killzone ? So, it's native 4K then ?

I mean, there wasn't any upscale in Killzone.

5. HTupolev

Regular

It's semantics. Rather than fight over whether something can be called "native 4K" (which by some definitions it can, and by others it cannot), we should really just say what's happening.

Also, KZSF does seem to have spatial upscale, it appears to be the fallback when temporal reconstruction fails.

Recop likes this.
  6. Recop

Veteran Newcomer

Ok, thanks.

7. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

Cerny has said that Naughty Dog is working more on Pro support. I presume they will cook something else for the release of their upcoming singleplayer DLC.

ultragpu likes this.
  8. djskribbles

Legend Veteran

I'm pretty impressed with Pro, much more so in the past week or so than I was initially. And I think things will only get better in time when more developers start to use checkerboarding/temp. reconstruction rather than simply rendering at a higher resolution and using standard upscaling. Seems like developers didn't have much of a heads-up and didn't have much time to fully utilize the Pro's extra power. Respawn flat-out said they didn't have much of a heads-up.

Super-sampling provides better results than I was expecting, especially in RoTR. Framerates in high framerate mode on Infamous and RoTR are also better than I thought.

I think Sony did a very good job of putting together a $400 box here that can definitely punch above its weight.

9. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

So nice!
    Code:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=347&v=KRj3liwPqGI

10. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

The difference looked pretty obvious to me. That's not me putting the PS4P down - some other game comparisons have been indistinguishable from native 4K on the PC IMO. However in the case of TR the difference is obvious from that video.

11. el etro

Newcomer

Made at GF or at TSMC?

12. rockaman

Regular

13. I.S.T.

Veteran

Is that game using a film grain filter? Itl ooks kinda grainy...

14. Voxilla

Regular

In near vertical or horizontal high contrast lines the checkboard pattern is clearly visible.
    Like in the second picture, the stripes above the white wheel.

rockaman and RootKit like this.
  15. sebbbi

Veteran

Results would be absolutely horrible if you hadn't a fallback for reprojection failure. Every frame has failure areas (new revealed surface areas). This is where checkerboard beats scanline interlacing. Missing pixels have full set of neighbors in every direction (+-X, +-Y), while in scanline interlacing you only have neighbors in Y direction. In failure areas you get quality similar to 2x 1080p (= slightly above 2560x1440). It is worth noting that every surface pixel that failed reprojection is guaranteed not to fail reprojection next frame (if it is still visible). This means that you see 2560x1440 equivalent detail only for a single frame. This issue is only visible in new surface areas. Your eye & brain needs some time to focus and understand new data, thus at 60 fps it is almost impossible to see this issue. I don't know about 30 fps, since our games have always been 60 fps.

Heinrich4, BRiT and dogen like this.
  16. DavidGraham

Veteran

What is Sony thinking downclocking both the CPU and GPU when running an old code on the PS4 Pro? I can understand deactivating additional processing units (like the Polaris ALUs), as these might cause some compatibility issues, but downclocking the units as well? why, what possible reason could be behind a move like this?

RootKit likes this.
  17. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular Subscriber

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...tation-4-pro-how-sony-made-a-4k-games-machine

About 1527p (2716x1527)

#57 Globalisateur, Nov 8, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
    DSoup and BRiT like this.
  18. DavidGraham

Veteran

Playing it safe doesn't explain it unfortunately, as mentioned in the article, XO Slim already does this! Any OC'ed PC can do this! Sony doesn't need to offer higher than 30 fps in these old titles on the Pro, just use the extra clocks to smooth those 30fps and maintain a higher minimum frames than the standard PS4!

RootKit likes this.
  19. Recop

Veteran Newcomer

But the hardware difference is much smaller with the XBS.

PS4 pro =

- +31% for the CPU (clock speed)
    - +14% for the GPU (clock speed)
    - +24% for the bandwidth

#59 Recop, Nov 8, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  20. ultragpu

Legend Veteran

The only small amount of differences I could make out is the spider web in the cave and Lara's clothing all seemed sharper. I think checkerboarding can't resolve small alpha coverage details as well as native 4k can, but then again PC Ultra by default has slightly higher res textures to begin with which also helps. But overall the two look astonishingly similar.