PS3 Indexing External HD Everytime It's Switched On.

sir doris

Regular
Hi, hoping someone will be able to help me, as this is driving me nuts.

I have a PS3 and a 500GB USB MyBook hard drive, the MyBook has about 400GB's of PCM WAV files plus a few hundred MP3's.

The MyBook is permanently connected to the PS3 but every time I turn my PS3 and browse the MyBook for tracks it takes about 20 minutes to display all the folders/tracks, and even longer if you start playing tracks before all have been found.

The MyBook has been defraged and is 100% non fragmented. I assume that the PS3 is indexing all theWAV/ MP3 files even though there are no tags on the WAVs, as they don't support it, every time it's turned on, is there anyway of getting the PS3 to remmember what it has found?

Everything is in the title/ folder structure, somthing like:

/MUSIC/ARTIST - ALBUM/TRACK NUMBER - ARTIST - TRACK TITLE

I have tried the MyBook connected to a laptop and used TVersity to share the tracks, and the PS3 picks them up straight away.

But I don't want to use a media centre setup, as the laptop is often not available.

Why dosen't the PS3 just work as I would expect?

Cheers

I noticed a little while ago, probably after a firmware update, that it now loads the content of one folder before displaying the next folder. It takes a quite long time to get the last folder visible. I'm pretty sure that it used to show all the folders right away and then started loading the contents. It's annoying, but pressing the triangle and displaying everything works quite well.

Thanks for the reply, Yeah I'm sure it didn't used to take this long either, however I find no difference between just pressing 'X' on the myBook or Triangle and Display All and navigating to the music folder, about 20 minutes either way :(

It needs at least a primitive DB storage system of the data it scans. So annoying when you connect a Disk with alot of videos or pictures.

Back