PS3 OS/Interface

I didn't think any current releases used BD-J yet? Maybe there's a test disc that does? Or perhaps a JPN only release that uses it? Or perhaps they're confusing it with the menuing system, which from what I understand is not done in BD-J.

There are a few BD-J releases. You may be thinking of BD-Live.

The article Titanio posted say the PS3 is definitely NOT a poor-man's BD player, so basically they are loving it. Loading of a BD takes 7-9 seconds and playback seconds 2-5 seconds after pressing the button which is significantly faster than the HD-XA1 HD DVD player. The only point that is not found in the PS3 compared to a dedicated player is complicated equalizers and other picture configuration options but the playback quality is already very high without tweaking. AVCHD and MPEG2-TS playback, but no DVD upscaling. As for the menu, probably they mistakes HDMV for BD-Java but the menu is very fast anyway.

BTW someone has attached a 320GB 3.5inch HDD already.

I said wow! I will LOVE my PS3 next Friday.

Oh and Youtube looks great on the PS3.
294307265_625491f1a6_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Any pictures on the linux?
I don't think Linux is out for a while yet. For the earliest you'd need a PS3 owner to sign up with YDL which I think costs money, to get it ASAP. Two weeks or so after that IIRC it becomes available to buy, and 2 weeks or so after that it's mirrored for free download.

Image of the chat bubbles, which I have not seen before.

Taken from one of gaf's ps3 owners DCharlie no less.

I don't think Linux is out for a while yet. For the earliest you'd need a PS3 owner to sign up with YDL which I think costs money, to get it ASAP. Two weeks or so after that IIRC it becomes available to buy, and 2 weeks or so after that it's mirrored for free download.

Is YDL not being distributed under GPL? in which case:-

http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html

I've wondered if someone could just upload it to a server or something, for other people, before YDL distributes it with their own public mirror partners. Hard to say for sure.

That might be why Terrasoft were giving a rough idea of when it would be available - perhaps for direct download to PS3. If the license is such, the first people to get hold of it should be able to upload if they choose. I'm sure lots of tech sites would be happy to host it.

I'm pretty sure people will torrent it pretty quickly no matter what, but in this particular instance it's probably perfectly legal.

It sure is cool. but maybe the OS/Interface thread would have been the perfect place for this. ;)
ah well. It is a nice feature to have, especially if you own a HDTV setup.

very odd voice commentary I must say. :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
OK I've heard the XMB browser won't let you do downloads. But the instant messaging client will let you send file attachments to each other.

So the question is, will users be able to share game save files? Lets say someone plays through the singleplayer levels of a game, saves it and then uploads to gamefaqs or send it by IM to some other PS3 user. Will the second user be able to load that file into the game from wherever the IM file attachments are saved?

In other words, can you get Action Replay or Max Drive functionality out of the box?

I'm pretty sure people will torrent it pretty quickly no matter what, but in this particular instance it's probably perfectly legal.
Most likely what they distribute through their YDL.net contains their own application which is not covered by GPL. If you want to redistribute YDL you must be careful not to include it.

Back