PS4 controller question.

OK touchpad, I can see that but why doesnt xb1 controller have a gyro, its not obscure tech, its even in toothbrushes!

Why would you need Gyros or Touchpad when you have Kinect with full skeletal tracking? Remember, when this gen started Kinect was guaranteed to be on every console.

Sure I suppose you could approximate a version of it with kinect but that has 2 downsides
1. more latency
2. less accurate
So it would be an inferior experience.
I just had a look on chinese hardware supplier website, a gyroscope can be brought for a few cents. Adding a gyroscope to a controller should of been a nobrainer

OK touchpad, I can see that but why doesnt xb1 controller have a gyro, its not obscure tech, its even in toothbrushes!
What games use the Gyro? It was an awkward gimmick on PS3 when implemented and AFAIK it's basically abandoned on PS4. You'd only miss out on a handful of games.

What games use the Gyro? It was an awkward gimmick on PS3 when implemented and AFAIK it's basically abandoned on PS4. You'd only miss out on a handful of games.

A few shooters, the specific titles escape me right now, used it subtlety like adjusting your aim using a sniper rifle. I think Arwin was a proponent of gyro control for Drive Club. And Until Dawn had that mechanic where you had to keep really still or the Wendigos would detect you. Other than that?... *tumbleweed*.

If you have a PSVR then you're screwed without gyros in your controller. :yep2:

Tearaway had the MOST amazing and innovative use of the DS4 gyros. It put Nintendo to shame

For those of us unawares, their implementation is/was?

If thats the case then the OP's question is answered

you can use the xbox one controller on an ps4 and visa versa

Yeah, in one of the most recent implementations I've seen, Detroit, I haven't found a single person that actually liked having to lift their controller up to open windows despite most of them liking the game. Everyone I've talked to or seen comment on the game has either hated it, or felt it was an unnecessary annoyance. Granted, I haven't gone into the Detroit thread here, so maybe someone on this board actually liked the implementation in that game.

Hence, I'm not worried about not having Gyro support.

Something else, interesting to note is that it was a conscious decision by MS not to include motion sensors in their controllers. They had put a controller (Freestyle Pro) on the market with motion sensors way back in 1998 and even made some games with support for it. Motocross Madness made good use of it to pull off stunts in the air. So they were certainly experienced with it and could have easily included support in any of their consoles if they felt it worthwhile.

However, the problem was convincing 3rd parties to support it. And not just support it, but put in good implementations that people would want to use. PlayStation shows that having motion sensors in every controller sold with the console still doesn't mean the feature will be implemented as it's difficult to find ways to use it that players will actually enjoy.

Regards,
SB

Back