PS3 on Monitor.

Kalafka

Newcomer
Hi.
I recently Purchased a 40 gb ps3, and I have a
Component and composite, and s video cables for my ps3. I also have a 19 inch flat acer al1916w monitor, with a dvi port and vga. I was wondering, what are my options to connect the ps3 to the monitor, hoping to achieve high def.

Here are the specs
The Acer® AL1916W can help office users maximize their efficiency by simultaneously viewing multiple applications on the large 19" screen. Gamers and movie lovers will enjoy the high-quality color and rapid response rate. Features 1440 x 900 native resolution, 700: 1 contrast ratio, VGA signal connectors, DVI-D (Comes with DVI-D cable), 5ms response time, 150-degree horizontal viewing angle, 130-degree vertical viewing angle, 300cd/m2 brightness, internal power adapter, PC 99 compliant, Kensington® lock supported, VESA wall mounting and three-year limited warranty.

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/Prod...=Online&category=LCD+Monitors&product=2511768

My initial googling suggests that this 1440x900 monitor doesn't support HDCP. I think that if you want to get the PS3 on it in high def, your best bet would be the component to VGA cable that I mentioned in another (Shifty's) thread.

Hmm. See, thats the thing, i came here because I got linked that this place is very helpfull and smart, which it is, just everytime i see someone reccomending me new adapters and wires and i want to know which will work 100% and for me to get at least 720p. Not having 1080p/i is understandable since my monitor isnt hdcp complient or whatnot, but what about www.x2vga.com will that work?

The thing is though, with that link you provided once again i have many options, and im getting confused at the cables and adapters which add hdcp and which ones need hdcp and im not sure if they will work on my monitor based on my specs, so thats why i posted my specs so maybe someone here can tell me which one of the optionwill work, since i dont know if they have a refund policy :p

The thing is though, with that link you provided once again i have many options, and im getting confused at the cables and adapters which add hdcp and which ones need hdcp and im not sure if they will work on my monitor based on my specs, so thats why i posted my specs so maybe someone here can tell me which one of the optionwill work, since i dont know if they have a refund policy :p

A cable will not add HDCP to a monitor, either the monitor is HDCP compliant or it's not. Monitors in general will clearly state in it's description if it is HDCP complaint, If you find a monitor that does not say as such, it probably does not have it. You will need a HDMI to DVI cable for any monitor you choose anyway's so just go out and buy one and try it.

JNewt, please, if you haven't read the link, then don't comment on things you don't know anything about. One of the cables mentioned there does, in fact, add HDCP! I know it's surprising, but that's what it claims to do anyway.

Kalafka, since your monitor doesn't support HDCP, the best option seems to me to get the basic PS3-to-VGA cable (the one that apparently also works with the Wii). If you use that monitor for PC also, it could be worthwhile to get the slightly more expensive version that allows you to easily switch between PS3 and PC input.

Ok, my monitor has dvi-d input so i bought a universal dvi to hdmi adapter as well as an rca hdmi cable, but my monitor just displayed a black screen, meaning its not hdcp complient. Is there any way i can still get 720p, maybe more?

Yes, like I said, you need the PS3-to-VGA solution. If you already have component cables, you can also use one of those component-to-VGA box thingies.

JNewt, please, if you haven't read the link, then don't comment on things you don't know anything about. One of the cables mentioned there does, in fact, add HDCP! I know it's surprising, but that's what it claims to do anyway.

Sorry that I missed your post.
I can insure you my knowlegde of cutting edge gadgetry isn't that great but gimme a break, That post you linked is day's old?? I try and read up here as much as I can but I simply can't read it all. WOW!.

Kalafka said:

Sorry those will not work either, I went threw your exact same dilemma not to long ago as my projector has the same problem, your greatest hope of getting a non HDCP compliant monitor to work with a PS3 is that link that ARWIN posted above. Believe me I searched like hell for something for my projector, this might work!.

Last edited by a moderator:
so even if i do hdmi to dvi, then dvi to vga using a dynex adapter, it still wont work? maybe it will since its vga analog

Is there a guide somewhere on calibrating a TV/monitor for PS3 use? The only links I've found are to calibration DVDs.

Hey Shifty. My best recommendation is the first Spiderman for skin tones and nature light, and Metal Gear Solid 1 or 2 test screen for contrast/blacklevels and then brightness can be done in-game such as air ducts or in the snow against sniper wolf. Digital Video Essentials (Or Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune-up) DVD can be rented at a movie rental place, but you may have to call around. I have a copy from previous work I did. But buying your own costs quite a bit. For PC monitors there are a few places online that you can search for and use their test patterns. (Note your settings before relocating the monitor.)

Another movie that tries to help is "The Incredibles". While thorough and good in all it tries to do, on the TV I used (Emerson?) the red levels created good color saturation that lead to red color bleeding in the movie akin to the issue many RCA tvs have. I haven't tried using Planet Earth. However despite the gorgeous venues Spiderman will probably be better for calibrating skin tones.

There are also some gadgets you can buy that suction cup to the screen and use CCD sensors to detect levels and aid in calibration. Last I saw some were less than $100.

Another cost free way is to do more searching. (Spiderman and Metal Gear Solid 1998 are enough for me.)
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11249_7-5582255-5.html?tag=next

Back