PS3 specs could change?

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by PSman, May 14, 2006.

1. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Where is that confirmed? What about KK's comments that they were adding hardware suport for BC?

2. !eVo!-X Ant UK

Banned

It was in a tread in this very forum, they said its all software and the initial emulater worked great on a range of games already.

3. Tahir2

Veteran

Good is a relative term and whilst Cell has the horsepower - video decoding also depends on software algorithms - an area ATI and NVIDIA have invested in heavily. Sony have brought in 3rd party solutions to their Bravia series for instance.

4. Titanio

Legend

I must have missed that totally. Can you link to that? Are you sure you're not referring to a gamesindustry.biz or eurogamer article that cited "anonymous sources"?

5. sklaar

Newcomer

6. Titanio

Legend

7. Acert93

Acert93 Artist formerly known as Acert93
    Legend

And yet everyone has them :lol:

As the official moderator of leaked console documents I request... err demand that you send me your copies and destroy any record of your posession of said item(s). Thanks for your cooperation.

Sincerely,

Acert93
    PhD. BS. Console Specitis
    Sony Corp.

8. TurnDragoZeroV2G

Regular

Hey, I don't see the proper amount of love spreading going on here....

/cough

Guden Oden likes this.
  9. Titanio

Legend

:lol: I have nothing. I'm simply making the inference based on Dave's reference to "documents" because the number of ROPs has not been publically announced, but I know seperately that it's true. "The princess is at another castle" in other words ;)

10. _phil_

Veteran

you mean you know its 's 8 rops ?

11. Calcoo

Newcomer

Yes, why not 16 ROP's like Geforce7800GTX?. And why still no final specifications from RSX ?

12. Urian

Regular

I have to say that I was disappointed when I saw the famous slide with the NV47 architecture.

I ever believed that the G70 was launched months before the ATI R520 only for to take advantage of the market and that RSX was the NV50 with the same capabilities of R520 (FSAA+HDR, Ultrathreading, better Branch prediction and other things).

13. Titanio

Legend

I hope nAo won't mind me cross-quoting him from another board, but here's your best explanation re. ROPs:

14. Bliss

Newcomer

It's my bet :

Cell at 3.5 Ghz and RSX at 600 Mhz...quote me on this only when final specs will be released ! :grin:

How the hell someone can expect a "downgrade" with a "7 months later" release ?
    ...and when Sony gave these feagures(3.2 for Cell and 550 for RSX), they were sure to achieve these even with a Spring release, that's my opinion...so...I say again...these feagures are, for me, only conservative estimate for Sony !!!

15. Asher

Regular

Same reason some expected a "downgrade" of the PS3's connectivity/ports with a "2 years later" release.

16. Bad_Boy

Bad_Boy god of war.
    Veteran

17. vliw

Newcomer

Very funny man...yuo will see :)

18. Guden Oden

Guden Oden Senior Member
    Legend

This is just pointless noise. You're posting in the technical forum, remember?

Why are some people so desperate for an upgrade anyway, isn't the hardware powerful enough as it is? Surely what was announced last E3 will suffice to draw some neat graphics!

19. predicate

Newcomer

Perhaps because after a year longer waiting, it would be nice if the graphics were better than the competitor, rather than simply as good or potentially even worse?

20. Megadrive1988

Veteran

just what if, the ~6 month delay was to allow Nvidia some extra time to engineer a custom midrange GPU based on NV50 tech rather than a midrange GPU based on NV47 tech, dispite the fact that the GDC slide said RSX is based on NV47. and dispite all the info from 2005 indicating RSX was NV47/G70-based. now that would throw the whole equasion for a loop, resetting everything, would it not? maybe it has been an SCEI-Nvidia deception all along, and that RSX has always been based on NV50, not NV47. hmmmm

but, that's probably just a fantasy that hasn't happened. I fully expect that RSX is in fact a midrange GPU based on NV47 technology, and not a "full" NV47/G70/G71.