PS2 sales slowing and slowing ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
WE GET IT CHAP!!!!!! :rolleyes:

u still fail to realise the simple fact made clear to u ages ago:

IT HAS LITTLE TO DO WITH THESE BOARDS!

now u and everyone can see why i (and others) don't even bother explaining stuff to u.

re-read that again.

Profit gains generated by its life insurance business could not offset weakness from the lack of a box-office blockbuster like last year's "Spider-Man" and falling sales of Vaio personal computers and stereo systems.

Sony is scrambling to rebuild its reputation after last year's shock fourth quarter loss, which prompted the company to unveil 300 billion yen in streamlining over three years to revamp its electronics business and improve profitability.

get back to us when you've finished your analysis

i guess we should all post revenue and profit margins reports for Intel, Nvidia, Ati, Sony, MS, Nintendo, Toshiba and everyone playing a part in this generation of consoles (even ALL those 3rd parties who construct the optic drives, motherboards chipsets, plastic covers, print instruction manuals, ship hardware to distributors etc...) HELL, why don't we all post profits for every shop that ever sold a PS2, Xbox and GC, DC, GBA...
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
it would have more use than these very stupid chap-generated threads, to which HE HIMSELF is not prepared to get explanations for by people who know quite a bit more than he does about the matters....

Now now, lets keep things simple, do you think Sony, comparatively speaking, A) is doing well OR B) not doing well, taking note that

-ps sales are down
-audiovisual products sales are down
-lacklasture movie-music division performance
-electronic goods demand are down
-operating profits are cut while net profits stay, which i assume comes from major cost cutting measures to make up for poor expected sales
-6.5% drop in sales
-rivals are reporting better profits and sales
-cutting work force
-cutting certain divisions
-fall in value of their shares
-getting flaks for joining the lcd/plasma flat display market late.

Now i think investments is ONE reason for the money loss, but its not all hohoho since you can see that demand for Sony products are down. Their operating profits are down, which i assume come from their daily selling of their products. The cost of restructuring is unavoidable since they realised the problems they are in. Its not even counted in their statements as yet.

So i chose option A. Sony and its products are underperforming in the face of competition.

Of coz, THAT is what I think. So you economic gurus can tell me more. Like i said, im here to learn... :oops:

see, chap, this is the most irritating part (i was discussing about this with notAfanB), u really are a bright kid, and play the part of the stupid little troll... THAT is what irritates me the most...

(u only get one of those a year, chap ;) )

that post was really good, saved for the
but its not all hohoho

also:

if u really were
here to learn... :oops:

then u'd be smart enough to TRY and be taken seriously. because YOU CAN!

Anyway, for the 5th time, this is no place to be discussing Sony's (or anyone's) financial reports. And if we were to do that, we'd need REAL reports, not articles or comments from members of the public.
There are a lot of factors involved. If Sony really are selling less than they used to, then that can cause a profit slump. That is no cause for preoccupation, since they have enough liquidity and assets to cover ANY loss in profits.

If you're trying to imply that "Sony will fall against MS" (that is the tone of pretty much everyone of your posts, many people can confirm), then really you shouldn't worry about that. Sony could be losing money and STILL hold the vast majority of the market share (to be precise, sometimes a firm HAS to lose money to retain its market share or perhaps gain some, just like MS has been doing so far last time i checked...).

Any more questions? But seriously though, chap, i'm sure u r perfectly able to hold a conversation without your trademark HOHOHO.... ;)

chaphack said:
Now now, lets keep things simple, do you think Sony, comparatively speaking, A) is doing well OR B) not doing well, taking note that

-ps sales are down :LOL:
-operating profits are cut while net profits stay, which i assume comes from major cost cutting measures to make up for poor expected sales
-6.5% drop in sales
-rivals are reporting better profits and sales :LOL:
-cutting work force
-getting flaks for joining the lcd/plasma flat display market late. :rolleyes:

Deepak said:
chaphack said:

-6.5% drop in sales
-rivals are reporting better profits and sales :LOL:
-cutting work force
-getting flaks for joining the lcd/plasma flat display market late. :rolleyes:

" In its Game segment, Sony saw sales and operating revenue drop 35.6 percent to 161.3 billion yen (approximately $1.5 billion U.S.) from the 250.4 billion yen (approximately $2.3 billion U.S.) in the same quarter a year earlier. Operating income in the division also fell, to 2.2 billion yen (approximately $20.1 million U.S.) from 24.8 billion yen (approximately $226.4 million U.S.). "

" The fall in quarterly profit and downbeat forecast stand in stark contrast to improving results elsewhere in Asia's consumer electronics sector, including a better-than-expected 6.6 percent rise in third-quarter profit at Samsung Electronics Co Ltd
Japanese rivals Matsushita Electric Industrial -- maker of the Panasonic brand -- and Sharp Corp are expected to announce a rise in profit when they report next week. And South Korea's LG Electronics reported a 93 jump in quarterly profit earlier on Thursday. "

" And market watchers say that Sony has lost the initiative to rivals after being slow off the mark in cutting edge markets such as flat-screen televisions using liquid crystal display (LCD) and plasma displays and DVD recorders.
Its once dominant position in making televisions has also been undercut by cheaper rivals in South Korea and Taiwan, they say. "

What were you saying Deepak? :D :oops: :D

chaphack said:

Hey Chappers, perhaps you don't understand how this percentage change thing works. PS2 just had an amazing year last year and since it's still at such a high price-point, you won't see such absolute sales.

For example, answer this:

Is it true?

Sony shipped more PS2's in this ONE "fallen" quarter than Microsoft did in it's first EIGHTEEN months with XBox...

Oh yes! Shame on Sony Movies for not releasing a Superman calibur film every quarter. :rolleyes:

What were you saying Deepak? :D :oops: :D

That you genuinly have no idea what you're talking about, your simply rearranging things you've seen at some time online and posting it.

Look at this quarters numbers again and you'll see that much of the "drop" from SCE was due to lagging PSOne sales [soft and hard] which you really can't blame Sony for. The fact that it's outsold the XBox and Cube this far has been impressive.

In its Game segment, Sony saw sales and operating revenue drop 35.6 percent to 161.3 billion yen (approximately $1.5 billion U.S.) from the 250.4 billion yen (approximately $2.3 billion U.S.) in the same quarter a year earlier. Operating income in the division also fell, to 2.2 billion yen (approximately $20.1 million U.S.) from 24.8 billion yen (approximately $226.4 million U.S.). "

and

And market watchers say that Sony has lost the initiative to rivals after being slow off the mark in cutting edge markets such as flat-screen televisions using liquid crystal display (LCD) and plasma displays and DVD recorders.
Its once dominant position in making televisions has also been undercut by cheaper rivals in South Korea and Taiwan, they say.

chap I almost certain that you know this. please reconsider.

Vince:

Sony shipped more PS2's in this ONE "fallen" quarter than Microsoft did in it's first EIGHTEEN months with XBox...

if you're point is that tidbits from articles don't give me anything useful for me to form what even amounts to an informed opinion then I agree.

otherwise....*bleagh* :p

Is it true?

True brudder, very true. Sony is doing a great job selling PS2.

The fact that it's outsold the XBox and Cube this far has been impressive.
PS2 is very impressive against Xbox and Cube. I agree. Sony marketing team is of the highest calibre.

Look at this quarters numbers again and you'll see that much of the "drop" from SCE was due to lagging PSOne sales [soft and hard] which you really can't blame Sony for.
OooOps, I forgot about this,

"____PlayStation 2 worldwide hardware shipments in the quarter dropped 0.49 million units to 8.78 million, while PS one hardware shipments dropped as well, down 0.94 million units to 0.96 million."

The penultimate question, Is it STILL true that Ps2 sales are down? :?: o_O :?:

That you genuinly have no idea what you're talking about, your simply rearranging things you've seen at some time online and posting it.
What again Vince?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back