PS3 in the US press...

I think the NY Times article has some good points; however it is early and Sony does have a few issues they need to iron out. In respect to the online component, Sony is clearly running behind.

Ever since Mr. Stringer took the helm last year at Sony...
That review to me sounds like an XB360 fan picking on the faults of the system, forgetting that some of those faults were also present on XB360 at launch, and rating some things as wrong that dont seem to matter. eg. Music playback in games. And why complain about that, but not compliment Sony on the features they've got that XB360 hasn't? Didn't strike me as balanced.

Also, what's with the having to cable up the PS3 controller to get it to be recognised? That's just plain wrong isn't it? By all accounts PS3's wireless controller is quicker and easier to use then XB360s. :???:

and rating some things as wrong that dont seem to matter. eg. Music playback in games

Only someone who has never used this feature would say something like this.

There's nothing like playing Saint's Row, Forza, or Gears of War with your favourite music playing the background, it makes an absolute world of difference.

I have playlists created on my PC for all my favourite games, it's great, and it even mutes during cut-scenes, and resumes when they end, it seamlessly keeps playign when you exit a game, pauses if you view video, resumes when you end video. This is an awesome feature once you start making use ofit.

That review to me sounds like an XB360 fan picking on the faults of the system, forgetting that some of those faults were also present on XB360 at launch, and rating some things as wrong that dont seem to matter. eg. Music playback in games. And why complain about that, but not compliment Sony on the features they've got that XB360 hasn't? Didn't strike me as balanced.

Custom music play back in games matters more then a web browser to me. the custom sound track feature is pretty cool since it's inception on the first xbox. if that's the only feature difference i'd say it's not really worth mentioning.

Btw, Arwin, the universal friends list was introduced when Xbox live was introduced 4 years ago.

Also, what's with the having to cable up the PS3 controller to get it to be recognised? That's just plain wrong isn't it? By all accounts PS3's wireless controller is quicker and easier to use then XB360s. :???:

How is it easier then hitting a button on the front of the console and the same button on the controller to link them only once? I thought you had to plug the cable in the first time you power on your pS3 to link the controller to the system (not only for recharging).

Only someone who has never used this feature would say something like this.

There's nothing like playing Saint's Row, Forza, or Gears of War with your favourite music playing the background, it makes an absolute world of difference.

I have playlists created on my PC for all my favourite games, it's great, and it even mutes during cut-scenes, and resumes when they end, it seamlessly keeps playign when you exit a game, pauses if you view video, resumes when you end video. This is an awesome feature once you start making use ofit.

Just because I don't use it, doesn't mean I haven't before. It felt tacky to me, because the music I generally listen to often wouldn't fit with most games. I like getting the entire experience out of games, I suppose, that includes the music the developers felt fit with the game -- I don't see how playing GoW with my music would actually be better than the music they have chosen (which often sets a mood at any given point, which random music I choose would inevitably fail to do). It feels like it detracts from it -- if I'm playing a racing or sports game I could understand it might appeal to some (as those generally have an EA Traxx situation with garbage music), but even then I find it more of a hassle to put music on my 360 or PS3 than to just listen to the game music.

There are a lot of games out there I'd say would be a much worse experience if you listened to whatever music you wanted vs. the game soundtrack.

It just doesn't appeal to me at all.

How is it easier then hitting a button on the front of the console and the same button on the controller to link them only once?
Eh? You don't even need to do that - just hold the XBOX button down on the joypad and it will turn the console on and strap on as pad 1.

but even then I find it more of a hassle to put music on my 360 or PS3 than to just listen to the game music.

Why would you do that? Just create a playlist in windows media player, and it will automatically show up in your list of Saved Playlists on the 360, easy as can be. I haven't transferred a single file to my 360.

A lot of you are saying it's not fair, and some of these same issues, or similar ones affected the 360 at launch. While i see your point, i don't really think it's valid. This is the first mover advantage showing itself now. MS have been through this, and they've come out the other side with a polished product.

Someone shopping for a games console this Christmas isn't going to care that a year ago, 360 was just as bad, all they care about is what's the best now and right now, a lot of people are saying it's not a Sony. From their perspective, they won't care that the Xbox had these problems, nor that likely 6 months down the road Sony won't either. All that matters is the here and now, and right now, millions of kids are going to be asking for a console, and only a lucky few thousand are going to get a PS3. What good are these articles if they don't tell it as it is right now? Right now, these flaws or problems exist, or are perceived to exist, by someone who isn't a gamer in the sense we are. Their opinion, and tolerance for the problems exhibited are going to be far closer to the average consumer than ours, and that's never going to change.

So stop ya whining ;) and enjoy/look forward to your PS3.

In the context of the PS3 having been delayed, he was surprised at the shortcomings. IMO, if this was spring 06 he would not have listed them.

Just because I don't use it, doesn't mean I haven't before. It felt tacky to me, because the music I generally listen to often wouldn't fit with most games. I like getting the entire experience out of games, I suppose, that includes the music the developers felt fit with the game -- I don't see how playing GoW with my music would actually be better than the music they have chosen (which often sets a mood at any given point, which random music I choose would inevitably fail to do). It feels like it detracts from it -- if I'm playing a racing or sports game I could understand it might appeal to some (as those generally have an EA Traxx situation with garbage music), but even then I find it more of a hassle to put music on my 360 or PS3 than to just listen to the game music.

There are a lot of games out there I'd say would be a much worse experience if you listened to whatever music you wanted vs. the game soundtrack.

It just doesn't appeal to me at all.

everyone is different. Even If I didn't use this feature i wouldn't say it's not important. It'a great feature and those that use it have no issues with it. If it had problems and didn't work for other reasons as one would expect, then yeah i'd say it was unimportant.

This is why i don't like the idea of a web browser on a console. Anyone that has an internet connection will have a computer, even the slowest computers by todays standard will perform web browsing better then any console. The browser on the PS3 can't do everything a browser on the PC can (the support for certain plugins is an issue) , so imo that makes it a far less important feature.

How is it easier then hitting a button on the front of the console and the same button on the controller to link them only once? I thought you had to plug the cable in the first time you power on your pS3 to link the controller to the system (not only for recharging).

I wouldn't exactly call it easier, more just the same. The initial link is just as easy/tedious as 360's (hitting both buttons vs plugging it in once briefly), but the re-links (turning on a second controller for example) is much quicker -- it only takes a quick tap of the PS button and it's connected immediately vs taking 2-3 seconds. Both are well done and I can't really find complaints with either.

I definitely see it as a bit nit-picky that they decided to even comment on it negatively (when, overall it's very slightly better than 360's, since it connects faster).

On a side note: The SIXAXIS doesn't feel cheap at all (quite the opposite)... it feels very light (which I didn't find distracting at all -- didn't think of it while playing games, just while holding it alone), but it doesn't feel like you could break it even if you tried (it feels far tougher than the DS2 -- when you try to twist it, it doesn't give at all like the DS2 would, it's very solid feeling).

“What’s weird is that the PS3 was originally supposed to come out in the spring, and here it came out in the fall, and it still doesn’t feel finished,†Christopher Grant, managing editor of Joystiq, one of the world’s biggest video-game blogs, said on the telephone Saturday night. “ It’s really not the all-star showing they should have had at launch. Sony is playing catch-up in a lot of ways now, not just in terms of sales but in terms of the basic functionality and usability of the system.â€

As a practical matter, given the limited quantities Sony has been able to manufacture, the PlayStation 3 will surely remain sold out throughout the holiday season. If you can’t find one, don’t fret. Sony still has a lot of work to do. As Mr. Grant of Joystiq put it: “Maybe in six months it’ll be finished. Maybe by next fall I’ll be able to do all the cool stuff. I’m still kind of waiting.â€
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/20/ar...=1&oref=slogin
So, is this an article by a NYTimes journalist, or by a biased blogger :D

Eh? You don't even need to do that - just hold the XBOX button down on the joypad and it will turn the console on and strap on as pad 1.

no i mean when you buy a new controller you have to pair it with the system the first time you turn it on. After that you never need to again.

This is why i don't like the idea of a web browser on a console. Anyone that has an internet connection will have a computer, even the slowest computers by todays standard will perform web browsing better then any console. The browser on the PS3 can't do everything a browser on the PC can (the support for certain plugins is an issue) , so imo that makes it a far less important feature.

I find the browser more useful than personalized music (although I wouldn't call the browser all that important, just a handy feature occasionally). I'm not saying others don't find the personalized music useful (as both you and scooby seem to rather like it), I'm just saying it doesn't appeal to me at all and I consider it a non-issue.

The browser can be useful if you don't have a comp connected to your TV and want to check something quick (laziness). I'd say it would be a lot more useful if you could bring it up while in a game though... I'd probably use it a fair bit if that were the case (gamefaqs) -- this is one thing I would really like to see. The plug-in support is actually pretty good (java/flash are covered -- just no quicktime/wmv as far as I know) and for normal viewing I don't see it as an issue.

The NYT article brought up some good points but it also stated some things that were incorrect and failed at pointing out most of the PS3's positives.

IMO Sony screwed up by not having a game that blew away everything on 360, that is all they would've need to get positive press, but as it is people's expectations have not been met and it's showing in the media coverage.

Well, Resistance: Tha Fall Of Man in some opinions seems to blow pretty much every xbox 360 game out there out of the water, some even review it better than the xbox 360 flagship title Gears Of War.
So it's rather subjective really.
The general opinion though seems to be GoW at the moment blows everything out of the water (I disagree, but that's just me ;) )

It's a launch, with launch games. Do people (not press) really expect "the game to rule them all" to appear at (Playstation) launch?

Well, Resistance: Tha Fall Of Man in some opinions seems to blow pretty much every xbox 360 game out there out of the water, some even review it better than the xbox 360 flagship title Gears Of War.

The best example of this is using game rankings, but I don't think It supports that opinion. resistance is a good game but I don't think there's anything in it that provides decent "Wow" factor. But you're right it is subjective.

I think the new york times review lost its credibility when it said that Xbox360 is innovative and powerful. I give microsoft that its very powerful system but innovative? I'd call Wii innovative but not PS3 or Xbox360.

Back