PS4 Pro vs PS4 Graphical Comparison Thread

The gafer posted some UC4 screenshots, and i took a screenshot in almost the exact same spot. Unfortunately UC4 seems to be one of the least impressive Pro ports. And brightness/contrast is again messed up (maybe the HDR setting).

Ps4 Pro: https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5565/30152973593_147bd040af_o.png
Ps4: https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5478/30700202681_f2c5eab4d8_o.png

Seems like ND half-assed the pro version of UC4 :nope:

Is U4 already patched to support PS4 Pro or is this only "upscale anything to 4k" feature?

Sucker Punch dev has just revealed on PSBlog that Second Son and First Light games will default to "Higher Resolution" mode on the Pro, but users can go to settings and activate "Better Frame Rate" option. :)
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/11/04/infamous-second-son-first-light-showcase-power-of-ps4-pro/

I really hope that CPU and GPU boost in the Pro will enable good 1080p60 experience. BTW, would that make them first PS4 open world games set in urban environment that run at 1080p60 [I'm not counting dessolate MGSV]?

PC true 4K version looks quite a lot better there. At least in the first comparison. Or am I missing something?

About GAF shots, who knows what settings they were on etc. I'd wait for DF for more standardized comparisons.

PC true 4K version looks quite a lot better there. At least in the first comparison. Or am I missing something?

About GAF shots, who knows what settings they were on etc. I'd wait for DF for more standardized comparisons.

Most of us aren't used to seeing high resolution down scaled in motion, so it's understandable until we get our bearings on this one.

I'd also like to wait for DF comparisons. They're keen on pointing out things I can't see, which is especially relevant in this case since I have no clue what to look for in down samples images.

Huh? You and I must be looking at different shots. Neither look 'quite a bit better' than the other to me. The author of the article, Clukos and I agree. Aliasing is actually worse on PC since they turned AA off.

The shots at GAF are apparently of the game running in 4K mode on PS4P, then manually downscaled to 1080p. So yeah, not a 100% fair comparison because the downscaling wasn't done by the PS4P. But my guess is the manual downscaling is a good enough demonstration of how 1080p mode will look. And it looks considerably better than vanilla PS4 and holds its own against PC doing the same downscaling from even native 4K.

But yeah I agree, wait for DF to do a proper comparison.

I criticized the annoying grain already in the normal version of Uncharted 4. I am sitting ca. 2.3 meters away from a 65 inch device. In higher game resolutions grain becomes even more obvious. From the sharpness The Order 1886 looked for me like sub 900p. Which also would not benefit much from a higher resolution.

In addition, Uncharted 4 urgently needs more tessellation and POM. Especially for a gamer who is spoiled a lot by the latest DICE multiplayer games. These flat surfaces in Uncharted 4 are not nice to look at.

EDIT:

You're assuming it just happens to drop to the absolute lowest the PS4 is capable of dropping to in that scene? It doesn't look particularly taxing to me, at least compared to how the game can really get chaotic at times. DF says the PS4 version spends most of its time at around 1000p, but I would agree that the standard PS4 shot does look like it's sub-1000p.

The game in itself is not what I would consider stunning. Judging by screens people have posted at GAF of the PC version running at max with TSAA and resolutions >1080p, it definitely looks like the PS4P is running higher than 1080p.

It is definitely less than 1080p. DF has the comparison sreenshot: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-titanfall-2-face-off

When PC benchmarkes are considered then you would get a aittle above 60fps with a GPU similar to the PlayStation 4 in the maximal settings.

Attachments

• T2_PC.jpg
    T2_PC.jpg
    727.6 KB · Views: 24
  • T2_PS4.jpg
    T2_PS4.jpg
    591.2 KB · Views: 24
  • T2_XBO.jpg
    T2_XBO.jpg
    564.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
From neogaf:
ps4vsproq5um6.png

They compared ps4 on the left, pro on the right. Really nice bump in clarity. And we finally have a screenshot for skyrim running in 1080p mode on the pro:
pro1080psupersampleocjzt.png

Not the greatest showcase. Richard from DF said that this was one of the games he wasn't impressed with it. Probably because of that nasty sharpening filter that can't be turned off on this game.

When PC benchmarkes are considered then you would get a aittle above 60fps with a GPU similar to the PlayStation 4 in the maximal settings.

You can't really know because the PS4 version uses a dynamic resolution...

At the end of this video, the game runs at 720p, not even at particular high settings, and still get many framerate drops in the most intensive moments :

Based on the most recent face-off, you need at least a GTX950 to match PS4 performances (Doom, Deus ex).

But indeed, it would be interesting to see what kind of PC do you need to match the PS4 pro performances.

Let's wait for more information from DF.

Last edited:
I think the game usually runs between 1080p and something like 1440p on the PlayStation 4 Pro.

As far as I have read dynamic resolution will come to the PC version as an Option in the next patch. For example, the game runs much worse than Battlefield 1. Therefore a dynamic resolution option could help especially for older systems.

Both XB1 and Ps4 don't use tessellation in RotTR but it is a feature for select geometry on PC. I guess they just turned that on.

Not using any tessellation at all would be a mistake AFAIK, even for the PC version. Maybe it just uses higher levels on some select geometry.

Very stable (almost no dynamic res) 1440p for Titanfall 2 which is an impressive improvement from ~720p-1000p.

Apparently the 60fps mode of Infamous and Tomb Raider are great. 50-60fps in first level of Infamous FL.

We see a glimpse of tomb Raider with a promising 60fps with a few dips. Can't wait to see those videos and play Tomb raider at 60fps. With the patched input lag at 30fps, the game will be very responsive at 60fps! Can't wait ! It's Tomb raider DE all over again!

The checkerboarding in TR really looks great even from a compressed YT feed, I can hardly distinguish it from 4k native except some slightly sharper textures on the PC. I'd say they're over 95% the same from pure eyeballing. Still no info on BF1?

The checkerboarding in TR really looks great even from a compressed YT feed, I can hardly distinguish it from 4k native except some slightly sharper textures on the PC. I'd say they're over 95% the same from pure eyeballing. Still no info on BF1?
It's a good technique. 4K checkerboard costs around twice as much as 1080p (the most common PS4 resolution). 4K checkerboard suits PS4 Pro perfectly as Pro has around twice as much GPU performance as PS4. Easy way to port your 1080p game to 4K.

I just wish more games would start to use it, really bummed that UC4 doesn't use it, just plain old 1440p upscaling to 4k. Horizon ZD is also another great example of it, the textures appeared so much sharper as a result.

The problem with checker-boarding is that it's almost too good. Devs are probably asking themselves why not use it to reach 1080p on vanilla ps4 with half the samples to shade. At this point, the difference from actual native 4k (with uncompressed pixels) to what pro will be able to output will be more discernable.

Back