[PS3] Blu ray playback tested

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't there a Bluetooth remote coming out for 25 bucks? I really can't wrap my head around the controller compaints. Oh noes I have to use BOTH hands to watch a movie!!! ]If they hate using the sixaxis for movie playback that much, just get the damned remote. I know I wouldn't mind.

Most of the people who complain about that have very nice and expensive univeral remotes. If sony would of included an IR port I don't think anyone would say a word.

Isn't there a Bluetooth remote coming out for 25 bucks? I really can't wrap my head around the controller compaints. Oh noes I have to use BOTH hands to watch a movie!!! ]If they hate using the sixaxis for movie playback that much, just get the damned remote. I know I wouldn't mind.

It sounds as if the controls are very unintuitive, that's the problem.

But... they're not! :p

Well, it's of course a matter of personal opinion. I'll just say that it feels much improved over the PS2 DVD/controller interface, something I guess I have an edge in having been used to anyway.

EDIT: Here's a random post from AVS - I figure it makes a good case because it's from an HD-DVDer, so that should probably help to have it viewed as 'neutral.'. It also helps to reinforce that indeed, the controller is quite easy to use during BD playback (so I know it's not just me).

Dauod said:
I'm feeding my Sony SXRD XBR1 with the 1080i from the PS3 and it looks phenominal. Just watched my first two BR's and I'm impressed so far. Both PQ and SQ were on par with the best of my HD-DVD's. Plus the PS3 is not quite as cumbersome as my HD-A1. Load times are much quicker and I had no problems using the controller as a remote. The controller works a whole hell of alot better than the remote for my HD-A1. All in all, my initial impression is the PS3 rocks as a BR player, especially at a value price, thanks Sony. Now I just need to get some more movies.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are, with the SIXAXIS.
It takes a bit of getting used to, to rewind with shoulder buttons, and use the face buttons for other functions. I never quite learned that with my PS2 and Dualshock2.
For menu navigation, the direction pad and face buttons were ok.
The main pain was the wire though.

But that didn't bother me that much, after all, I ususally just pop in the movie disc and watch it from the beginning to the end without rewinding or going into the menus in the middle of the movie. I might pause it for takin a pee, but the pause button is usually the only button I need during movie viewing.
I did buy the remote later though, and never touched the DS2 when watching DVD's since.
With Blu-ray it could be different because the more interactive nature of the discs.

Actually, now that I think of it, a controller could be a very ergonomic remote if only you learn the buttons first. It certainly is better than some remote with tens of small buttons close to each other and no backlighting (I'm looking at you, official Sony PS3 remote!) as you really don't have to search the buttons by eye if only you've learned what button does what, and the on screen "virtual remote" is easier in a darkened ht room than a black remote with black tiny buttons without ba´cklighting.

At the end of the day there will be more titles on the Blu-Ray format than on the HD-DVD format, so surely there will be titles that eventhough they don´t look as good as they could won´t be out on any other format in the same quality.

And Blu-Ray had without anydoubt the worst launch of the two formats, but it´s fair to say that the "comeback" has been very good. It´s not long ago you would see more HD-DVD fans posting in the Blu-Ray threads on AVS-Forum, than Blu-Ray supporters. Mostly to gloat and laugh of the supposedly "better format".

With DL-BD discs out and MPEG2 encodes that equals VC-1 encodes of the same they have all been shut up. And the PS3 is a cheap HiDef player that happens to include HDMI 1.3 and very nice console+extras for the same price as the cheapest HD-DVD players.

Finally the battle is down to software, which the Blu-Ray camp should have secured...

Yes i'm bitter, so what... Sue me.

There is supposedly a new version on the way, do as i do, skip the shitty encodes and pick up the good ones, i did it on DVD (there is plenty!) and i´m gonna do the same on the HD stuff.

One thing alot of people dont get I think- is Just because HD-DVD is using VC-1 doesnt mean its automatically better- the older codec has been used and tested for ages and with enough space for uncompressed transfer which the blu rays do- and esp with double layered.....

I can say myself that my PS3 plays BDs really well. Tall Nights kinda sucked in comparison to Black Hawk Down. Jesus Christ that movie looks great! :D

And the thing that I love about the PS3 is that it's so quiet. You almost forget that it's on.

HD DVD is silly anyway. If you want to obsolete all of the old stuff and start rebuilding a library, you better make the investment count, and in that sense HD DVD is simply the smaller leap. Versus BR HD DVD offers one-time cost reductions for cheapskate manufacturers because it's easier to refurb DVD stamping lines to HD DVD, and you can reuse the same optic lenses you already have flying around from DVD players. Woohoo. That's really something consumers should cheer for!

The two formats technically do the same thing as the same codecs are supported, BR simply offers more capacity. It's so easy to connect these dots.

The author says it requires 2 hands. SIXAXIS and Wiimote may eventually offer better heads-up control. Traditional remote control UI is a mess in general; they are familiarly messed up :D.

That said, it would be hard to change the "I need my old one-hand controller" mindset. So I'd imagine many people going for the Sony remote, or upgrade their Universal controls.

In that test the standard DVD playback was said to be pretty bad.
Anyone here tested it and how do you see it when compared to a mid-price DVD player.
I wouldn't want to use my DVD player any more when I get my PS3, as there'd be an issue with the connections running out on my projector. If the PS3 DVD playback is worse than my Pioneer DV-696 player, I'd need to invest in an HDMI switcher or a new AV amp with HDMI inputs.
The author says it requires 2 hands. SIXAXIS and Wiimote may eventually offer better heads-up control. Traditional remote control UI is a mess in general; they are familiarly messed up :D.

That said, it would be hard to change the "I need my old one-hand controller" mindset. So I'd imagine many people going for the Sony remote, or upgrade their Universal controls.
I agree, most remotes are totally unuseable in a darkened room, often it's only the play and cursor buttons that can be found with touch only. For other functions, if the remote is not backlit, I need to switch on the lights or memorise that the "Subtitle select" button is the third from the left on the second row.

A controller like SIXAXIS can actually be more intuative if the buttons are mapped sensibly, and the on screen interface can be useful too. Using it with two hands might be a bit strange though, but as many top line universal remotes are two hand devices too, it shouldn't be a big problem.
The biggest problem with a controller as a remote is learning which button does what, but that's what you do with every game you play too ;)
With the controllers being wireless this gen, I think I'll actually prefer the controller until there's a nice universal, backlit remote that's compatible with PS3 by Logitech or some other manufacturer.
The official Sony PS3 remote looks like it's much difficult to use than the SIXAXIS for controlling Blu-ray playback.

One thing alot of people dont get I think- is Just because HD-DVD is using VC-1 doesnt mean its automatically better- the older codec has been used and tested for ages and with enough space for uncompressed transfer which the blu rays do- and esp with double layered.....

Yeah the MS guys on AVS has most people on that forum brainwashed into thinking VC-1 is inherently better.

At a high enough bitrate, MPEG2 is fine but the problem is, the MPEG2 movies haven't been at high enough bitrates.

The main preference for using MPEG2 is that the encoders are real-time whereas they're not yet real-time for VC-1 or H.264.

The real test for VC-1 is whether MS will continue to handhold on the encodes as they did prior to launch. If some catalog title in VC-1 a few years later still looks good, then more power to VC-1 and its tools. But will they give it the same TLC if the format war is over?

The problem with that kind of review (as opposed to PS3 vs other Bluray players comparisons) is that it will be heavily influenced by the fact that most HDDVD titles today look better than the Bluray versions because of the encoding.

Unless they review the players using movies using the same format, say VC1, on both HDDVD and Bluray, then the comparison wouldn't be accurate as you're testing two players using two different software versions.

What yer say is only true for the single layer blu ray discs where the mpeg2 compression were never supposed to be in optimal condition compared to Vc1, if you take a dual layer disk movie like black hawk down it is a whole different story because given the 50bg of space mpeg2 with hi bitrate rocks more then Vc1 on hd-dvd.

This is a review for one of the first titles to be on dual layer blu ray disc :

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=25207

"Arriving in a 1080p, MPEG-2 Encoded, 2:40:1 BD-50 dual layer disc, Black Hawk Down presents an image that looks pretty damn good. "

The main preference for using MPEG2 is that the encoders are real-time whereas they're not yet real-time for VC-1 or H.264.
What is the format for digital film masters? Is it MPEG-2? If so, I think that also is quite an advantage for using the same format on Blu-ray.

I think it might be.

But I recall discussions that the bitrates are like 70 Mbps or higher.

VC-1 and H.264 requires more CPU power so it's likely they're using MPEG2.

What is the format for digital film masters? Is it MPEG-2? If so, I think that also is quite an advantage for using the same format on Blu-ray.

There's no common standard. Plus, the masters are usually uncompressed, I believe.

From Wikipedia:

High-end digital cinematography cameras or recording devices typically support recording at much lower compression ratios, or in uncompressed formats. Additionally, digital cinematography camera vendors are not constrained by the standards of the consumer or broadcast video industries, and often develop proprietary compression technologies that are optimized for use with their specific sensor designs or recording technologies.

LINK

Yes, but even if the masters are an uncompressed MPEG-2, wouldn't additional compression to same format still be faster and in theory introduce less artifacts than compressing from MPEG-2 master to VC-1 for example?

mpeg2 is a delivery format, not a mastering format.

Yes, but even if the masters are an uncompressed MPEG-2, wouldn't additional compression to same format still be faster and in theory introduce less artifacts than compressing from MPEG-2 master to VC-1 for example?

Masters are usually uncompressed avi/mov/ files , or they can be stored as tape format like hdcamsr, Hdd5, ecc....mpeg2 is a type of compression so it does not make too much sense saying it is an uncompressed mpeg2...

People are also blaming Sony's use of MPEG-2 for the lack of extras – that the codec is too space hungry to allow for more extras, or interactive features. Do you think that has been the biggest misconception so far about Blu-ray?

CM: Yes, that is a huge misconception.

DE: Absolutely. That MPEG-2 is bad. And that MPEG-2 equals Blu-ray, which is also wrong. MPEG-2 in general has been hugely misinterpreted. The propaganda machine for VC-1 has just been outstanding. Even AVC/MPEG-4 is not getting a fair shake. It is just incredible.

Why do you think this is happening?

DE: Because people who have never seen a master in their lives, are making a lot of wrong assertions. And that is a pity, it is spreading inaccurate information to consumers.

We as a studio have a responsibility to educate the people who are reviewing our discs; but they also have a responsibility to their consumer to look at our discs on the right kind of equipment. So they can say, "Oh, maybe I could have been wrong? Is it possible that the MPEG-2 delivers a better and more accurate picture than VC-1? And, oh, yeah, what are those funny amoeba-like artifacts that VC-1 can produce, where it looks like there is a jellyfish on the wall that's moving around?"

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/feature_visitwithsony.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back