[PS3] LittleBigPlanet 2

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by JardeL, May 10, 2010.

1. Yashamaru

Newcomer

The keyboard support is even in LBP 1 i don't see any revolution except the Mouse support (more responsive than the Sixaxis/DS 3).

Except that i see a lot of improvement in every aspect of the game (firstly the IQ is very good), the use of MLAA seem to be superb too.
    I love this game.

2. Gitaroo

Veteran

3. nightshade

nightshade Interwebz Hijacker !
    Veteran

Quite a bit of a difference.

4. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

In LBP, the developers ended up using the in-game tools because they were more efficient. Map Popit functions onto a right-click context-sensitive interface, and it'll be exactly what you'd design outright for KB+Mouse. So I disagree with you!
    Drawing straight lines wasn't a problem as you had the grids and point-editing creating straight edges. The problem was drawing curves. Creation of detailed objects was very hard and time consuming, with careful point-editing and struggling with the agrressive LOD that'd eat points. Move/Mouse input (which I assume supports tablets too) will free up model creation considerably and elliminate one of the big barriers to user generated content (the biggest barrier being unresolvable - time and perseverance!).

So far looks like they've added shadow casting on top of their irradiance slice. Look forward to learning more.

5. 2real4tv

Veteran

6. inefficient

Veteran

I was hyped already from the trailer. But I just watched that Interview video with Alex Evans. And now I am REALLY excited! :shock:

7. 2real4tv

Veteran

Looks like AA is not being applied to some edges in this shot any reason why?

[​IMG]

8. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

As the ibjects not receiving AA are the 'ropes,' I can only assume at the moment they are being drawn after the AA phase. Which doesn't make a great deal of sense!

I really hope they have good rope mechanics. Most roping games have been very poor in my experience, but a game called "Fury of the Furries" on Amiga had some superb rope play that made it extremely fun to swing around a level. That was achieved in part by disregarding the laws of physics and allowing the player to hold a postion at an angle against gravity.

9. ultragpu

Veteran

Wow, I'm getting a Monster Inc. vibe from some of the screens, irradiance slice is really something else! Is this lighting model too much for a game like Uncharted 2 or Killzone 2 to handle though?

10. deepbrown

Veteran

What about PixelJunk Eden?

11. deepbrown

Veteran

Apparently this isn't their current build. May change.

12. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

Yes. The technique doesn't work for large 3D depths, which is why LBP was 2.5D. The lighting model is the perfect fit for a side-ways scroller, and of course extensions of that pizza-box proportion (big and shallow) environment like kart racing which LBP2 can pull off.

No, that didn't have it. I can't explain why. I'd need to play 'Fury of the Furries' again to pinpoint what made it shine. Perhaps it was the level design?
    Edit : I had a quick look at some YouTube clicks. This one is a 2.5 hours playthrough! Just jumping through it, at 30 minutes you can see the rope in action, both holding the Furry out to the side, and then being able to work upside down. It was an utterly unrealstic method, but lead to a very fun mechanic - something modern phyiscs engines seem to have a neegative impact on.

13. Gradthrawn

Veteran

Another good interview. This time with Alex Evans.

I was wondering how they planned on implementing Move given the additional overhead it imposes. But given that the camera is already, always, active perhaps it's a trivial matter (performance wise) for them.

Thought this was interesting as well:

14. patsu

Legend

I'd say Sony should make QR code standard for PS3. I should not need to type in promo-codes. They should be able to encode special deals and virtual items in events and print advertisement with QR code or barcode. It's one of the features I thought should be standard in PSEye (and Natal too) !

15. ultragpu

Veteran

I see, guess it's a pretty smart design decision by MM then since they could have just gone with any other conventional way of rendering. Can't wait to see their new particle system which I heard was something amazing.

16. patsu

Legend

Okay, after so many references, I've got to ask.

Shifty, what exactly are the advantages of irradiance slices ? What makes it different and how ?
    [size=-2]It sounds like a Ratchet and Clank weapon, or a Kung Fu chop[/size]

17. Scott_Arm

Legend

Pics are looking really nice. I was a huge fan of the first one in terms of concept, but wasn't a huge fan of the execution, at times. With one game under their belt, I'm sure this one is going to nail the controls the way I was hoping the first one would. Seems like there's a lot of new interesting stuff. Backwards compatibility for the levels is an incredibly smart idea. The main thing is people have a huge amount of content to start from, that they can expand with all the new features. If they were stuck starting from scratch, with all the added complexity, it would take far too long for good content to come out. The new browser better be awesome because finding content in the first one was a horrible experience. I'm really looking forward to this after reading some of the details.

18. _phil_

Veteran

LBP is the first case of realtime GI for games.Crytek GI paper has also references to alex evans too(amongst others...).

19. patsu

Legend

No time right now. Linking in Alex Evan's presentation and Crytek's presentation:

Media Molecule:
    http://ati.amd.com/developer/siggra...ions_for_Lighting_of_Dynamic_Scenes-print.pdf

Crytek:
    http://www.crytek.com/technology/presentations/

Reading _phil_'s post, I think he's refering to:

20. AlNets

AlNets ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Moderator Legend

Indirect lighting in real-time, well, heavily approximated, but adequate.