[PS3] LittleBigPlanet 2

I haven't finished the SP levels too, waiting for my kid. He gets punished more often these days (No gaming on PS3 for weeks). We mix Portal 2, Modnation Racer and LBP2 together. So progress has been a-s-s s-l-o-w.

Six million LittleBigPlanet user levels created; here are some of the best
http://venturebeat.com/2012/01/17/s...ser-levels-created-here-are-some-of-the-best/

Little Big Planet developer Media Molecule has announced via Twitter that six million user generated levels have now been created for its Playstation exclusive video game series.

Media Molecule announced last year that it is stepping away from Little Big Planet. Development of the Vita edition of the game, due to launch in 2012, has instead been entrusted to Tarsier Studios and Double Eleven.

Media Molecule’s recent financial report explained that its main business risks were “largely as a result of the company’s heavy reliance on the one LittleBigPlanet brand.” The company spent about £4.1M ($6.29M) on research and development in the twelve months to March 2011, saying, “it is vital for Media Molecule to focus a high proportion of its resources on R&D to allow it to maintain its world leading position as a developer of innovative games.”

Whatever is next on the cards for Media Molecule, this six million level milestone provides a great opportunity to look at some of the most interesting content that has been created by the LBP community. Not all of these videos are of playable game levels, but they all showcase the creative potential of the LittleBigPlanet series, and its users.

[List of user levels on Youtube...]

So what is MM doing now?

LBP Vita is going to be SICK... and LBP2 is one of my favourite games of this gen :D

Whatever they do next i'll be there day one (so long as they keep Steven Fry doing their voice work :devilish:)

:idea:I just had an epiphany!

Sony really should move to finance a cartoon kids series of LBP... When i think about icon characters of Nintentdo games, i realise that many of them were so prolific when i was younger because they had so many different types of cartoons and toys of them. Even Sega did it with Sonic (RIP).

LBP really deserves to be Sony's trademark IP, with Sackboy the defacto mascott for the console. To do that Sony needs to be grooming the kids of today with media like cartoons and toys so that they can bug their parents to get them a PS3 so that they can lap up the games, and once they are older they will continue to buy up the games in their droves like Nintendo fans do with Mario/Zelda/Pokemon etc.

They should do a completely CG rendered cartoon set in the main LBP world with Sackboy and Sackgirl as the protagonists. They could introduce a proper villian and cameo all the hilarious characters from the first two LBP games. The theme of "play, create, share" should even be woven into the overarching and individual episoidal storylines for the series, as these are good positive things to teach children. And additionally they could even have teams setup to make levels in LBP2 of some of the episodes of the series that they can sell as DLC... that would be super awesome.

After that, once Sackboy has garnered his much deserved notoriety they can even venture out further and make a shitty Christmas song, along the lines of Bob the builder, and even make the music video entirely using LBP2.

That would be some serious LBP world domination, and once the price of the PS3 comes down to a mass market level, it would ensure and spur the sales of PS3's across the four corners of the globe (akin to what pokemon did for the DS).

What do ya think guys? :D Am i dreaming?

Last edited by a moderator:
So what is MM doing now?

LBP Vita is going to be SICK... and LBP2 is one of my favourite games of this gen :D

Whatever they do next i'll be there day one (so long as they keep Steven Fry doing their voice work :devilish:)

They already announced that they are working on a completely new, apparently ambitious, project. Who knows, they'll make something like LBP but for a persistent online world MMO. :p There's really no saying until they lift the veil.

LBP for Vita was a little slow when I tried it in SF's Vita Hill Club. It's pre-released so I'm not too worried. However, Vita won't have the physics powess of the PS3, so I expect a different kind of user levels.

I'm hoping for more social experiments and more Internet integration, since Vita has a touch screen and more memory.

I think the Vita version is different in more ways. If I saw it correctly, it just has the one plane, not multiple layers to walk on and switch between. That alone could save a lot of physics work, but I'm sure there will be some more limitations. It looks great though and I think the new control options will make up for it easily.

Anyway, did anyone try the Muppet's DLC yet? I think I'll have it a go, though watching the trailer I realise that not having the voices is going to hold it back a little. But I think my son will love it nevertheless.

http://www.littlebigplanet.com/en/media/videos/the_muppets_premium_level_kit_trailer/

Also interesting is the new material that allows you to walk on a surface at any angle, including upside down (attract-o-gel or something)

EDIT: So anyone been playing? So far it's pretty decent, certainly better than the Toy Story one by all appearances (I haven't played that one yet, but I did watch some of it and thought it was dull - bought it today though, as my son is reaching 4 and is starting to get a kick out of sackboy - he loves playing around with the emotions of the poor little thing and dressing it up as a girl).

I've played the first two levels. They've managed to capture the Muppets spirit fairly well. The new materials / material properties are cool, you seem to be able to do a lot with them, not just the obvious stuff. The muppets themselves look pretty good. The simese voice sound works most of the time - all characters are well recogniseable with the only disappointment Kermit, both in looks (I'd have made him all-green) and in voice. Certainly a lot of room for fun user levels, I reckon, but we'll see soon enough. :)

not got his but the kids love LBP - it's amazing what sort of things they come up with :)

WRT the vita version I'm confused why they would use less layers? there were 2 for the PSP verion - you need at least 2 or the game doesn't really work

IMHO, LBP for Vita should be a different game. I don't think an intricate LBP level will suit the small screen. It's better if we build simple gadgets/tools/objects in Vita LBP and use these items in a full PS3 LBP level, or as an Internet/Vita app. I also don't mind building a 2D app/game in Vita LBP too.

Simply stunning user contributions...

Sack it to Me: The Sackies, BAFTAs, Journey Costume and More
http://www.littlebigplanet.com/en/news/article/the_sackies_winners/

03/27/2012
The Sackies Winners

For weeks now Sackfolks have been nominating levels to win one of the prestigious Sackie Awards; Celebrating the highest level of achievement amongst Players, Creators and Sharers on LittleBigPlanet.

The winners of this award will be bestowed with the official Sackies Winners Pin, and their creations will go down in history.

The Sackies: Best Gameplay
Kaleida’s maze by RikiRiki-ita

The Sackies: Best Use of Story
THE SACK DANCER (37mins)/マイ・サックダンサー by SAMURAI-09

The Sackies: Best Soundtrack
Halo – A Love Story by Destiny_Waits

The Sackies: Best Cinematic
JURASSIC PARK (T-REX ATTACK) by MaterialBoy

The Sackies: Best Visuals
ARABESK Part 1A : Introduction [1P ONLY] by dajdaj03

The Sackies: Best use of PlayStation®Move Motion Controller
[MMS] Moving With The Forest (Contest Winner) by ScorpSkull

The Sackies: Best Multiplayer Experience
Little Big Air Warfare by Doctor_Colossus

The Sackies: Level of the Year 2011
InterKinetic by c_mckamey, Fotosynthesis1

The Sackies: Creator of the Year 2011
steve_big_guns

[More...]

Yep. Can't really afford to go though. Plus behind the scenes it's more a business market from what little I've managed to find out. I'm not really a film maker, so it doesn't make a great deal of sense to chase publishers and distrubtors and schmooze. Especially when Sony still hold commercial rights to stuff created with their games, even though the copyright is mine.

Yeah, but not at that price! I'm gonna try it at some more local filmfests. If nothing else, people are really liking it. ;)

What category did you submit your entry under ?

Hey, Renegade Rocks, may be you should create a title with Shifty. ;-)

Speaking of which, my LBP2 movie was accpeted into the Cannes Film Festival.

WoW ! Can you link us to the movie ! :p

@Patsu: nice Idea. In fact we are currently in works on a build ur world kindof game and SHifty seems to be champ at that :p !

@Shifty: hey buddy, ready for some collaborations on building cool levels ??? :cool:

Back