[PS3] LittleBigPlanet 2

Learnt something new last night. You can attach a controllinator to a Sackbot to gain direct control. However, this controllinator gains input to the controls, so it doubles as an action selector. That is, if you want a sackbot to grab, you can connect some trigger to the X button to perform it. You can thus wire up behaviours.

This makes the idea of sackbots controlling in-game AI the more possible. It's still a general notion for me at the moment and I haven't worked out the details, but I think you could have a back room of sackbots all pulling levers and bouncing on switches and whatnot to control in-game logic.

These are great. Is there a "Where the Wild Things are" level now ? I think it'd suit LBP very well.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23882629&postcount=1475

sQymM.jpg

20020102070216.jpg

I found this somewhere else. I think it is LBP1 but I wonder how the guy who did it, did it

LBP2, Flower style:

WoW AMazing to say the least.
How is it being done? THe players is moving on into the Z-Depth? Is it being done the way the caterpillar race was done, moving upwards in the same Z layer?

One of the users at youtube say:
It's called glitched layers, or the 3-D layers. It's a glitch, and it's in LittleBigPlanet 1 as well.

What is that?

WoW AMazing to say the least.
How is it being done? THe players is moving on into the Z-Depth? Is it being done the way the caterpillar race was done, moving upwards in the same Z layer?
No. The DOF shows the player is actually travelling into the screen.

What is that?
Back in LBP1 a glitch was found to enable creators to build more than 3 layers of depth, and these extra layers could appear in the background (dunno how it's done; never investigated!). A lot of the better creators ended up creating their own backdrops. If you look at the link Patsu posted, the final image shows a user created backdrop. That level is supremely well made with the creator building scenery and it looks gorgeous. Though a little disorientating, because you are still locked to the 3 layer even though there are open rooms you can walk past!

The Flower tribute is exploiting this somehow. The creator is spawning depth layers and moving them. I suppose they have attached a layer mover on every piece - you can see from the grass that it's neat rows of blocks.

That was pretty darned amazing! Must have taken ages. I must say, I see the spawning and I get a knot in my stomach worrying if it's robust enough that you won't have cases where you disappear and don't respawn because the entry portal gets blocked. That could be a challenge. I've finished my shooter last night and coming up with a mechanic to keep the ship in the screen playzone was pretty tough with some logic issues, until I thought of a better way to implement it. That's one of the big headches with LBP2 now; you want to do more, but the challenge of designing the underlying structure has gone up a level from LBP1 where the limits constrained what you'd attempt.

Meanwhile... LBP2 creators make magic everyday. Very nice !
[size=-2]Thanks KKRT[/size]

game dev must really watch the LBP2 scene...there are really talented people around the world, waiting for making games!

I wonder if game academies will use LBP2 in lectures and for teaching of their students?

That was pretty darned amazing! Must have taken ages. I must say, I see the spawning and I get a knot in my stomach worrying if it's robust enough that you won't have cases where you disappear and don't respawn because the entry portal gets blocked. That could be a challenge. I've finished my shooter last night and coming up with a mechanic to keep the ship in the screen playzone was pretty tough with some logic issues, until I thought of a better way to implement it. That's one of the big headches with LBP2 now; you want to do more, but the challenge of designing the underlying structure has gone up a level from LBP1 where the limits constrained what you'd attempt.

Yep. But of course pioneering will always be a little like that as well - this is still beta-phase and a lot is still new. I find that the most exciting phase - trying to figure out new, original stuff. I'm crap when it comes to finishing something up to a 'full product' (though I'm getting better).

Okay, here's a vid of my level. Off screen on an SD camera I'm afraid, although the sound is a high quality capture. It's a shooter using all three layers, with you having to switch between them. The tricky bit in creation was getting a system where the ship scrolls through the level and is locked to the screen space. Once that was sorted, it's possible to play around with level design (something I'm not very good at!).

Cornsnake gave some excellent feedback. Basically it's too hard! I felt it might well be when making it as changing layers is tricky. Tried different controls like motion, but nothing worked as well as L2/R2 for me. The camera view was chosen to help, and then the critters colour coded, but it still takes a lot of getting used to. The 3D view actually dictated a lot of design choices. If side on you can use round material like hologram that, even though a cylinder, looks round. Moving the camera to the side, long bits look stupid, so I went with paint. Strangely to use paint you ahve to capture it like LBP1; it's not available as a projectile by default. And it doesn't work as a projectile with sensors either and you have to use a Paintinator sensor, which means the enemy flashes when hit even if you don't want him to. I'm sure the crab would fluster a lot of people as you have to shoot the arms first before it's vulnerable, and the only way I figures to show that easily was pain sounds, but it'd be very easy for a player to hammer the middle with shots seeing him flash and not know it wasn't hurting!

Fascinating ! I like the art a lot. Looks fun too. Are the test levels going away after the beta ? How did you make the music ? Using the synthesizer or is it built-in music ?

I've been told they are all getting removed. I made the music with the sequencer - it wouldn't be a proper test otherwise! You'll notice that the music cuts out half-way through, despite it supposed to loop continuously, and it behaves better in the editor. There are other bugs reported. I really hope they get them sorted because synchronising to rhythm can be a real game-maker.

Strangely to use paint you ahve to capture it like LBP1; it's not available as a projectile by default. And it doesn't work as a projectile with sensors either and you have to use a Paintinator sensor, which means the enemy flashes when hit even if you don't want him to. I'm sure the crab would fluster a lot of people as you have to shoot the arms first before it's vulnerable, and the only way I figures to show that easily was pain sounds, but it'd be very easy for a player to hammer the middle with shots seeing him flash and not know it wasn't hurting!

You can make a paintball detectable by the impact sensor. Just tweak the impact sensor so that it needs a tag to work. Attach the same colour tag to the paintball, and tweak it with a label that says "impact".

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried that. My paintballs have a cyan tag on, but AFACT the impact didn't work the same, such that it didn't register as an impact. Although I may have had something rigged wrong.

I tried that. My paintballs have a cyan tag on, but AFACT the impact didn't work the same, such that it didn't register as an impact. Although I may have had something rigged wrong.

And you sure you had the tag labelled with "impact" aswell? It won't work without it. In any case it's easier just to show it. I made a little test setup and send it to you.

Ah, okay. I think I just had a collision with an unlabelled tag. That suggests to me a hierarchy of events that has tag collision > paint collision > untagged collision. There are quite a few mechanics like this that are important to take into account. eg. Running logic output to a destroyer and other stuff like a sound or emitter, the destroyer takes precedent and the object is destroyed before the sound played or object emitted. I get around that with a 0.1 second timing delay. You can trigger sounds on destruction but then it's not selective what destroyed it.

Although something I should do more of is package bits of events into logic chips and enable/disable them. If a sound is set to play on destruction, and is in the logic chip that's switched off, it shouldn't play.

I'm wondering if LBP2 is actually the ideal embodiment of object-oriented coding!

Back