How small solid state HD could the PS3 have?

how about increase BRD speed and not make HDD compulsory :devilish: after all i thought blu ray reading + seek time was not good enough that they put HDD didn't they???

or do ps3 need HDD for runnning XMB as well? i must be missing something here :oops:

You do realize that the Xbox1 used PC desktop standard sized 3.5" HDD right? And that the PS3 and 360 don't?

2.5" drives are very tiny and add very little to the overall size of the console. They are very thin too. Only about 5mm thick.

Here is a photo I just took of the PS3's HD. Next to it is a Microdrive HDD from an Ipod mini (back from when they still had HDDs). And then some coins for size comparison.

discssn7.jpg

Anyway people have to get out of their heads that mass storage systems make consoles big and expensive. It's 2007 for christ's sakes. It's a totally different world from the one the XBox1 was launched in. Those parallels are not going to be relevant this gen.

Of course I know all that! I own a 360 as I just mentioned.

What I am saying is if 360, PS3 could have somehow finagled in a 3.5" to a decent form factor, you could have lets say, probably a 500GB HDD for MS extortion price of $180 instead of a 120GB.

BTW I do think HDD adds to the size of the console. PS3 could have been a lot smaller I think. The components do not seem to require that much space. But there is a HDD in there.. you're telling me with no HDD, Sony couldn't have engineered something a bit smaller? (Maybe not too much, as you have a big hot Blu-Ray board in there and internal power supply). But later on, for sure.

BTW mass storage devices DO INDEED add a lot of cost. Ram and the HDD were said to be the two most expensive components in the final days of the Xbox 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW I do think HDD adds to the size of the console. PS3 could have been a lot smaller I think. The components do not seem to require that much space. But there is a HDD in there.. you're telling me with no HDD, Sony couldn't have engineered something a bit smaller? (Maybe not too much, as you have a big hot Blu-Ray board in there and internal power supply). But later on, for sure.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4908

What is a "big hot Blu-Ray board"? It looks to me that most of the space is cooling, power and the BD drive (which is the same size as a DVD drive). It's not like MS saved any space excluding the HD from the 360 core, the space is just empty (like the original PS2).

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4908

What is a "big hot Blu-Ray board"? It looks to me that most of the space is cooling, power and the BD drive (which is the same size as a DVD drive). It's not like MS saved any space excluding the HD from the 360 core, the space is just empty (like the original PS2).

I dont know, I had thought the early Blu_Ray boards were pretty big and hot. If I was wrong I was wrong.

And on 360 core, yeah but they still had to design with enough space on the side to bolt on the HDD. Not that it probably made a vast difference to size this time. But maybe in the future it will be an issue.

As I've voiced before, the price difference caused by the HDD shouldn't be enough to make a difference.
Absolutely, alone it doesn´t mean anything and certainly not at the current price point.

As the price goes down and the subsidies are removed it may make a difference though, if they have plans to reintroduce the tard model that is.

I just wonder how much cooler, smaller, and the added breathing room (clocking speed) the RSX core/memory would receive, if the PSU wasn’t built into the PS3.

I think there actually are benefits of keeping the PSU within the box in terms of more stable voltage level and less exposure to EMI noise.
The small PSU of the PS3 without fans or cooling fins is proof of that it is a pretty high-tech piece of equipment that does not generate a lot of heat.

The universal PSU is a pretty compact and neat design IMO. :smile:

20061111cover3.jpg

20061111power1.jpg

20061111power2.jpg

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=35549&highlight=PS3+internals

Anyways, I dont like built in HDD in consoles. They are not worth it and are a cost center, and also make the machines very big (PS3, Xbox 1).

In addition to what inefficient said further up, I'll just add that the PS2 had a slot for a large 3.5" harddrive and that didn't impact its size much... Not compared to the Xbox anyway.

Back