PS4 controller question.

I've never understood the preference for asymmetrical stick placement, especially in FPS's where I would've thought symmetry would be better.

For me I don't play FPS games with console controller anymore. The last one was Halo 4. If it can't be played with KB/M, I don't bother playing the shooter.

Persona 5 and the Yakuza games will be the first non-platforming games I've played with a controller in the past 2+ years. I really wish I didn't have to, but unfortunately I'll be forced to use a console controller if I want to play those games as I don't believe they support KB/M in those particular games on PS4.

Wish those games were like FFXIV on PS4, which has very good KB/M support.

Regards,
SB

1) That's horribly expensive.

No it's not. In the US it's typically the price of 2 controllers at normal price, but it's build quality is so much better. So far mine has lasted twice the time as a normal controller, so it has easily paid for itself already, and that's not to mention the improvements in game control quality it brings. If you're a gamer, you absolutely owe it to yourself to pick up a high quality controller.

Surely its possible to use either controller on either console, its not like one has extra buttons or anything thats majorly diferent.
If not then thats a business idea, make an adapter that translates the signals from A->B

No it's not. In the US it's typically the price of 2 controllers at normal price, but it's build quality is so much better. So far mine has lasted twice the time as a normal controller, so it has easily paid for itself already, and that's not to mention the improvements in game control quality it brings. If you're a gamer, you absolutely owe it to yourself to pick up a high quality controller.

Yeah I love mine. Being able to customize the height of the analog sticks, buttons, analog response curves, etc. all go a long way to making a console controller bearable to use.

Thus I'm hoping that the universal controller adapter that Dsoup linked previous works well, so that I can use it on the PS4. It's a bit expensive, but worth it if I can use a good controller on the PS4.

Regards,
SB

No it's not.
Xbox One console - £200
Elite controller - £150

Controller price is 75% of the console price, and you're saying that's not expensive?

It may be good value and good long-term economy, but those are different qualities to expensiveness. We're discussing a universal solution for different controller tastes. If the solution is $200 controllers (customisable button and stick positions requiring fancy builds), it's a solution priced out of most people's price range and they'll still be stuck with thumbsticks too close or controllers too big or whatever. A 'not stupidly expensive' solution would need to be priced similarly to current conventional controller prices.

The quality controller is 2x the cost of normal controllers, so no its not obscenely expensive in that regard.

But ... Overall, all controllers are expensive when you compare their costs to the price of an entire console, sitting at roughly 25%. In the US, $65 normal, $130 elite, $250 xbox one s console. Nintendo equipment: $70 switch controller, $80 joycon controllers, $300 switch console. Sony: $65 controller, $250 console.

Unavailable. Doesn't matter what the price is listed as if you can't buy it at that. Plus still 3x the price. ;) I'm not coming at this discussion from the POV of US prices because I don't pay them. 3x over the cost of a normal controller is a lot. A good quality piecemeal controller will cost even more. I still say that's stupidly expensive - it'll never be mainstream and never really solve the issue of controller size and configuration for the mainstream, plus would put a significant additional cost on those who can't cope with the standard controller. For those who don't like DS4's thumbstick positions, the notion of just buying a £150 controller to replace it with one that can be configured to their liking is a tall ask.

It's unavailable because so many people see the value in it at that price. :cool:

Do yourself a favor, since you enjoy gaming, you should definitely pick up a high quality controller when you can find a deal on one. I'm not saying it has to be the Xbox One Elite controller, but get a really high quality controller. You'll wonder why and how you went so long without one. It's like using a freebie mouse on your PC for gaming and then finally going with a high quality gaming mouse.

Also, my posts were not about the notion of buying a high quality controller for the replacement of the DS4, it's the notion of getting an adapter when one already has the high quality controller; SB already has the Xbox Elite controller. Perhaps in your tangent discussion that was the notion.

I was talking about designing a controller where the buttons and sticks could be replaced/repositioned. That would cost a lot to do well - whether one considers it horribly expensive or great value. It would cost more than the Elite controller I expect and that costs a lot in terms of relative price versus the default controller (3x) and relative price versus the base console (75%). As such, it's not likely anyone will go that route.

If money is no option, you could design your own setup using the Xbox Adaptive controller base today. Just need to budget around $1000 for it with all the customized sticks and buttons, going off some of the existing available accessories supporting the accessibility standard. Whats a bit surprising is realizing a typical controller has so many inputs of atleast 19 (21 for Sony) ... left and right sticks and stick top hats, 4 directional d pad, 4 standard buttons, 2 bumpers and 2 triggers, start/menu/guide, then add in the PS Share and touchpad.

Can you swap stick and button positions? I thought these were fixed in their current configuration and can only be changed with variations. Yes, the face buttons are fixed in place in the plastic. The right thumb stick is also fixed in place. The broadness of the controller would allow the parts to be swappable though. You need plug in modules, maybe a twist-and-pull out design with a custom tool so they can be securely fitted. Face buttons are just analogue inputs with a sensitivity flag, so each module could be the same dimensions (radius and depth) with the same contacts on the bottom. One can envision a very nice design...that no-one would manufacture!

It's not the typical form-factor you're likely thinking of.

But it can be anything you want it to be, because everything is treated as additional inputs. It's mostly just a main input board with a few standard inputs built in. However, items that follow the accessibility standard 3.5mm jacks are not cheap. Some buttons are $150 EACH.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/05/16/xbox-adaptive-controller/

xbox-adapative-controller-features.jpg

Best of luck getting a normal controller form-factor when everything is piece-meal. :p

Though if you're going to go customized route, it's likely cheaper to buy a typical controller for parts and attempt to 3d print your own controller shell. Though the ability to move things out might be rougher (or even impossible) given the compact design of the PCBs and how all the pieces plug together on typical controllers.

Surely its possible to use either controller on either console, its not like one has extra buttons or anything thats majorly diferent.

PS4 expects a controller with a touchpad and gyros that that Xbox One controller doesn't have so these need to be simulated. A fair few PS4 games let you disable gyro controls but touchpad input is less optional. Directional swipes (up down, left, right) are easy, anything else is trickier - although not impossible. Nintendo consoles also expect a controller with gyros and far less games let you disable that type of input.

Thats why I'd rather go with the Brook adapter since it has built in gyroscope and can emulate touchpad too. And the Brook lets you use the controller for audio too.

I dont see the ChronusMax supporting those 3 functions. The CMax FAQ only mentions audio and entirely skips question about gyroscope and touchpad:
"However due to how the CronusMAX communicates with PS4, Xbox One and Xbox 360 controllers, you will not be able to use a chatpad or any wired headsets that plug into the controller itself."

I dont see the ChronusMax supporting those 3 functions. The CMax FAQ only mentions audio and entirely skips question about gyroscope and touchpad:
"However due to how the CronusMAX communicates with PS4, Xbox One and Xbox 360 controllers, you will not be able to use a chatpad or any wired headsets that plug into the controller itself."

The CronuxMax software does simulate controller gyros and DualShock 4's touchpad using combinations of buttons. :yep2: Whether the experience is good or not I can't say.

11-20-20136-56-14AM_zps3dba346d.png

PS4 expects a controller with a touchpad and gyros that that Xbox One controller doesn't have so these need to be simulated.
OK thanks , so my understanding is
1. all xbox one games can be played with ps4 controller no probs
2. some ps4 games can be played with xb1 controller no probs, some though that use touchpad/gyro may have issues

OK touchpad, I can see that but why doesnt xb1 controller have a gyro, its not obscure tech, its even in toothbrushes!

Back