[PS3] LittleBigPlanet 2

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by JardeL, May 10, 2010.

1. Cornsnake

Veteran

Noooooooooooooo
    ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

That leaves just 2 must buys for me this year. Versus 10 or so early next year, half of which who were originally set for release this year.

Yeah there are some bugs that cause the beta to crash, but most of it is just small issues that only happen in create mode. I was expecting business as usual. Fix the big problems, smaller problems as much as you can, disable stuff that you can't fix and patch it back in later. You know, like LBP1.

Kudo's to them for choosing to do it the right way. But why didn't this happen before? I know MAG could have hugely benefited from a month of extra development time.

Anyway, I hope this also give them enough time include many of the better suggestions the beta testers have been making. The beta forums are very active when it comes to reporting bugs and suggesting improvements to the game.

2. Deviousb33r

Regular

3. patsu

Legend

What's coming out early next year ?

4. bystander

Regular

I wonder if anyone will remake this game in LBP2...

I have a feeling however this might be too challenging even for LBP2 to pull off:

5. KKRT

Veteran

Killzone, Crysis, Socom, Dragon Age, Witcher and Motorstorm i think [but could be wrong]

6. Cornsnake

Veteran

Mass Effect 2.
    Portal 2.
    Bulletstorm.
    Killzone 2.
    Crysis 2.
    Deus Ex 3.
    Dragon Age 2.
    Red Faction Armageddon.
    Socom 4.
    And now LBP 2.

I'll probably buy all of those unless they turn out really bad.

7. patsu

Legend

http://kotaku.com/5654022/littlebigplanet-2-to-include-10+level-move-demo

<3 <3

8. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Just thought I'd mention that the logic is proving more versatile than I thought at first thanks to quirks. I don't know if these quirks are by design or not, but still, they're there! Most importantly, what MM call the "direction combiner" is actually a positive/negative combiner, which solves the issue I had with not being able to decrement things. Signals generated from components like timer switches or the On/Off toggle are typically binary, either 1 for on or 0 for off. Some can be set to range from 0.0 to 1.0. But none allows a -1 output. Hence every signal into a counter, for example, increments it, or does nothing.

However, the magic of the Direction Combiner allows you to negate an input signal. Just run whatever input you want through the Direction Combiner's negative input, and the same value negated is passed out. This means I can take a 1 value from a switch, turn it into -1 and enter it into a Counter to decrement it! (woohoo) The fact you can run multiple inputs into the same component means you can have increment and decrement logic to adjust a counter. Examples of usefulness are ammo, decrementing as shot and recharging with a pickup; or an oscillating movement with two timers, one for positive, one for negative, each controlling the other's direction and their output contributing to positive and negative motion thanks to the Direction Combiner.

What this really means is, cool stuff can be more cool with less effort. :D

9. messyman

Regular

Just curious.
    Will the game still support mouse and keyboard?
    Does it have the functionality in the beta too?

10. patsu

Legend

Mouse and Keyboard support may not be available at launch:
    http://forums.littlebigworkshop.com...g-concerned/m-p/294898/highlight/true#M153602

It sounds like a low priority item. We may not see it in Feb. May be together with the Move patch ?

11. Cornsnake

Veteran

I only found this out yesterday aswell. Someone put it in a tutorial level that you could copy for yourself.

There is probably more stuff like this, only the beta doesn't explain how to do it. The full game will probably explain such things in the tools specific tutorials.

It does make creating stuff in the beta a bit difficult though. You never know why if something isn't working as you would expect, it's either because of bugs, or using the wrong tools or settings, or what you want simply isn't available. Of course you can hardly hold that against it. It's a beta after all.

I've sort of put making levels on hold for now. It takes too long, and it's going to be deleted anyway. Instead I look more at what others have been making. And only trying out small stuff in create mode.

12. patsu

Legend

Media Molecule’s Evans: LBP2 delayed because not all PS3s are connected:
    http://www.vg247.com/2010/10/05/med...2-delayed-because-not-all-ps3s-are-connected/

13. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

Yeah, some stuff leaves you scratching your head. I added a joystick mover to an object and it wasn't working at all as it should. So I copied an existing object of mine with it. I'm guessing it matters which way your object is facing when it's added, but who knows?!

The time it takes to make anything worthwhile is extraordinary! I'm toying at the moment, trying tech to see if I could make a Paradroid type game etc. I'm working on a horizontal shooter that'll play as a proper horizontal shooter just to show you can, as opposed to a lot of protoypes people are trying which leave some people questioning what's really possible. Although I'm telling myself to reign in the ideas because all taht work will get deleted, so a couple of different pickups will suffice. Now I've cracked the scrolling scenery problem, I can do a proper level akin to Project X. Although managing the bounding space so the player object can't leave it is a bit tricky...

14. Cornsnake

Veteran

The movers are indeed affect by placement. Rotating them will also rotate their movements. By default they are always facing upwards. So you'll want make sure whatever you attach them to is facing in the correct direction. The easiest way is to use the grid because you can turn any object at 90 degrees angles with it.

15. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

Yeah. Oh, and for those who don't know, they've added a lock-to for rotation too, so you can rotate to multiples of 5 degrees. Very nice!

16. Cornsnake

Veteran

Here are some more tips from the beta forums.

17. patsu

Legend

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010...te-bounce-pads-lbp-bloggies-lbp2-beta-update/

Talks about…

* Bounce Pads

* Kindred levels created by the user community for PSP

* LBP Bloggies

* LBP2 beta for PSN+ members and others:

18. Billy Idol

Legend Veteran

19. patsu

Legend

LBP2, Flower style:

20. Billy Idol

Legend Veteran