[PS3] LittleBigPlanet 2

Give me some unfinished features please.

The "play create share" stat system that was supposed to be core to the game was never completed to my knowledge.

I assume by GUI you mean the level browsing? Because everything else was flawless.

I mean level browsing, momentary freezes of the GUI (sometimes network related but not always), poor text handling with respect to comments (which also like to freeze up periodically while you are typing), etc. Admittedly it has been around 3 or 4 months I think since I have popped in LBP so maybe these issues have finally been dealt with. I will try it out again tonight or tomorrow to see.

Network performance: Did you only play the game once at launch and then never touch it again?

Network performance has been sporadically horrible every time I have used LBP. Often levels will not load at all or load slowly. This may be database related as opposed to bandwidth of course but as an end user I cannot think of a single time I have ever played LBP without one or more instances of slow level loads or GUI freezes (presumably due to network issues). I do not get this behaviour with shooters like Borderlands or BF:BC2 or on my PC which shares the same network so I am fairly confident it is an LBP issue. It may be regional (I am in Western Canada) or maybe the levels I tend to choose do not get hit as often.

MM Content: They released two great level packs, tons and tons of stickers and costumes, music, and two pretty big game changers (Paintinator and Water). Why would they have to invest time working on levels when they could rely on the community to fill that void for free?

I personally consider the stickers the equivalent of horse armour, worse actually since originally it was promised that user could import their own pictures but instead they used it to micro-transaction people for stuff of questionable worth. The two level packs are OK but not at the level of the original levels I would argue, more like demos.

I wouldn't be minging about the DLC if the core game had shipped complete. As it was, it took many months before things like searching worked in an even remotely useful faction. It also took them ages before they bumped up the object limits so you could play the game without constantly being forced to delete stuff from your inventory (for example).

Some of what I see in the LBP2 announcement feels like things that were promised for the original. My concern is that they will do the same thing again, ship an unfinished game and then keep back the missing content for LBP3.

IMHO of course.

Cheers

The "play create share" stat system that was supposed to be core to the game was never completed to my knowledge.

The whole community concept probably needs a redesign. They spoke about advanced web-based sharing portal here:
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3174332

May be some of these stuff will find its way to LBP2. If LBP2 is launching end of this year, I prefer them to focus on LBP2 and ship it on-time.

Network performance has been sporadically horrible every time I have used LBP. Often levels will not load at all or load slowly. This may be database related as opposed to bandwidth of course but as an end user I cannot think of a single time I have ever played LBP without one or more instances of slow level loads or GUI freezes (presumably due to network issues). I do not get this behaviour with shooters like Borderlands or BF:BC2 or on my PC which shares the same network so I am fairly confident it is an LBP issue. It may be regional (I am in Western Canada) or maybe the levels I tend to choose do not get hit as often.

From what I read in GAF, someone in MM mentioned that they will now do netcode in-house in LBP2.

The two level packs are OK but not at the level of the original levels I would argue, more like demos.

I think the 2 DLCs, especially the Metal Gear pack, are more friendly than many of the original levels. We also get paint gun and water as additional creator tools. They are far from mere demoes.

Some of what I see in the LBP2 announcement feels like things that were promised for the original. My concern is that they will do the same thing again, ship an unfinished game and then keep back the missing content for LBP3.

Well, sometimes, features get pushed back due to unforeseen circumstances. IMHO, LBP + the user contents are already worth the full price.

Very charming trailer. Luckily SMG2 is right around the corner so the wait for this won't be too bad. I hope GT5 implements MLAA as well. Good sign that everyone seems to be in on that so soon.

Very charming trailer. Luckily SMG2 is right around the corner so the wait for this won't be too bad. I hope GT5 implements MLAA as well. Good sign that everyone seems to be in on that so soon.

Holy...! Somebody from PD might take note of your naive words and decide to delay the game for another century. Edit, fast! :D

Regarding MLAA in LBP2:

I thought that LBP 1 was very CPU heavy due to the physics?!
So, if it is possible to implement MLAA in a CPU heavy game...makes hope for other games as well!

anyone notice SSAO too? Seems like it.
The original game had a revolutionary new lighting model called irradiance slices, that provides a rough approximation of global illumination more sophisticated and realistic than SSAO. SSAO would be a step backwards, except maybe for point-lights which had no AO in LBP. That said, Alex Evans said they have a new lighting engine, which I guess is an advance on the first.

It does look awesome though, in textures, lighting, and IQ. Should be a landmark title for this generation regards photorealism.

Regarding MLAA in LBP2:

I thought that LBP 1 was very CPU heavy due to the physics?!#
LBP was MM's first ever PS3 title. It's unlikely they were fabulously optimised, and rewriting core components has probably freed up a lot of cycles to spend on making the sequel even better, which is typical of game development.

That's nice..but don't really see any use for them as long as the interface remains the same ie. the one built for a controller.

That's nice..but don't really see any use for them as long as the interface remains the same ie. the one built for a controller.

Why are you saying that? You don't think that the interface they currently have could be very efficientely controlled with a mouse? Because if you do think that, I very strongly disagree! Any function currently done with the analog stick can typically be done better with the mouse, like drawing materials, placing textures and so on. Obviously though there is going to be stuff added that makes the mouse even more useful - for instance, you can now 'draw' properly in the creator, and you can do that better with the mouse.

It is probably an offshoot from the PS Move integration since both the mouse and the motion controller are direct manipulation devices, whereas the Dual Shock is less effective as a direct pointing device (e.g, drag and drop multiple bots).

Since LBP2 allows for "cutscenes", text input for story telling will be more convenient on the keyboard.

I'd say KB and mouse are important for heavy duty creation.

The PS Move 3D manipulation may come in handy too, for constructing 3D architectures. Remember Anton and Dr. Mark's 3D blocks placement demo ?

EDIT: Keyboard can also help non-native English speaking gamers to communicate better.

Why are you saying that? You don't think that the interface they currently have could be very efficientely controlled with a mouse? Because if you do think that, I very strongly disagree! Any function currently done with the analog stick can typically be done better with the mouse, like drawing materials, placing textures and so on. Obviously though there is going to be stuff added that makes the mouse even more useful - for instance, you can now 'draw' properly in the creator, and you can do that better with the mouse.
I am not disagreeing to the fact that it'll be better....it'll be better than a controller for sure.
What I'm saying is that it still won't have the 'full potential' as the interface is designed for the controller from start.

And drawing a straight line is better with an analogue btw :p

I am not disagreeing to the fact that it'll be better....it'll be better than a controller for sure.
What I'm saying is that it still won't have the 'full potential' as the interface is designed for the controller from start.

And drawing a straight line is better with an analogue btw :p

Full potential - what are we discussing now then - 80% of potential? ;) Let's wait and see.

You don't know that - even the analog stick can draw a straight line more easily because LBP's editor supports a grid system. A grid system will make it easy to draw a straight line with the mouse as well.

Back