Ps3 Online How It Works

Sony seems to go for the more open approach and let the whole system "float". Branding is enforced via the Playstation entry point since it's already strong enough.
I think the main consideration is they're going to link the system with music and other media purchasing later on, so they want to keep it all simple, recognizable, and cash-based. You can't advertise on TV that your songs only cost 79 SonyPoints, after all. ;)

I think the main consideration is they're going to link the system with music and other media purchasing later on, so they want to keep it all simple, recognizable, and cash-based. You can't advertise on TV that your songs only cost 79 SonyPoints, after all. ;)

WOW! Really good point.

That is an entirely surmountable obstacle. They could just say "$.99*" and then put a legal clarification of the amount below.

As for the main issue, I don't see how either way is that much more preferable. Compared to the quality and quantity of the things to pay for, this matters squat to me.

The points system is like the rewards or frequent miles systems in a way. You can earn miles without actually flying by using certain cards or taking part in certain promotions. So the value of each FF mile is variable.

But the highest-volume system for digital content has to be iTunes right? It doesn't use points, it uses currency and really doesn't require credit cards either. You can buy iTunes cards as gifts which doesn't require people to register credit cards for opening an iTunes account.

The thing is, iTunes stores in each country are self-contained, offering different prices and different content for each market. Reason is, music rights are owned by different entities in different countries so they have to negotiate different contracts in each country, leading to these different prices and content. iTunes also don't allow Euro customers to access content in the US, like especially US TV shows and movies.

So isn't Sony planning to sell a lot of music and video media, in addition to gaming content, as downloads? If they do, following the iTunes model makes sense.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/740/740601p7.html

In demonstration, the feature is surprisingly basic and easy -- you have a Friends List, similar to AIM, with either a blue box for showing them online or a red X for when they're off.

How this will all work in a game, unfortunately, is still a mystery. We've seen the PS3's version of the in-game menu (which is a condensed version of the standard menu with most features turned off but with the Friends feature very prominently placed), but the current 1.01 version of PS3 shown at this event instead popped up with a less useful menu when you hold down the big PlayStation button that just let you turn off the PS3, disconnect the controller, or quit the game. No blade, no Friends List, no backgrounded download progress updates ... we're assuming this was either the state of the early PS3 test units or else a factor of the PS3s here not being online, but this in-game menu will be critical to PS3's purposes.

This isn't looking good...

Let's hope the framework is well thought out and they can fix stuff with updates.

Background downloading would be a feature that'd be missed if it weren't there while playing a game, or doing whatever.
Not so sure about the other XMB functions being accessable during gameplay though.
If I'm playing a singleplayer game, I don't think I'd miss a feature of being able to access my friends lists and text, voice chat, browse web etc..
The other functions? Why would I need to access for example my photos, music, videos, settings when I play a game? If I want to listen to music instead of play a game, I save, quit and go to XMB to access my other media.
It's a nice feature if it's there, but hardly a feature that's on my top 10 list.

In multiplayer games, I think it'll be up to the developer to implement it in the game itself, like the game specific online stores.

Yeah, background download will be nice [for offline games offcourse].
Ted from Insomnicac has wrote in his latest blog entry that Resistance will not allow ingame text messaging. Only when you exit from your single/multiplayer map you will be notified... He says that this is developer choice...

Background downloading would be a feature that'd be missed if it weren't there while playing a game, or doing whatever.

Hmm. Dunno. It sure is a great feature though!

If I'm playing a singleplayer game, I don't think I'd miss a feature of being able to access my friends lists and text, voice chat...

I will. This is the big issue for me (excluding browsing). I really like the toast when a friend logs in and I use chat a lot.

The other functions? Why would I need to access for example my photos, music, videos, settings when I play a game? If I want to listen to music instead of play a game, I save, quit and go to XMB to access my other media.

Agreed.

Background downloading takes minimum RAM, but no way in hell I'd want them to have the OS preallocate RAM for video viewing, photo viewing, Firefox browsing, etc while the game is going on.

They could use the HD to swap out memory, but resumption would be hellishly slow and annoying.

Sorry if I missed this in the thread, but will PS3 games be run on peer 2 peer service like the majority of Xbox 360 games? Or dedicated servers like PC? Or a mix of both?

I hear Resistance is running on Sonys dedicated, and that Sony is giving the developers a choice to use there own or Sony's.

It's up to the publisher/developer. You can do peer-to-peer or have dedicated servers..most will be peer-to-peer, I'm sure.

Re. the XMB, it sounds like an echo of the Eurogamer article in that it looks like it'll be very limited in-game, starting out, which is unfortunate. I'm sure it'll mature with updates over time, certain things like access to your xmb friends list in-game etc. only make sense IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ted from Insomnicac has wrote in his latest blog entry that Resistance will not allow ingame text messaging. Only when you exit from your single/multiplayer map you will be notified... He says that this is developer choice...

He also confirmed that Resistance is using it's own "buddy list". There goes that universal friends list. I'm thinking Sony's online setup is more like a storefront and an IM client built into the OS.

The question is are most of the games going to be free to play online?

SCEH (sony computer entertainment hongkong) is doing an online survey about PS3.
At the end of survey, there is a question ask how much you would like to pay (monthly) for Playstation Network.
the cheapest option is HK$70 - Hk$80, around US$9 - US$10.

here is the link of survey (in chinese)
https://www.smap.ap.sony.com/script6/perseus6.pl?P=/sohkmc/ps3_200610.htm&Qregion_1=HKtoppage

BTW, HK got the cheapest 60GB PS3, HK$3780 = US$485

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, something is up in Asia. If Sony can address the China market securely and successfully this gen *and* solves all its production issues, they stand a good chance in winning the console war again. Both are tall orders though. Sounds too early to jumpstart PS3 there to me too.

Heh heh... so this is part of their online strategies ? One part of me admires Sony's courage and execution. The other part is screaming "Are you mad ?". China is indeed rising very quickly (China modern cities also have very good broadband infrastructure). Best wishes to Sony for this effort.

Back